Hajime (Jim) Ota, 70, a retired scientist who had worked at the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center, where his research was used in the design of heating and cooling systems for large commercial poultry and pig farms, died June 24 at the Bishop Morris Care Center in Portland, Ore., after a stroke.

Mr. Ota lived in Riverdale and was visiting family in Portland when he was stricken.

He was born in San Gabriel, Calif. During World War II, he served in the Army in Italy. He graduated from Michigan State University and earned a master's degree in agricultural engineering at the University of Minnesota.

In 1951, he moved to the Washington area and went to work for the Department of Agriculture. He was assigned to the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center and he retired there in 1979.

Mr. Ota was a past president of the Prince George's County Science Fair Association and a past chairman of the Joint Board on Science and Engineering Education for the Greater Washington Area, which is sponsored by the Washington Academy of Sciences and the D.C. Council of Engineering and Architectural societies.

He was a member of the Washington Academy of Sciences, the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, the Poultry Science Association, the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers, the Japanese-American Citizens League, the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Survivors include his wife, Mary, of Riverdale; two sons, Loren, of Rocky Mount, N.C., and Alan, of Portland; four brothers, Ralph, of Torrance, Calif., George, of Gardena, Calif., Thomas, of Citrus Heights, Calif., and Ely, of Thousand Oaks, Calif.; one sister, Mary Sakai of Redondo Beach, Calif., and two grandchildren.

DONALD W. McNAUGHTON, 62, a food broker who was active in church and in organizations for youngsters, died June 25 at George Washington Unviersity Hospital after heart surgery.

Mr. McNaughton was a founding member of the Emmanuel Lutheran Church in Vienna and the Community of Christ Lutheran Church in Washington and he also had been a scoutmaster at the old Junior Village, the District's facility for disadvantaged children.

When Junior Village was closed in the 1970s, Mr. McNaughton helped establish the first group home in the city for teen-agers as an alternative to the facility. He did this through the Community of Christ Lutheran Church and an organization called FLOC (For Love of Children).

A resident of Washington, Mr. McNaughton was born in Corey, Pa. He served in the Navy in World War II and attended the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia.

He moved to Washington in 1948 and became a food broker. He worked for a number of firms over the years and then established his own business, Sea Lines Inc. He was in semiretirement at the time of his death.

His marriage to Marion McNaughten ended in divorce.

Mr. McNaughten leaves no immediate survivors.

WILLIAM MORRIS McKAY, 69, a retired Army Department systems analyst who was active in church groups, died of cancer June 24 at Holy Cross Hospital. He lived in Rockville.

Mr. McKay was a native of Vernon, N.Y., He served with the Army during World War II. He was a time-study consultant to corporations in upstate New York before moving here and joining the Army Department in 1965. After spending about two years at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, he transfered to the Army Materiel Command, from which he retired in 1982.

He was a member of St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Rockville, where he was an usher and founding member of the Arimethians.

He was active in the charismatic renewal movement and was a member of the Community of Light in Rockville. He also was a member of SMASH, a local golfing organization.

Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Elizabeth H. McKay of Rockville; one son, John Patrick McKay, also of Rockville; five daughters, Margaret Costello of McLean, Kathleen Wenner of Shepherdstown, W.Va., Jeanne Waters of Providence, R.I., Mary Wilcox of Stockland, Ill., and Maureen Valle of Gaithersburg; one sister, Edith Zinzack of Hamburg, N.Y., and 16 grandchildren.

HELEN L. EBERT, 89, a retired Treasury Department secretary, died of pneumonia June 23 at her home in Orlando, Fla.

Mrs. Ebert, a former resident of Silver Spring, was born in Norfolk and moved to Washington in the late 1930s. She worked 27 years at the Treasury Department and she was secretary to the director of the Savings Bond division when she retired in 1965.

She was a member of Woodside United Methodist Church in Silver Spring.

She moved to Orlando about 1980.

Her husband, Dewey C. Ebert, died in 1964. Survivors include one son, William J. Ebert of New Smyrna Beach, Fla.; two grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

KRISTI LYNN BROWN, 19, a 1986 graduate of West Springfield High School who completed her first year at the University of Virginia this spring, was killed June 24 in a automobile accident on the Capital Beltway in McLean.

A Virginia State Police spokesman said Miss Brown was driving southbound when one of several cars that collided in the northbound lanes crossed the guardrail and struck her vehicle. She was admitted to Fairfax Hospital, where she died.

Miss Brown, who lived in Springfield, was born in Shreveport, La. She grew up in the Washington area.

During her high school years, she was captain of the cheerleaders and the girls' varsity soccer team and was a member of the National Honor Society.

In college, she was studying architecture and was a member of the Tri Sigma Sorority.

Survivors include her parents, retired Air Force Col. and Mrs. Lloyd W. Brown, one sister, Kim, and one brother, Allen, all of Springfield, and two grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Allen K. Parrish of Bloomfield Hills, Mich.

RICK JANISCH, 30, a Washington free-lance writer and a former news editor with the old Washington Tribune, was killed June 23 in what police described as a hit-and-run automobile accident in Takoma Park.

A Montgomery County police spokesman said Mr. Janisch was crossing Piney Branch Road near Dale Drive when a car struck him and sped away. There have been no arrests in the incident, police said.

Mr. Janisch, who lived in Takoma Park, was born in Sioux Falls, S.D. He grew up in the Washington area. He graduated from Parkdale Senior High School in Riverdale and earned a bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Maryland.

He became a reporter with the Charleston Gazette in West Virginia in the late 1970s and received an award for his work from the West Virginia Press Association.

Mr. Janisch returned to the Washington area in 1981 and worked as a news editor for The Washington Tribune before it went out of business in 1982. Since then he had written articles for numerous publications, including The Washington Post.

He was active in antinuclear protests at Lafayette Park and had been a volunteer with Martha's Table, a project that provides free meals for the poor. He also wrote songs and played the guitar.

Survivors include his parents, Hazel and Gene Janisch of Winchester, Va.; two sisters, Penni Moler of Gerrardstown, W.Va., and Jean Ann Adams of Winchester, and a grandmother, Lorretta Wold of Sioux Falls.

WILLIAM A. HENDERSON JR., 43, an analytical chemist who worked at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center's forensic toxicology drug testing laboratory at Fort Meade, died June 20 in a traffic accident in Charlotte County, Va.

Virginia State Police said the car he was driving ran off the road on Rte. 360, struck a guard rail, turned over and caught fire. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Mr. Henderson, an area resident since 1976 who lived in Silver Spring, was a native of Pittsylvania County, Va. He was a graduate of Bluefield State College in West Virginia. He served with the Army from 1972 to 1978. Since that time, he had worked for Walter Reed, where he particpated in clinical forensic toxicoligy work and drug tests.

He was a member of Beta Kappa Chi, the national scientific honor society.

His marriage to the former Luester Bagby ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Sally, and their daughter, Margaret E., both of Silver Spring; two children by his first marriage, Drema D. and William A. Henderson III, both of Remlik, Va.; his mother, Elizabeth Wimple Henderson of Danville, Va.; three brothers, James, of Roanoke, and Lee and Thomas, both of Danville, and four sisters, Edna Munns of Pleasantville, N.J., and Mattie Nelson, Jettie Pinkard and Sue Cobbs, all of Danville.

FANNY M. CAFFREY, 75, a registered nurse who worked for U.S. News and World Report from 1957 until she retired in 1977, died of kidney failure June 22 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Miss Caffrey, a resident of Washington, was born in Beaufort, N.C. She received her nurse's training at United Hospital in Port Chester, N.Y. During World War II, she served in the Army Nurse Corps.

She moved to Washington after the war and worked for a group of doctors before going to work as a nurse at U.S. News and World Report.

There are no immediate survivors.

SHRIPAD N. PAI, 60, an insurance agent with the Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. and a former director of its financial planning program in the Washington area, died of cancer June 21 at the Washington Adventist Hospital in Takoma Park.

Mr. Pai, a resident of Silver Spring, was born in Gokund, India. He came to this country in 1963 and settled in the Washington area. He worked for the Prudential Insurance Co. before joining Metropolitan about five years ago.

He was a director and former president of the Suburban Maryland Life Underwriters Association and a member of the Greater Colesville Area Chamber of Commerce.

Survivors include his wife, Saraswati Pai, and one daughter, Smita, both of Silver Spring, and four brothers and one sister, all of India.

ALFRED P. (TONY) HOBBS, 53, a former pressman with the old Judd & Detweiler Printing Co. who also had been vice president of the Pressman's Union Local 72, died June 21 at Anne Arundel General Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Hobbs, who lived in Arnold, Md., was born in Washington. He served in the Army during 1952 and joined Judd & Detweiler that same year. He remained with the company until it went out of business in 1986.

His marriages to Norma, Carolyn and Janice Hobbs ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Nancy Hobbs of Arnold; three children by his first marriage, Anthony Hobbs of Bowie, Alfred Hobbs of Hyattsville and Alice Hobbs of North Beach, Md.; two stepchildren, Kelli and Brooks Thompson, both of Arnold; three sisters, Pearl Guiliano of Golden Beach, Md., Betty Biddle of Edgewater, Md., and Barbara Lonigan of Fort Washington, and two brothers, Harold E. Hobbs of Forestville and Ralph H. Hobbs of Brandywine.