Brian J. Hessler, 60, a retired official of the Commerce Department and former employe of the Central Intelligence Agency who was active in volunteer work for the mentally retarded, died June 29 at a hospital in Baltimore after a stroke.

A resident of Potomac, he was attending a convention in Baltimore when he was stricken.

Mr. Hessler was at the CIA from 1954 to 1969 and worked on personnel and budget matters. He then worked for Sen. Barry Goldwater (R-Ariz.) and William E. Brock (R-Tenn.) while Brock was in both houses of Congress.

In 1971, Mr. Hessler joined the Commerce Department. He was a congressional liaison officer with the international trade office at the time he retired in 1979.

He then devoted himself to volunteer work for the mentally retarded. Shortly before his death, he was elected southern regional vice president of the Maryland State Association for Retarded Citizens. He also was a past president of the Montgomery County Association of Retarded Citizens.

He had served on the boards of the A.R. Bancroft Development Corp., which helps find housing for retarded citizens, and the Benedictine School for Exceptional Children in Ridgely, Md.

Mr. Hessler was a past president of the men's club at Holy Cross Catholic Church in Garrett Park. He also had been active in the Boy Scouts and in blood donor programs.

A native of Washington, Mr. Hessler graduated from St. John's College High School. He received a bachelor's degree in business administration and a master's degree in personnel psychology from George Washington University.

Survivors include his wife, Lois, and one daughter, Tracey Hessler, both of Potomac; one son, Kevin, of Kensington; two brothers, Leo Hessler of Gaithersburg and David Hessler of Washington, and one sister, Sheila Hessler of Palo Alto, Calif.


68, a retired member of the Marine Corps Band who also was a violin maker and the owner of an antiques business, died of cancer June 22 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

A master gunnery sergeant at the time he retired in 1970, he enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1940. During World War II, he served in the Pacific and took part in the campaigns for Tinian, Saipan, the Marshall Islands and Iwo Jima. He was awarded the Purple Heart.

After the war, Sgt. Hegedus was the leader of the Marine Band in Tientsin and Beijing. He was stationed in San Diego in 1949 when he was ordered to Washington to join the Marine Band, which is known as "The President's Own."

Sgt. Hegedus' primary instrument was the violin. He also played the clarinet and the saxophone. He was a member of the Marine Band string quartet and frequently played at the White House.

In addition to his work with the band, he made and repaired violins. In 1974, he established the House of Hegedus, an antiques store in Bowie.

A resident of Bowie, Sgt. Hegedus was born in Chicago and received his musical education there.

His marriage to Catherine Hegedus ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth Hegedus of Bowie; two children by his first marriage, Mark Hegedus of Oxon Hill and Melody Robinson of Chevy Chase; four stepchildren, Michael, Christina and Adele Cheatham, all of Bowie, and Nelson Cheatham of San Diego, and two grandchildren.


56, secretary-treasurer of the Silco Truck Service, a Springfield repair and towing service, who also was active in volunteer work in Northern Virginia, died of cancer June 28 at her home in Fairfax.

Mrs. Silberman had been secretary-treasurer of Silco since 1958. She also had been an administrative assistant at what was then the Old Dominion Bank of Arlington from 1949 to 1959, then spent 10 years as a partner in the old Roadside Market grocery in Fairfax.

She had served as secretary of the PTA at Wakefield Forest Elementary School in Fairfax, where she helped coordinate fund-raising endeavors and had a playground named in her honor. She also was a member of the Animal Rescue League in Fairfax County.

Mrs. Silberman was a native of Arlington. She was a graduate of Washington-Lee High School and Benjamin Franklin University.

Survivors include her husband of 35 years, David J. Silberman, and one daughter, Laura Ann Wright, both of Fairfax; two brothers, James Porter of Midland, Va., and Francis Porter of Florida; three sisters, Peggy Porter of Calverton, Va., Dorothy Dansberger of Annandale, and Ethel Turner of Burgess, Va., and one grandchild.


88, a resident of the Washington area for about 60 years, died of Parkinson's disease June 29 at the Pleasant Living Nursing Home in Edgewater, Md.

Mrs. Ransom was born in Craig County, Va. She had lived in Washington and Colmar Manor before moving to Edgewater about 20 years ago.

Her husband, George Wesley Ransom, died in 1968. A son, Fred Ransom Sr., died in 1976, and a daughter, Gladys Dungan, died in 1982.

Survivors include one daughter, Emily Roberts of Edgewater; one son, Eugene Ransom of LaPlata; 15 grandchildren, and 20 great-grandchildren.


63, a Foreign Service officer's wife who accompanied her husband to posts in Europe and South America, died of cancer June 27 at a hospital in Rutland, Vt.

Mrs. Wheeler was born in Canisteo, N.Y., and grew up in Painted Post, N.Y. She was a graduate of Michigan State University.

She first moved to the Washington area in 1950. During her husband's Foreign Service career she accompanied him to posts in Italy, Yugoslavia, Romania and Brazil.

She was a former vice president of the Foreign Service Wives Association.

A former resident of Bethesda and Washington, Mrs. Wheeler moved to Manchester Village, Vt., in 1980.

Survivors include her husband, Paul E. Wheeler of Manchester Village; one daughter, Laura Dias Leite of Rio de Janeiro; one son, Paul E. Wheeler Jr. of New York City, and three grandchildren.


72, a Washington native and a former first vice president of the National Chapter of the Daughters of the U.S. Army, died of lung cancer June 23 at the Woodbine nursing home in Alexandria.

Mrs. Reilly, a resident of Alexandria since the 1950s, was born into an Army family in Washington and grew up here and at various military posts around the country.

In 1934, she settled in Washington. For about a year in the mid-1930s, she worked in the Silver Wheel, a drapery shop on Connecticut Avenue NW. She later was a volunteer with the Red Cross Bloodmobile and during World War II she was a nurse's aide at LaGarde Army Hospital in New Orleans. In the late 1940s she was an assistant kindergarten teacher at the Potomac School.

In 1951, she married George M. Reilly, an Army officer who retired as a colonel. He died in 1979.

Mrs. Reilly was a member of the Scottish Terrier Club of America and she attended Catholic services at the Post Chapel at Fort Myer.

Survivors include two children, Patricia M. Reilly and Christopher C. Reilly, both of Alexandria, and one sister, Mrs. Robert H. Booth of Gibson Island, Md.


92, a musician and former music school proprietor who had lived in the Washington area since the mid-1940s, died of a pulmonary embolism June 25 at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington in Rockville.

He owned the old Rodell music schools here and in New England from the mid-1940s to the early 1970s. A string musician, he had until recently played classical music at private gatherings.

Mr. Rosenblum was a native of Romania and came to this country at an early age. He lived in New York and New England before moving here and served with the Navy in the Atlantic during World War II.

He was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the AMVETS, and the Jewish War Veterans and was a recipient of a distinguished service award of the American Legion's Washington district.

His first wife, the former Mary Ambush, died in 1955. His second wife, the former Laurette Hanes, died in 1980. A daughter by his first marriage, Marcia Nagdimon, died in 1983. His survivors include two grandchildren.