Marian Huntington Chase Scott, 87, the wife of former Senate minority leader Hugh Scott (R-Pa.), died June 30 at Georgetown University Hospital of complications after a stroke.

During her 63-year marriage to Sen. Scott, Mrs. Scott was active in several congressional wives organizations, and she participated in many of her husband's political campaigns. She helped organize and direct campaign headquarters, accompanied her husband on campaign travels and met informally with groups of constituents to promote his candidacies.

She also did volunteer work with several youth organizations in the Washington area and in Philadelphia, and she was an enthusiastic amateur artist.

Mrs. Scott was born in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., and reared in Germantown, Pa. She attended the Philadelphia College of Art.

Before moving to Washington after her husband's election to the House of Representatives in 1940, Mrs. Scott was active in the Visiting Nurse Association in Pennsylvania.

She was a volunteer in civil defense organizations during her husband's Navy service in World War II.

Mrs. Scott was a member of the Sulgrave Club, the Daughters of the American Revolution and the National Society of Colonial Dames of America. She was a member of the national board of what is now the Medical College of Pennsylvania and a member emeritus of the board of the Woodmere Art Gallery in Philadelphia.

In addition to her husband, of Washington, Mrs. Scott is survived by one daughter, Marian S. Concannon of Point Pleasant, Pa., and eight grandchildren.

CARL TEMPLETON EARLES, 63, a retired Army officer and Labor Department official who was a volunteer auxiliary police officer of the Fairfax County Police Department, died of cancer July 1 at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Col. Earles, a resident of Springfield, had been a volunteer with the Fairfax County police since 1981. He specialized in "neighborhood watch" and other crime prevention programs and he also conducted analyses of crime statistics that the department used in deploying manpower.

In 1984, he was a volunteer consultant to the Criminal Justice Services Department of the American Association of Retired Persons. He was a member of the Fairfax County Auxiliary Police and the Northern Virginia and Virginia Crime Prevention associations.This year he received a Virginia state award for his crime prevention work.

A native of El Paso, Col. Earles attended Texas A&M University and graduated from the University of Maryland. He enlisted in the Army in World War II and served in Europe. He was commissioned in 1945. He commanded an infantry company in the Korean war. He was stationed in Washington when he retired in 1966 with the rank of lieutenant colonel.

His military decorations include the Bronze Star and the Combat Infantryman's Badge.

After leaving the Army, Col. Earles joined the Labor Department and worked with the Job Corps and the Indian and Native American Employment Training Programs. After his retirement in 1979, he worked briefly for Prince William County and for the National Urban Indian Council in Denver.

Col. Earles was a member of the Police Citizens Advisory Committee for the West Springfield District, the National Genealogical Society, the Mount Vernon Chapter of the Disabled American Veterans, Springfield Post No. 7327 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Retired Officers Association. He was a charter member of the Messiah United Methodist Church in Springfield and a master Mason.

Survivors include his wife of 40 years, the former Barbara Ann LaDue of Springfield; two daughters, Constance McConnell of Simsbury, Conn., and Deborah Leigh Earles of Springfield, and four grandsons.

EDNA ROTHWELL RYAN, 80, a lifelong area resident and member of the Catholic Daughters of America, who helped found a family business, died of cancer June 29 at Holy Cross Hospital. She lived in Silver Spring.

She helped found the Metropolitan Lithograph Co. of Bladensburg and was active in it until it was sold in 1977. From about 1920 to 1936, she had been a reporter with the Credit Bureau of Washington. Mrs. Ryan was born in Washington.

Survivors include her husband, John T., of Silver Spring; a son, John (Rocky) Ryan of Columbia; two daughters, Mary Lou Polits of Alexandria, and Joanne Natoli of Chevy Chase; 10 grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

ANTHONY R. GRIFFIN, 68, a former area parish priest who also had been a high school counselor and Washington Center chaplain, died June 29 at Carroll Manor nursing home in Hyattsville. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Griffin was a native of New York City. He graduated from Fordham University and St. Mary's Seminary in Baltimore before being ordained in 1953. Before retiring in 1985, he had been pastor of several Maryland churches, including St. Anthony's at North Bend, St. Nicholas in Laurel, and Our Lady Star of the Sea in Solomons, Md. He was a counselor at St. John's College High School here from 1968 to 1971.

Survivors include two brothers, Michael, of Pleasantville, N.Y., and John, of Smithboro, N.Y.