Former D.C. deputy mayor Alphonse G. Hill, who has been sentenced to six to 30 months in prison for defrauding the city government, testified yesterday for more than five hours before a federal grand jury investigating District government contracting.

Hill, who said he was appearing before the grand jury under an order compelling his testimony, said he was asked about city-related matters. Sources said the former deputy mayor was asked about specific contracts let by the city and that he listened to tape recordings of wiretapped conversations.

Sources said none of the recordings was of Mayor Marion Barry.

"I don't know of any corruption in the mayor's administration involving the mayor, and I wasn't asked {about the mayor}," Hill said in a brief interview later.

Hill is the first high-ranking current or former city official to be called before a federal grand jury since May 22, when U.S. Attorney Joseph E. diGenova disclosed that the FBI had ended the 17-month undercover phase of a major investigation into D.C. contracting. On the same day, Hill pleaded guilty to fraud and tax charges.

Also on May 22, FBI agents searched the homes of convicted cocaine dealer Karen K. Johnson and Barry aide David E. Rivers as well as the offices of D.C. businessmen John B. Clyburn and T. Conrad Monts. Former city administrator Elijah B. Rogers spent about an hour before another federal grand jury on the same day.

Fifteen subpoenas were issued to at least six city agencies and several city officials, including Barry. Barry, subpoenaed to turn over two pairs of shoes he allegedly received through a city contractor, has said he is not a target of the investigation.

No charges have been filed in the investigation, and no arrests have been made.

Hill, who pleaded guilty to steering city contracts worth $300,000 to a friend's auditing firm, has not been linked directly to the wider contracting probe, but a search warrant for Decisions Information Systems Corp., then headed by Clyburn, asked for any materials involving Hill.

"I'm answering questions," Hill said yesterday during a break in the grand jury's proceedings. "You know I've never {volunteered information} during this whole thing."

Hill, who was also fined $5,000, is to report to the federal prison camp at Allenwood, Pa., on July 14.

Two aides to Barry, former press secretary Annette Samuels and Anita Bonds, manager of his 1986 campaign, were questioned last week by another grand jury that is hearing testimony concerning D.C. contracting practices.

Johnson has told prosecutors that she received as much as $25,000 in exchange for not testifying three years ago before a federal grand jury investigating possible drug use by city officials, including Barry, and others. She was jailed for eight months for her refusal to testify and then served four months in a halfway house for selling cocaine.

Sources have said that Clyburn made payments to Johnson and that her defense attorney, John A. Shorter, helped arrange the payments.

Barry, who has acknowledged having a "personal" relationship with Johnson, has said he made no payments to Johnson and did not instruct anyone else to.