Albert Small, 84, a retired Washington mortgage banker who was active in business, community and service organizations, died July 6 at Georgetown University Hospital after heart surgery.

Mr. Small, a lifelong resident of Washington, was a member of the Jewish Historical Society. With his wife, Lillian H. Small, he made it possible for the society to save the original building of the Adas Israel Synagogue.

The structure was at Sixth and I streets NW and it was scheduled for demolition to make way for Metro construction. Instead, it was moved to Third and G streets NW and it is now the Lillian and Albert Small Jewish Museum of Washington.

Mr. Small graduated from McKinley Technical High School and he attended George Washington University. He went into the real estate business in the 1920s. In the early 1930s, he became a partner in the mortgage banking firm of Godden and Small. In the early 1950s, this became the Albert Small Mortgage Co. Mr. Small headed the firm until 1982, when he retired and sold it.

Mr. Small also was a Washington mortgage loan correspondent for the Irving Trust Co. of New York and the Union Central Life Insurance Co. of Cincinnati.

He was a director of the National Savings & Trust Co., the Greater Washington Board of Trade, the Washington Board of Realtors, the Washington Hebrew Congregation and the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington. He was a member of the National Conference of Christians and Jews and the Mortgage Bankers Association.

In addition to his wife of 62 years, of Washington, survivors include two children, Carolyn S. Alper of Washington and Albert H. Small of Bethesda; one sister, Lillian Lichtenberg of Washington; five grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.


60, a Washington lawyer who was former deputy chief of the organized crime and racketeering section in the Justice Department's criminal division and also a former general counsel of the National Rifle Association, died of cancer July 7 at George Washington University Hospital.

At his death, Mr. Featherstone was a partner in the Washington law firm of Santarelli, Smith, Kraut & Carroccio.

He joined the Justice Department in 1955 and was deputy chief of the organized crime and racketeering section when he left in the mid-1970s. In that capacity he organized anticrime strike forces in Kansas City, Mo., Newark and Chicago.

After he left Justice Mr. Featherstone spent about three years at the Treasury Department, where he was deputy assistant secretary for enforcement. His duties involved supervision of the Customs Service, the Secret Service and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

From 1978 until 1982 he was general counsel of the National Rifle Association.

Mr. Featherstone, a resident of Clifton, Va., was born in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. He graduated from St. Peter's College and Fordham University law school.

During World War II he served in the Navy in the Philippines.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Featherstone of Clifton; two sons, James J. Featherstone III of Burke and Mark Edward Featherstone of Sterling; and two daughters, Mary Christine and Ann Patricia, both of Clifton.


58, the wife of a Foreign Service officer and an assistant to the headmaster of The Maret School in Washington, died of cancer July 6 at her home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Crawford was born in Philadelphia. She graduated from Wheaton College in Massachusetts.

She moved to the Washington area in 1951 after her marriage to William R. Crawford, a Foreign Service officer. She accompanied him on assignments to Saudi Arabia, Lebanon, Yemen, Aden, Morocco and Cyprus. Mr. Crawford was U.S. ambassador to Yemen and Cyprus.

Mrs. Crawford went to work at The Maret School in 1984 and she was an administrative assistant to the headmaster and a librarian.

She was a volunteer in physical rehabilitation at the National Institutes of Health and she also was a potter.

In addition to her husband, of Bethesda, survivors include one daughter, Sarah Lowry Crawford, also of Bethesda; one brother, William C. Lowry III of Philadelphia, and one sister, Joan Lowry Cope of Radnor, Pa.


79, a musical agent and a former bandleader in the Washington area, died of cancer July 7 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mr. Lesieur, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Washington. During World War II he served in the old Army Air Forces in the China-Burma-India Theater.

He began his musical career as a drummer. After the war, he founded Steve Lesieur's Orchestra. The group played at various clubs and at private functions in the Washington area and also on the Wilson Line excursion boats.

In the late 1950s, Mr. Lesieur founded a musical booking agency, Steven Lesieur's Music. Through it he made bookings for conventions, weddings and other events and he continued the business until his death.

He was a member of the American Federation of Musicians and St. Mary's Catholic Church in Alexandria.

His wife, Peggy Lesieur, died on Feb. 23, 1987. Survivors include one daughter, Rosemarie Babel of Alexandria, and four sisters, Madelyne Crounse of Fairfax, Anna Owens of East Lansdowne, Pa., Agnes Louise Ambrogi of Arlington and Helen Lesieur of Fredericksburg, Va.


79, the widow of a retired Army officer who accompanied her husband to military posts around the world during his career, died of cancer July 6 at her home in McLean.

Mrs. Brown was born in Washington, the daughter of an Army officer, and during her childhood she moved about the country as his assignments changed.

She was a member of the Potomac Hills Garden Club.

Her husband, retired Brig. Gen. Edward A. Brown Jr., died in 1984. A daughter, Joan M. Kelly, died in 1980.

Survivors include one son, Army Col. Edward A. Brown III of Alexandria; one brother, retired Army Col. Bernard E. McKeever Jr. of Orlando, Fla.; and three granddaughters.