Maurice Friedman, 78, a retired Washington lawyer who had been active in political and community organizations, died of cardiac arrest July 6 at Suburban Hospital. He had Parkinson's disease.

Mr. Friedman, a resident of Silver Spring, was born in Bridgeport, Conn. He came to Washington in 1926 and graduated from George Washington University and the GWU law school.

He had an independent private law practice in Washington until he retired in 1974.

Mr. Friedman was a former president of the Forest Hills Citizens Association, a member of the board of directors and the executive board of the D.C. chapter of the American Red Cross and a former regional chairman of the Red Cross blood program.

He had been on the regional executive committee of the B'nai B'rith and the executive board of the Jewish Community Council of Greater Washington. He had been a volunteer for the United Jewish Appeal.

He participated in the presidential campaigns for Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1952 and 1956 and he served on the Eisenhower inaugural committees.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth A. Friedman of Silver Spring; two sons, Alan Friedman of Reston and David Friedman of New York City; one brother, Samuel Friedman of Baltimore, and three grandchildren.

DOROTHY VAN BUSKIRK REIFENSTEIN, 78, a resident of the Washington area since 1965 who was active in patriotic organizations, died of kidney ailments July 6 at the Bethesda Naval Hospital. She lived in Bethesda.

Mrs. Reifenstein was born in Peoria, Ill. She graduated from Syracuse University. She had accompanied her husband, George H. Reifenstein, a naval officer who retired as a rear admiral, on various military assignments.

She was a member of Chapter III of the Colonial Dames of America, the Susan Riviere Hatzel Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Potomak River Chapter of the Colonial Dames XVII Century. She also was a member of the St. Francis Episcopal Church in Potomac.

In addition to her husband, of Bethesda, survivors include two daughters, Nancy Porto of Juneau, Alaska, and Mary Reifenstein of Jamaica; one son, George H. Reifenstein Jr. of Auke Bay, Alaska; two sisters, Dr. Elizabeth Van Buskirk of Elmira, N.Y., and Winifred Sears of Clifton Park, N.Y., and four grandchildren.

ROSEMARY SHEEHAN ARRINGTON, 53, the deputy director of small business at the National Security Agency, died July 6 at Kimbrough Army Hospital at Fort Meade, Md., after a heart attack.

Mrs. Arrington, a resident of Rockville, was born in Washington. She graduated from the Stoneridge School and American University.

She began working at the NSA in 1957 and for much of her career she was a contract specialist in the purchase of data processing equipment. She recently received the NSA Director's Productivity Quality and Service Award and the NSA Cryptologic Suggestion Award for suggestions on increasing the efficiency of the procurement process at the agency.

Mrs. Arrington was a volunteer with the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation and cotreasurer of its 1987 Mardi Gras Extravaganza, a series of fund-raising events. She was a member of St. Elizabeth's Catholic Church in Rockville and the Annunciation Catholic Church in Washington.

Survivors include her husband, William F. Arrington of Rockville, a daughter, Diane Alahouzas of Washington; and two grandchildren.

ROSLYN SHELESNYAK, 82, a painter and former Smithsonian Institution employe who lived in the Washington area for about 20 years before moving to California in 1985, died July 4 in a hospital in Santa Barbara, Calif., after surgery for a heart ailment.

From 1970 to 1977, Mrs. Shelesnyak was a coordinator of the Smithsonian's world population conference.

A resident of Solvang, Calif., she was born in New York City. She lived in Israel from 1952 to 1965. Her paintings have been exhibited in Europe and Israel, at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore and at the Georgetown Gallery in Washington.

Survivors include her husband, Dr. M.C. Shelesnyak of Solvang; one daughter, Betty Zondheimer of London, and two grandchildren.

GRACE WHEATFIELD LOMAX, 77, a retired nurse at Children's Hospital in Washington, died of cardiopulmonary arrest July 6 at the Washington Hospital Center.

Mrs. Lomax was born in Richmond and moved to Washington in 1923.

She was a graduate of the old Homeopathic School of Nursing here. She worked at Children's Hospital from 1966 to 1976. She wrote several children's stories for magazine publication.

A resident of Washington, she was a former board member of the Fairfax County Lay Health Association, a former member of the Business and Professional Women's Club in Washington and a former member of the English-Speaking Union.

Her marriage to Ralph E. Lomax Sr. ended in divorce. A son, Army Capt. R. Easton Lomax Jr., died in 1970.

Survivors include one son, Lawrence C.W. Lomax of Washington.

MARIA LUISA LABARRAQUE, 64, a graduate of the University of Havana medical school who came here in 1951 as a resident physician in pathology, died of cancer July 7 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Labarraque, who was born in Havana, completed her university training there in 1949. She did internships in Wheeling, W.Va., and Detroit before moving here to do residencies at Sibley Memorial Hospital, the Veterans Administration Hospital, D.C. General Hospital and the Washington Hospital Center.

In 1966 and 1967, she had a fellowship from the National Institutes of Health at the infectious diseases laboratory at the Howard University medical school. In 1967 and 1968, she was a student at the New York Polyclinic Medical School and Hospital in New York City. For reasons of health she had to forgo her medical career.

Mrs. Labarraque was a Christian Scientist.

Her marriage to Dr. Jorge Labarraque ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Jorge Labarraque Jr. of Chevy Chase and Marta Taubman of Washington; one brother, Gustavo Iriarte of Cleveland, and one grandson.

CARLTON CONRAD SCHULLER, 76, a retired personnel analyst with the Navy Department, died July 5 at Lynchburg (Va.) General Hospital after a heart attack.

A resident of Fairfax City, he was attending a business conference in Lynchburg.

Mr. Schuller was born in Hagerstown, Md. He graduated from Lafayette College in Pennsylvania. During World War II, he served in the Navy. He moved to the Washington area in 1951 and became a civilian employe of the Navy Department. He retired in 1973.

He was a member of the Washington Council of the National Association of Investment Clubs, the Maryland Appalachian Trail Club, and the Hagerstown Civil War Roundtable.

His marriage to Anna M. Schuller ended in divorce. Survivors include three daughters, Laura U. Schuller of Fairfax and Mary K. Schuller-Sipila and Stella A. Schuller, both of Seattle; two sons, Christopher C. Schuller of Arlington and Jeremy Schuller of Alexandria, and three grandchildren.

JOHN ANDREW CUMMINS, 88, a retired district commercial supervisor with the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co., died July 6 at Fairfax Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Fairfax.

Mr. Cummins was born in Natural Bridge, Va. He graduated from Washington & Lee University. He moved to the Washington area in 1924 and joined C&P as an auditor. He retired in 1964.

He was a past president of Arlington Kiwanis Club and a past director of the Arlington Chamber of Commerce. He was a member of the Alexander Graham Bell Chapter of the Telephone Pioneers of America.

Mr. Cummins also had been an elder of Clarendon Presbyterian Church and was a member of the Lyon Village Citizens Association in Arlington.

His first wife, Marianne Cummins, died in 1962.

Survivors include his wife, the former Mary Kirby Hutchinson, of Fairfax; one daughter by his first marriage, Patricia Anne Sever of Fairfax; one sister, Betty Cummins of Lexington, Va., and three grandchildren.