In the obituary in yesterday's editions of Elizabeth Lohr Stallsmith, 78, Mrs. Stallsmith's middle name was incorrect. (Published 7/11/87)

Elizabeth Dixon Abernethy, 59, a former Peace Corps official and executive director of the Foreign Students Service Council, a nonprofit organization that assists foreign students in the United States, died of a brain tumor July 8 at George Washington University Hospital.

With her husband John, Mrs. Abernethy was director of the Peace Corps in the Philippines from 1978 to 1981. She had been active in Democratic politics from the 1950s through the 1970s.

A resident of Washington since 1960, she was born in Indianapolis and grew up in Highland Park, Mich. She graduated from the University of Alabama.

She worked on the presidential campaign of Adlai Stevenson in 1952 in California, and was his Michigan campaign director in 1956. She also was campaign coordinator for Sen. Philip A. Hart (D-Mich.) in 1958.

She worked in the John F. Kennedy presidential campaign in 1960, was assistant to the vice chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 1961 to 1963 and in 1968 worked in the Robert F. Kennedy presidential campaign in Michigan and Indiana.

In 1975 Mrs. Abernethy helped draft rules for the Advisory Neighborhood Commissions in Washington. From 1973 to 1976, she was community relations director of Preterm, a Washington health counseling and abortion clinic.

From 1983 to 1986 she was executive director of the Foreign Students Service Council and helped arrange housing and educational seminars for foreign students.

In addition to her husband, of Washington, Mrs. Abernethy is survived by a daughter, Elizabeth D. Abernethy, and a brother, Walter Clinton, both of Washington, and her mother, Nan Clinton, and a sister, Ann Moses, both of Holly, Mich.

MARY ELLEN SKINNER DENIT, 93, a retired administrative assistant with the commercial intelligence division of the Commerce Department, died of cardiac arrest July 8 at the Cambridge Manor Nursing Home in Richmond, where she had lived since 1983.

Mrs. Denit was born in Burke and graduated from McKinley Technical High School. She joined the Commerce Department in 1944 and retired in 1964.

She was a past second vice president of the National Conference of Parents and Teachers. She was a founding member of the Arlington Temple United Methodist Church and had been a volunteer at the Washington Cathedral.

Her husband, Joseph Darlington Denit, died in 1951. Survivors include one son, Louis M. Denit of Southport, N.C.; one daughter, Mary Denit Conner of Manassas; six grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren.

ELIZABETH LAURA STALLSMITH, 78, a substitute teacher in Montgomery County and a resident of Kensington since the early 1920s, died at Suburban Hospital July 7 of injuries she received in a traffic accident at Connecticut Avenue and Everett Street NW.

Montgomery County police said Mrs. Stallsmith ran a stop sign and that her automobile was struck by two pickup trucks. No charges were filed in the accident.

Mrs. Stallsmith was born in Madison County, Va. She moved to Kensington when she was 14 and graduated from Rockville High School. She also graduated from Towson State Teachers College.

In 1927, she became a teacher in the elementary grades of the Montgomery County schools. She remained on the regular staff for about two years and thereafter she was a substitute teacher at various times of her life. Most recently she had been a substitute teacher since 1980 and much of her work was at Woodland Elementary.

Mrs. Stallsmith was a member of the Kensington Historical Society and the Warner Memorial Presbyterian Church, where she had been a member of the choir and a Sunday school teacher.

Survivors include her husband, W. Paul Stallsmith of Kensington; three children, William P. Stallsmith Jr. of Virginia Beach, Sandra S. McQuain of Ocala, Fla., and Dr. Jeffry B. Stallsmith of Kensington; four sisters, Genevieve Willett of Urbana, Va., Rebecca Blake of Saluda, Va., Margaret Herbsleb of Arlington, and Marian Spear of Germantown, and six grandchildren.

THE REV. JACOB SIUNGTUK KIM, 77, the retired minister of the Korean Church of Washington and a former broadcaster and editor with the Voice of America's Korean Broadcasting Service, died July 9 at Holy Cross Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Kim was the minister of the Korean Church of Washington from the mid-1950s until he retired in 1984 and for most of that period he also worked for the Voice of America. He retired from VOA in 1981.

A resident of Silver Spring, he was born in Pyeng-Yang, Korea, and graduated from Soongsil University and Theological Seminary there.

Since 1937 his primary residence had been the Washington area. In the period before he became minister at the Korean Church he had earned a bachelor's degree in sacred theology at Western Theological Seminary in Pittsburgh, a master's degree in theology at Princeton Theological Seminary and a master's degree in sociology at New York University. During the early 1940s he was editor of the Korean Economic Digest.

Mr. Kim helped form the Korean Ministers Association of Washington, the Bible College of Washington and the Korean Presbyterian Council.

Survivors include his wife, Alice Hahn Kim of Silver Spring; five daughters, Ruth SunYoung Kim of Silver Spring, SunWha Kim Lee of Kenner, La., Victoria Sunok Berney of Takoma Park, Gloria SunKyung and Eugenia SunHee Kim, both of Washington; a son, Luther SunIl Kim of Corpus Christi, Tex., and six grandchildren.

COURTNEY WHITNEY JR., 63, a former chief counsel of the corporate finance divison of the Securities and Exchange Commission, died of cancer July 7 at a hospital in Jupiter, Fla. He had lived in Jupiter since 1985.

Mr. Whitney was born in Washington. He graduated from Yale University and earned a law degree from George Washington University. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific. After a brief period as a civilian, he returned to active duty and served during the war in Korea. His military honors include the Bronze Star.

He worked for several New York law firms before returning to the Washington area in the late 1950s. He joined the SEC in 1963 and became chief counsel of the corporate finance division. From 1971 to 1974, he was a partner in the Washington law firm of Morrison, Murphy, Abrahams & Haddock.

For the next two years, Mr. Whitney had a private law practice in Washington. In 1976, he moved to Maine, where he practiced law until he moved to Florida two years ago.

He was a member of the Lawyers Club.

Survivors include his wife, Nikki Whitney of Jupiter; a son, Marine Capt. Courtney Whitney III of Washington; four daughters, Angela Whitney of Asheville, N.C., Carole Whitney of Montclair, N.J., and Stacey and Alexandra Whitney, both of Jupiter; his mother, Evelyn Whitney of Washington; a brother, Richard Whitney of Westport, Conn., and a granddaughter.