Henry H. Porter, 83, retired assistant director for planning of the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, died of congestive heart failure July 7 at his home in Washington.
Mr. Porter, an engineer, joined the staff of the Applied Physics Laboratory in 1942 and he was assistant director for planning for 18 years before he retired in 1971. In that capacity he worked on a variety of weapons and tactics involved in naval antiaircraft warfare.
During World War II he was one of a small group of scientists responsible for the concept and development of artillery shells that could be detonated by radio fuses. This was one of the major advances in weaponry during the war because shells that were so equipped did not need to make direct hits to damage their targets.
In 1945 Mr. Porter was spokesman for a team of scientists that recommended the Navy initiate a research and development program in guided missiles to protect its ships from air attacks, and he supervised development of several of the Navy's early missiles. During the Korean war he evaluated weapons for air and ship defenses in the combat zones.
A native of Chicago, Mr. Porter was a graduate of Yale University, and he was an engineer in the Midwest before moving to Washington in 1940 to work at the Department of Terrestrial Magnetism at the Carnegie Institute of Washington.
He was awarded a Presidential Certificate of Merit, the Naval Ordnance Development Award and the Navy's Distinguished Public Service Award. He was a member of the Cosmos, Metropolitan and Chevy Chase clubs.
Survivors include his wife, Mary Kinney Porter of Washington; a son, Henry Porter Jr. of Louisville; a sister, Mary A. Porter of New York City; a brother, S. Prentice Porter of Warrenton, Va., and two grandchildren.
DR. JOHN ANTHONY JUDGE JR., 46, a dentist who had been in private practice in Rockville and Damascus since 1970, died of leukemia July 9 at Georgetown University Hospital. He lived in Potomac.
Dr. Judge was born in Washington. He graduated from St. John's College High School and Providence College in Rhode Island and earned a degree in dentistry from Georgetown University. He later studied orthodontics at Tufts University in Massachusetts.
He served in the Air Force from 1966 to 1968. He began his dental practice in 1970.
Dr. Judge was a member of the American Dental Association, the American Association of Orthodontics, the Southern Maryland Dental Society and the Charles Tweed Society for Orthodontic Research.
He coached baseball and basketball for the Potomac Boys Clubs and the Catholic Youth Organization, of which he was a board member. He also had served on the board of National Capitol Bank and was a member of the parish council of Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church in Potomac.
As a volunteer, Dr. Judge helped gather University of Maryland football game statistics for broadcast over WMAL-AM Radio.
Survivors include his wife, Patricia Schipa Judge, and four children, Margaret Mary Judge, Michele Mary Judge, Meghan Mary Judge, and John Patrick Judge, all of Potomac; and one sister, Mary Jean Judge of Washington.
JOHNIE W. JONES, 83, a retired master cabinetmaker with the General Services Administration and a resident of the Washington area since 1944, died of cancer July 8 at the home of a daughter in New Carrollton.
Mr. Jones, who lived in Washington, was born in Wilson County, N.C. He went to work for the federal government when he moved here.
In 1969, he received a plaque from Lyndon B. Johnson for work he did for the president as he was preparing to retire and move to Texas.
Mr. Jones' wife, Marie Lofton Jones, died in 1954.
Survivors include six daughters, Cecelia J. Krider of New Carrollton, Ruby M. Drake and Annetta Jones, both of Washington, Shirley J. Rollins of Capitol Heights, Dr. Scarlette J. Wilson of San Francisco, and Joan J. Bullock of Upper Marlboro; two sons, Johnie W. Jones of Washington and Charles A. Jones of Capitol Heights; three sisters, Susie Carpenter and Ruth Hunter, both of Washington, and Naomi Lucas of Capitol Heights; one brother, Grover Jones of Sims, N.C.; 14 grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren.
JOHN PENN, 87, a retired machinist in Pittsfield, Mass., and the father of Judge John Garrett Penn of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, died of congestive heart failure July 8 at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring.
Mr. Penn, a resident of Silver Spring since 1983, was born in Reidsville, N.C. He worked at the Raleigh Hotel in Washington from 1918 to 1920 and then moved to Pittsfield. He worked at hotels there until 1942, when he became a machinist at the E.D. Jones Co. He retired in 1966.
His wife, the former Eugenie G. Heyliger, died in 1976.
In addition to Judge Penn, of Silver Spring, survivors include three grandchildren.
GEORGE REX METCALFE, 76, a Washington area resident since 1985 and a retired employe of Massey Ferguson Inc., a farm equipment manufacturer in Toronto, died of respiratory failure July 4 at Alexandria Hospital.
Mr. Metcalfe, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Manchester, England. He grew up in Canada and worked for Massey Ferguson from 1941 until he retired in 1973.
He was a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Alexandria, where he sang in the choir.
His first wife, Marjorie Metcalfe, died in 1970. His marriage to Dorothy Metcalfe ended in divorce.
Survivors include his wife, Marion Metcalfe of Alexandria; three sons by his first marriage, Dennis J. Metcalfe, Gordon B. Metcalfe and Trevor R. Metcalfe, all of Toronto; one brother, Harry Metcalfe of Shelburne, Vt.; 10 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.
CATHERINE L. (KAY) ROBERTS, 79, a former executive secretary with the Atlantic Research Corp. and a resident of the Washington area since 1948, died of cancer June 30 at the DeWitt Army Hospital at Fort Belvoir. She lived in Fairfax.
Mrs. Roberts was born in Longton, Kan. She had accompanied her husband, Theron Roberts, an Army officer who retired as a colonel, on his military assignments. He died in 1968.
She worked for Atlantic Research from 1965 to 1971.
Mrs. Roberts was a past president of the Missouri Society and had been a member of the Arcadames chapter of the International Toastmistresses Club.
She leaves no immediate survivors.
CHARLES L. (CHICKEN) DAVIS, 69 a poultry specialist at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore who also had worked for the Department of Agriculture in Washington and Africa, died of cancer July 3 at Peninsula General Hospital in Salisbury, Md.
Mr. Davis, a Salisbury resident, was born in Greenville, Miss. He graduated from what was then Alcorn A&M College. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific and was awarded a Purple Heart.
He was a teacher in North Carolina until the early 1950s when he joined the staff of what was then Maryland State College in Princess Anne. From the late 1950s until 1974, he was a poultry specialist with the Department of Agriculture with assignments in Washington and Africa.
Mr. Davis had been on the U-Md. staff since 1974 and at his death was a poultry specialist with the Cooperative Extension Service.
His first wife, Catherine Davis, died in 1974.
Survivors include his wife, Mary James Davis of Salisbury; three children by his first marriage, Charles L. Davis Jr. of St. Louis, Duane M. Davis of Arlington and Alison M. Davis of Salisbury; one stepson, Kevin L. James of Salisbury; three sisters, Mary Jackson and Celestine Dunn, both of Chicago, and Elydia Williams of Greenville, Miss., and two grandchildren.
RUTH ELIZABETH SHIELDS, 82, a Washington area resident for more than 50 years who had been active in service and civic groups, died July 7 at the Manor Care nursing home in Wheaton. She had Alzheimer's disease.
Mrs. Shields, a resident of Rossmoor Leisure World in Silver Spring, was born in Kearney, Neb. she attended the University of Nebraska and Boston University.
She moved to Washington in 1934 and worked briefly for the old Works Projects Administration. From 1936 to 1938, she was on the staff of Sen. Robert LaFollette (D-Wis.).
A former Kensington resident, Mrs. Shields was a past chairman of the entertainment committee of the Rock Creek Hills Citizens Association. She also had been vice chairman of the special events committee of the Washington chapter of the American Cancer Society and of the annual benefit committee of the Salvation Army here.
She was a member of the Woman's National Democratic Club, the Congressional Country Club and the Westmoreland Congregational Church.
A son, Robert H. Shields II, was killed in Vietnam, where he was a helicopter pilot in the Army.
Mrs. Shields' survivors include her husband, Robert Hazen Shields of Silver Spring; two daughters, Jane Louise Shields of Sausalito, Calif., and Sarah Lowe Shields of Dickerson, Md.; one brother, John Wood of Hopkinsville, Ky., and one grandchild.
ALFRED L. WHINSTON, 68, a retired official of the Internal Revenue Service, died July 7 at Washington Hospital Center after a heart attack.
Mr. Whinston, a resident of McLean and Boca Raton, Fla., was born in New York City. He came to Washington to work as a clerk at the Government Printing Office shortly before World War II, then served in the Army in Europe during the war.
He remained in the Army Reserve for 20 years and retired with the rank of colonel.
Mr. Whinston joined the IRS in Washington as a revenue agent about 1946. He was in New York as assistant regional commissioner from 1966 to 1970 and was district director in Philadelphia from 1970 to 1974. After retirement from the IRS, he was national tax director with J.K. Lasser and Touche Ross & Co. in New York until about 1980. He then returned to this area.
Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Rose Whinston of McLean and Boca Raton; one son, Stephen Whinston of Cherry Hill, N.J.; two daughters, Donna Courtney of Burke and Dr. Marsha Snyder of Malvern, Pa.; two brothers, Sanford Winston of Bethesda and Ralph Winston of Mahwah, N.J., and 10 grandchildren.
GABRIEL MILKIE, 85, who had owned and operated taverns in Washington, died of cardiac arrest July 8 at Providence Hospital.
Mr. Milkie, a Silver Spring resident, was born in Lebanon and came to the United States as a teen-ager. Before moving to the Washington area in the late 1940s, he operated a grocery store in Cuero, Tex., and for a short time ran a trucking business.
In Washington, he operated the Grand Cafe on Barney Circle SE, Zack's on 14th Street NW and Gabriel's Inn near Judiciary Square. He retired from the tavern business in the late 1970s, and subsequently worked as a security guard for the Communications Workers of America.
Mr. Milkie was a member of St. Peter and St. Paul Antiochan Orthodox Church in Bethesda and the Almas Temple of the Shrine.
Survivors include his wife, Mary Milkie of Silver Spring; two daughters, Catherine Rosenfeld of Olney and Susan Milkie of Silver Spring, and one grandchild.
CARL THEODORE LLOYD, 72, a former vice president of the Society of Industrial Realtors who later became a small-business coordinator with the General Services Administration, died of cancer June 27 at a hospital in Denver. He had lived in Evergreen, Colo., since 1968.
Mr. Lloyd was born in Chicago and graduated from the University of Chicago. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Atlantic. He moved to the Washington area in 1946.
He worked for the Department of Agriculture before joining the Society of Industrial Realtors in 1949. He resigned in 1960 to become an investment consultant in Europe. He returned to the Washington area in 1966 and joined the GSA. He transferred to Denver in 1968.
His first wife, Joanne Taylor Lloyd, died in 1955.
Survivors include his wife, Adele Brubaker Lloyd of Evergreen; three children by his first marriage, Carl T. Lloyd Jr. of Crystal Bay, Nev., Candia L. Baxter of Bath, N.Y., and Denby S. Lloyd of Anchorage, Alaska; two stepchildren, Paula B. Tormohlen and Jonathan R. Bashor, both of Denver, and four grandchildren.
EVELYN BURNS FERDINAND, 79, a retired teacher with the D.C. public school system, died July 8 at the Washington Adventist Hospital after a heart attack. She lived in Suitland.
Mrs. Ferdinand was born in Washington. She graduated from Eastern High School and the old Wilson Teachers College. She joined the D.C. public school system in 1928. She was assigned to the Ann Beers Elementary School when she retired in 1963.
She enjoyed music and Oriental art.
Her husband, Emil Ferdinand, died in 1979. Survivors include one son, Timothy Ferdinand of Baltimore, and one granddaughter.