Joseph E. Nestor, 66, the founder and president of the Federal Scientific Co., a Kensington distributor of scientific equipment, died July 7 at Fairfax Hospital of the complications of diabetes.

Mr. Nestor, who lived in Falls Church, was born in Franklin, N.J. He graduated from Seton Hall University in New Jersey. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces in Europe as a navigator in a bomber squadron. His decorations include the Distinguished Flying Cross and nine Air Medals.

He moved to the Washington area about 1946 and went to work for Pfizer Inc., a drug company. He started his own company in 1957 and operated the firm until his death.

Survivors include his wife, Evelyn Wood Nestor of Falls Church; two daughters, Patricia Hollowell of Port Republic, Md., and Dianne Nestor-Jones of Bethesda; four brothers, Paul Nestor of Oakton, Edward Nestor of Purcellville, Va., Francis Nestor of Glenwood, N.J., and Dr. John O. Nestor of Arlington, and three sisters, Mary Ellen Gardner of Hawaii, Caroline Jonson of Menlo Park, Calif., and Claire Hoade of Bluemont, Va.

MAUDE HUDSON DISMER, 79, a longtime Washington area resident and a member of the Chevy Chase Women's Club, died of Parkinson's disease July 7 at the Fernwood House nursing home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Dismer was born in Norfolk. She grew up in the Washington area and graduated from the old Central High School and from George Washington University.

She was a member of the Kenwood Golf & Country Club and the Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church, and was a former member of the old Central Presbyterian Church in Washington.

Her husband, William F. Dismer, died this year.

Her survivors include three daughters, Mary Ann Proctor of Bethesda and Betsy Yancey and Billie Bassett, both of Charlottesville, and six grandchildren.

DANIEL J. SCANLON, 63, a retired civil engineer with the Naval Air Systems Command, died July 7 at his home in Millville, Del., of complications of diabetes.

Mr. Scanlon was born in Washington. He graduated from Gonzaga College High School and from Catholic University. In 1954, he went to work for the Barber & Ross Co., a millwork firm in Leesburg. He later designed public schools and police and fire department facilities for the D.C. government.

Mr. Scanlon joined the National Aeronautics and Space Administration when it was formed in 1958. He transferred to the Federal Aviation Administration in the early 1960s and went to work for the Naval Air Systems Command in the late 1960s. He retired in 1974 and moved to Delaware in 1979.

He was a past president of the Emerald Isle Division of the Ancient Order of the Hibernians. He was a member of the National Society of Professional Engineers and the Knights of Columbus, and was a former member of the Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Maureen Scanlon of Millville; one daughter, Sheila Scanlon of Baltimore; one son, Terrance Scanlon, and his mother, Anne Scanlon, both of Washington; two sisters, Anne Veith of Chevy Chase and Mary Neumann of Bethany Beach, Del., and two brothers, Jack Scanlon of Manassas and James Scanlon of Chevy Chase.

JOHN THOMAS BURKE, 66, a retired inspector with the U.S. Postal Service, died of heart and kidney ailments July 7 at a hospital in Cape Coral, Fla. He had lived in Cape Coral since 1979.

Mr. Burke was born in Washington. During World War II, he served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific. After the war, he went to work for the old Post Office Department. He retired in 1979 and moved to Florida.

Survivors include his wife, Pauline Yolanda Burke of Cape Coral; one daughter, Jean Burke Devers of Charlottesville; six sons, Kevin J., Stephen M. and John T. Burke Jr., all of Annapolis, Dennis A. Burke of Riva, Md., Patrick E. Burke of Fredericksburg, Va., and Timothy J. Burke of Cape Coral; two sisters, Mary M. Lawyer of Bethesda and Kathleen A. Horan of Athens, Greece, and 14 grandchildren.

ALFRED M. SCHWARTZ, 88, a retired Washington attorney and a past president of the Amity Club, died of kidney ailments July 8 at the Carriage Hill Nursing Home in Bethesda. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Schwartz was born in Washington. He attended Central High School, graduated from Georgetown University, where he also received a law degree. He was an associate with the law firm of Lambert & Yeatman from 1920 to 1925, when he began a private law practice. He retired in 1983.

He was member of the American College of Trial Lawyers and the Woodmont Country Club.

His only child, Adele Feld, died in 1958.

Survivors include his wife, Katherine (Kitty) Schwartz, and one sister, Bertha Robbin, both of Washington; two grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.