79, who owned and operated the Alvin Epstein Advertising Agency in Washington for 37 years before closing the business and retiring in 1984, died of cardiopulmonary arrest July 12 at George Washington University Hospital.
An area resident since the mid-1930s, he joined The Washington Post in 1936 as a copy chief in the advertising department. After serving with the Army in World War II, he started his ad agency in 1947.
Over the years, Mr. Epstein's other ventures included teaching commercial art at the Columbia Technical Institute and owning a Rockville movie theater and radio stations in Norfolk and Pittsburgh. He was the author of books on cartoons and had exhibited his own paintings at the Corcoran Gallery of Art.
He had been head of the Washington chapter of the Parkinson's Disease Foundation and was a founding member of Norbeck Country Club. He also was a member of the National Press Club, the Greater Washington Board of Trade, the D.C. Advertising Club, the Saints & Sinners Club and The Post's E Street Club.
Mr. Epstein, who lived in Washington, was a native of Baltimore. He had done commercial art work in New York, Baltimore and Philadelphia before moving here.
Survivors include his wife, Louella, of Washington.
GEORGE ALEXANDER KREMKAU,
77, a retired manager of the Defense Department's office of supply and logistics and a colonel in the Army Reserve, died of Alzheimer's disease July 9 at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Perry Point, Md. He lived in Silver Spring.
Mr. Kremkau was born in Chicago and grew up in the Washington area. A graduate of Central High School, he attended George Washington University.
During World War II, he served on the staff of the quartermaster general of the Army. After the war, he became a civilian employe of the quartermaster general's office.
Mr. Kremkau transferred to the Office of the Secretary of Defense about 1955 and retired in 1966. He retired from the Army Reserve in 1970. He moved to Florida in 1967 and returned to the Washington area three years ago. He had received the Defense Department's Civilian Service Commendation Medal.
Mr. Kremkau was a member of the Retired Officers Association, the National Association of Retired Federal Employees, the American Association of Retired Persons and the U.S. Power Squadron.
Survivors include his wife, Hazel Kremkau of Silver Spring; two sons, Randall, of Adelphi, and Wesley, of Columbia; his mother, Mary Kremkau, and two sisters, Florence Goelz and Margaret Mayer, all of Silver Spring, and two grandchildren.
JESSIE SABREE PEET,
102, a Washington native and former newspaperwoman who became a teacher in Hawaii, died of pneumonia July 8 at Howard County General Hospital in Columbia.
Mrs. Peet, a resident of Ellicott City, Md., graduated from Western High School in Washington and George Washington University. She received a master's degree in political science from the University of Hawaii.
From about 1905 to 1915, she worked for the Washington Herald newspaper, for which she wrote a lonely hearts column. In 1923, she moved to Pittsburgh and, in 1925, to Hawaii. She taught in the public schools there until returning to the Washington area in 1950.
Mrs. Peet was a member of the Daughters of the Confederacy and the League of Women Voters, and she had a particular interest in women's rights issues.
Her husband, William Peet, died in 1947. Survivors include three children, Elizabeth P. McIntosh of Leesburg, Marjorie Makholm of Ellicott City and Frederick T. Peet of San Pablo, Calif.; five grandchildren, and one great-granddaughter.
JOHN MILTON BOYER,
85, a retired machinist who had worked for the Washington Navy Yard and the General Services Administration, died of cardiopulmonary arrest July 9 at Montgomery General Hospital. He had Parkinson's disease.
A lifelong resident of the Washington area, Mr. Boyer was born in Damascus. He graduated from Damascus High School, and as a young man worked for various businesses. During World War II, he was a machinist at the Navy Yard. He later joined GSA. He retired in 1962 for reasons of health. Mr. Boyer lived in West Hyattsville, and was a founding member and former trustee of Ager Road United Methodist Church there.
Survivors include his wife of 61 years, Helen G. Boyer of West Hyattsville; three children, J. Alton Boyer of Washington, Audrey B. Keefe of Silver Spring and Maxine B. Lloyd of Gaithersburg; one sister, Doris A. Boyer of Brentwood; eight grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren.
JOSEPH DOUGLAS TROLLINGER SR.,
72, a retired chief of the contracting and procurement branch at the Washington Navy Yard, died of Alzheimer's disease July 11 at his home in Annandale.
Mr. Trollinger was born in Semora, N.C. He moved to the Washington area in the early 1930s. He joined the Navy Department in 1935 and retired in 1969.
He was a past master of Washington Centennial Masonic Lodge No. 14 and a founding member of St. Alban's Episcopal Church in Alexandria, where he had served on the vestry. He was a member of the Annandale Christian Community for Action, the Brotherhood of St. Andrews and the Order of the Eastern Star.
Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Grace Galleher Trollinger of Annandale; two daughters, Nancy Sowers and Dorothy Fones, both of Vienna; two sons, Joseph Douglas Trollinger Jr. of Purcellville, Va., and James W. Trollinger of Annandale; two brothers, Aston B. Trollinger and William J. Trollinger III, both of Oxon Hill; three sisters, Carrie L. Hinshaw of Fredericksburg, Va., Elizabeth Arnold of Key West, Fla., and Alice Ehrmantraut of West Palm Beach, Fla.; and 12 grandchildren.
DOROTHY B. SHOCKEY,
74, a retired saleswoman with Woodward & Lothrop department stores, died of heart and lung ailments July 10 at the Mount Vernon Hospital in Alexandria. She lived in Alexandria.
Mrs. Shockey was born in Alexandria. She worked for Woodward and Lothrop from 1961 until she retired in 1974. She was active in local Republican Party politics and had been a member of Calvary Southern Methodist Church in Stafford, Va.
Survivors include her husband, Robert B. Shockey of Alexandria; two sons, Randall P. Shockey of Stafford and the Rev. Michael L. Shockey of Garrisonville, Va.; a sister, Wilmoth B. Gary of Alexandria; and five grandchildren.
WENDELL E. BAILEY,
76, a cofounder and retired principal of the Sullivan School, a Washington preparatory school for the service academies, died of cardiac arrest July 10 at Georgetown University Hospital. He lived in Washington.
He was principal of the Sullivan School, which was founded in 1938, until he retired and the school closed in 1967. He also had owned and operated a farm near Clinton for the past 50 years, where he grew tobacco and hay and raised livestock.
Mr. Bailey, a native of Pennsylvania, had lived in the Washington area since the mid-1930s. He was a 1934 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy. Unable to make the Navy a career because of poor eyesight, he taught school until helping to found the Sullivan School.
He was a member of the Elks.
Survivors include his wife, the former Eleanor Lehman, of Washington; two daughters, Jo Ann Buchholz of Camp Hill, Pa., and Carol Cramer of Washington; two sisters, Marion Howe of Fremont, Calif., and Sara Jones of Phillipsburg, Pa., and four grandchildren.
DOROTHY VIRGINIA KELLER,
79, a retired Army Department employe who was active in church groups and was a member of the General Federation of Women's Clubs, died July 7 at her home in Arlington after a heart attack.
She went to work at the Pentagon when she moved to the Washington area in 1946 and retired from the Army Department, where she was an administrative travel officer, in 1978.
Miss Keller was a graduate of James Madison University and taught in the public schools in her native Shenandoah County, Va., for a decade before moving here.
She had been a member of the United Church of Christ Grace Reformed Church in Washington for the past 35 years. She had sung in the choir and served as a deacon and as women's guild treasurer. She also had done volunteer work for the church.
Her hobbies included quilting.
Survivors include four sisters, Lucy Barbe of Warrenton, Rachel Owings of Middletown, Va., and Martha Welch and Mildred DeBell, both of Centreville, Va.
VIOLA JOHANNA NUESSE,
84, who was a cataloger in the music department of the Library of Congress from 1962 to 1977, died of kidney failure July 11 at Southern Maryland Hospital. She lived in Fort Washington.
She had been a member of Faith Lutheran Church in Oxon Hill and the Southern Maryland Arts and Antiques Association. She had done volunteer work at Southern Maryland Hospital.
Mrs. Nuesse, who moved here in 1947, was a native of Milwaukee.
Her husband, Arthur Nuesse, died in 1977. Her survivors include a daughter, Suzanne Ferguson of Fort Washington, and two grandchildren.
OPAL S. THOMPSON,
84, who was a teacher and administrator with the Prince George's County public schools for 40 years before retiring in 1966 as principal of Suitland Elementary School, died of cancer July 11 at the Pleasant Living nursing home in Edgewater, Md.
She spent six years as principal of Suitland. Before that, schools where she worked included Hall Station, Cheverly-Tuxedo and Bladensburg elementary schools.
Mrs. Thompson, a native of Dayton, Ohio, had lived in Cheverly since moving to the Washington area in 1918. She received a teaching degree from Mary Washington College in Fredericksburg, Va.
She was a member of Calvary Baptist Church in Washington, where she belonged to the 50-year club, and also attended Central Baptist Church in Bladensburg.
Her husband, Harold M. Thompson, died in 1974. Her survivors include a sister, Jennette S. Metcalf of Edgewater.