Nathan Perlmutter, 64, the national director of the Anti-Defamation League of B'nai B'rith, died of cancer July 12 at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital in New York City.

Mr. Perlmutter devoted nearly his entire career to the ADL, a human rights organization dedicated to battling antisemitism and racism. He joined the organization in Denver in 1949 after graduating from New York University law school. Except for one eight-year interruption, he remained with it until his death.

He was director of ADL regional offices in Detroit, Miami and New York City, then from 1965 to 1969, he was associate national director of the American Jewish Committee. From 1969 to 1973, he was vice president of Brandeis University. He then returned to ADL as assistant national director. He had been director of the organization since 1979.

Last month, President Reagan named Mr. Perlmutter as a recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian award. "He is a hero indeed, a hero of the human spirit," the president said.

Mr. Perlmutter was diagnosed as having lung cancer in June 1985, and he published lengthy excerpts from a diary about his fight against the disease in The New York Times Magazine that November.

"You're supposed to see your life go by at times like this," he wrote. "What did I do with mine? . . . . I married the prettiest girl. I made it to Marine infantry officer, wrote a few books and became director of the ADL -- my hill."

Mr. Perlmutter was the author of several books, including "The Real Anti-Semitism" and "How to Win at the Races." Horse racing was among his passions, and a thoroughbred that he owned with his wife won the 1977 Florida Derby.

He was born in New York City and grew up there. As a young man he worked as a clerk typist at the Pentagon while attending Georgetown University. He also attended Villanova University. He served in the Marine Corps in World War II and later was stationed in China.

He is survived by his wife, Ruthann, and two children, Dean Perlmutter and Nina Mohit.


79, a retired senior vice president and general counsel of the National Association of Manufacturers and a resident of the Washington area for more than 50 years, died July 12 at his home in Falls Church. He had cancer.

Mr. Miller was born in Groton, S.D., and he attended the University of South Dakota. In the early 1930s he moved to Washington to attend George Washington University, where he received bachelor's and law degrees. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific.

As a young man Mr. Miller had a private law practice here. In 1942 he went to work for the NAM. He was named general counsel in 1949 and senior vice president in 1969. He retired in 1972. He then became of counsel to the Washington law firm of Hamel, Park, McCabe & Saunders, where he retired a second time in 1979.

From 1957 to 1959, Mr. Miller taught trade association law at Georgetown University law school.

He was a member of the Metropolitan Club and the Washington Golf and Country Club.

His wife of 48 years, Jane Cline Miller, died in January.

Survivors include four children, Lambert H. Miller Jr. of Falls Church, Susan Whitledge of Madisonville, Ky., Ann Kiplinger of Washington and Margaret Volpe of Falls Church, and 10 grandchildren.


56, former head of the science indicators unit at the National Science Foundation, died of cancer July 13 at his home at Fairfax Station.

Dr. Wright was with the National Science Foundation from 1974 to 1985, and his duties involved supervising and writing biennial reports assessing science and technology in the United States.

In 1985 he took a job surveying general education programs at four-year colleges for the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching in Princeton, N.J., but he was forced to leave because of illness.

He was born in Buffalo, N.Y., and graduated from Syracuse University. He received a doctorate in education from Wayne State University and served in the Air Force for two years in the 1950s.

Before moving to the Washington area, Dr. Wright was director of institutional research at the State University of New York at Albany.

While working at the National Science Foundation he chaired a task force for the White House Council of Economic Advisers on ways of reducing federally imposed paper work burdens on colleges and universities. In 1983 he was a legislative fellow at the House of Representatives.

Dr. Wright was the first director of the Pawtomack Ancient Fife and Drum Corps.

Survivors include his wife, Linda Wright of Fairfax Station; two sons, Craig and Rob Wright, both of Fairfax Station; one daughter, Peggy Wright of Cambridge, Mass., and one sister, Virginia Fishlock of Kenmore, N.Y.


72, a maintenance worker at Walter Reed Army Medical Center who retired in 1986 with 41 years of federal service, died July 10 at Prince George's General Hospital of a stroke.

Mr. Durham, a resident of Washington, was born in Winnsboro, S.C. He moved here in 1939. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Atlantic and the Pacific.

For his work at Walter Reed Mr. Durham received an Outstanding Service Award from the Department of the Army.

He was a member of the Metrotone Baptist Church.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, Ola Durham of Washington; two daughters, Joyce Smith of Hyattsville and Jennifer Russell of Washington; two sons, Robert E. Durham of Glendale and Smitty L. Durham of Upper Marlboro; one sister, Nancy Young of Hyattsville; two brothers, William Durham of Winnsboro and James Durham of Pittsburgh, and eight grandchildren.