Andrew A. Pettis Sr., 81, who retired in 1973 after five years as president of the Industrial Union of Marine and Shipbuilding Workers of America AFL-CIO, died of congestive heart failure July 13 at Northern Virginia Doctors' Hospital. He lived in Falls Church.

From 1951 until becoming president in 1968, Mr. Pettis was vice president of the union. He also lectured on industrial relations at Holy Cross College and had taught in the trade unions program at Harvard University. In the 1950s, he participated in State Department productivity projects in Japan and Italy.

Mr. Pettis, who moved here in 1950, was a native of Portland, Maine. He attended Colby College in Maine. A carpenter, he joined the union at the Portland shipyard in 1939 and was elected a shop steward later that year. In 1940, he was elected president of the Portland local, then served as the union's northeast regional director from 1945 to 1951.

He was a member of St. James Catholic Church in Falls Church and the Navy League. He was a past president of the Propeller Club of the Port of Washington and an honorary fellow of the Harry S Truman Library Institute.

Survivors include his wife, the former Alice Chapman of Falls Church; one son, Andrew A. Pettis Jr. of Washington; one daughter, Nancy Pettis Robinson of Arlington; one brother, Leo Pettis of Portland; two sisters, Florence Rundin of San Francisco and Ruth Wentworth of Portland, and one grandchild.


71, a retired advertising and marketing account executive, died of cancer July 12 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital.

Mr. Griesbauer, a resident of Gaithersburg, was born in Washington and graduated from the old Central High School. He served in the Army Air Forces in Europe during World War II and he was awarded a Bronze Star.

He went into advertising and marketing after the war. He worked for The Washington Post, and WRC and WMAL radio and television. For eight years before he retired in 1981 he was with William Kendrick Co. in Washington.

He was a charter member of St. Jane de Chantal Catholic Church in Bethesda and a member of the Bethesda Kiwanis Club.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Elizabeth Burns Griesbauer of Gaithersburg; two daughters, Elizabeth Anne Fahey of Olney and Gayle Sherrin of Gaithersburg; three sons, George L. Griesbauer Jr. of Silver Spring, Galt B. Griesbauer of Kensington and Gary M. Griesbauer of Winston-Salem, N.C.; one sister, Anne Knight of Gaithersburg; two brothers, Charles Leonard Griesbauer of Arlington and John Charles Griesbauer of Solvang, Calif., and 14 grandchildren.


89, a piano teacher who gave private lessons for 50 years at her studio in Washington, died of pneumonia July 12 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mrs. Shepherd was born in Washington and lived here all her life. She graduated from the old M Street High School and Oberlin College where she earned a degree in music.

She opened her music studio on U Street NW when she was a young woman, and she retired in 1980 after having taught thousands of Washingtonians. She planned and directed her students' annual piano recitals, the last of which was held at the Duke Ellington School of the Arts.

Mrs. Shepherd was a fifth-generation Washingtonian and the fifth generation of her family to have been a member of the Metropolitan AME Church.

Her husband, William Shepherd, died in 1982.

There are no immediate survivors.


74, a former messenger with the Railway Express Co. who later operated a furniture and carpet cleaning service, died July 12 at Suburban Hospital. He had cancer.

Mr. Spring was born in Martinsburg, W.Va. He joined the Railway Express Co. there as a young man. He moved to the Washington area in 1940, and he remained with Railway Express until 1959 when he retired after 30 years of service.

Later he operated Ray Spring's Superior Carpet and Furniture Cleaning service out of his home in Wheaton until he retired a second time in 1984.

He was a former president of the Wheaton Citizens Association, a 32nd degree Mason, a former president of the Northwest Shrine Club, and a member of the Tall Cedars of Lebanon and the clown unit at the Almas Temple of the Shrine.

Mr. Spring was also a member of St. Luke's Lutheran Church in Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife, Violet Spring of Wheaton; two daughters, Diana Spring Jenson of Slidell, La., and Robin Spring of Oakland; one son, Raymond Voss Spring of Westborough, Mass., and six grandchildren.


68, a career counselor with Right Associates, an executive employment firm, and a decorated veteran of World War II, died July 6 at a hospital in Burks Falls, Ontario, after a heart attack. A resident of Fairfax, he was vacationing when he was stricken.

Mr. Shreve was born in Milton, Pa. He attended Colgate University and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe. He was awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.

After the war, Mr. Shreve worked in Erie, Pa., and Canada for the Zurn Manufacturing Co., makers of gears and other machinery. He was transferred to Washington by Zurn in 1963. About a year later he joined the old Frederick Chusid Co. as a career counselor. In the early 1970s, he went to work in the same capacity for the Haldane Co. He had been with Right Associates since 1984.

Mr. Shreve was a 32nd degree Mason and a member of the Kena Temple of the Shrine. He also was a member of the Fairfax Presbyterian Church.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Virginia Shreve of Fairfax; one son, Dana Sterrett Shreve of Wilmington, Del.; two daughters, Leslie Shreve of New York City and Weston, Conn, and Raleigh Shreve Orth of Grand Forks AFB, N.D.; two sisters, Mary Shreve Gray of Manassas and Anne Shreve Minkowski of Baltimore, and three grandchildren.


65, a former librarian and telephone company clerk, died of complications resulting from emphysema July 12 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mrs. Bailey was born in Akron, Ohio, attended teachers college in St. Cloud, Minn., and graduated from the University of California at Los Angeles.

She moved to the Washington area in 1941. From then until 1952 she was a librarian with the old Federal Security Agency. Later she joined the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. as a service order clerk in Falls Church, and she retired from that job in 1986 after 12 years.

Mrs. Bailey lived in Vienna, and she was a member of the Vienna Woman's Club, the Vienna Little League Auxiliary and the Vienna Presbyterian Church.

Survivors include her husband, Kenneth A. Bailey, one son, Kenneth A. Bailey Jr., and one daughter, Lynne Ellen Bailey, all of Vienna, and one brother, Kenneth B. Smith of Toms River, N.J.


56, a computer maintenance technician who worked in communications at the Department of the Army, died July 11 at the Washington Hospital Center of complications after open heart surgery.

Mr. Iacangelo, a resident of Wheaton, was born in Washington. He graduated from Coolidge High School. During the Korean War he served in the Navy in Korean waters.

He began his career with the Department of the Army when he got out of the Navy.

Mr. Iacangelo was a member of the Holy Rosary Catholic Church, the Holy Name Society, the Catholic War Veterans, and the Loyal Order of the Moose in Wheaton. He was a past president of the St. Gerard Society, a church organization.

Survivors include his wife, Lena Mary Iacangelo of Wheaton; five children, John Iacangelo of Olney, Anthony Iacangelo of Reston, Mary Iacangelo Beth of Gaithersburg and Diane and Thomas Iacangelo, both of Wheaton; one sister, Mary Maccherone of Bowie, and one grandchild.


65, a patent lawyer who had practiced here since 1977, died of cancer July 12 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mr. Settle was born in Richmond, Mo., and he graduated from Westminster College. He received a law degree from Illinois College.

During World War II he served in the Army in Europe.

He practiced in Washington for about five years during the 1950s, then moved to Detroit where he was in private practice. He returned to this area in 1977.

His marriage to Geraldine Settle ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Filis Settle of Washington; three children by his first marriage, Michael Settle of Santa Fe, Christopher Settle of Boston and Suzanne Balingit of Irvine, Calif.; two stepchildren, Marc Gitlitz of New York City and Gary Gitlitz of Columbus, Ohio; one brother, Garner Settle of Richmond; two sisters, Joanne Heitzinger of Galveston, Tex., and Judy Revare of Prairie Village, Kan., and six grandchildren.