Charles Robert Davis, 80, a retired University of Maryland veterinarian and poultry specialist who was mayor of College Park for 12 years and a member of the College Park City Council for 14 years, died of cancer July 14 at the Greenbelt Nursing Home.

Dr. Davis worked on the committee that wrote the first municipal charter for College Park and worked for its approval in a popular referendum in 1945. He was elected to the first City Council that year and he served six years before his election as mayor in 1951.

After six two-year terms as mayor, he retired. But two years later he ran for the City Council again and served another eight years before retiring a second time.

He was instrumental in bringing about the paving of city streets, a trash and garbage collection system, the installation of street lights and the building of College Park's municipal center. Upon his retirement as mayor the building that houses the city's public works department was named Davis Hall in his honor.

Dr. Davis, a native of Ramur, Ala., graduated from Auburn University with a doctoral degree in veterinary medicine, and did further study at Virginia Polytechnic Institute.

He moved to College Park and joined the staff at the University of Maryland in 1930. He was a specialist in poultry disease control and research. He retired from the university in 1976.

Dr. Davis was a gardener and a former president of the Potomac Chrysanthemum Society. He had been a National Chrysanthemum Society judge.

He also reared and showed cocker spaniel dogs.

He was a past president of the College Park Lions Club and for several years he gave an annual "Mayor Davis Award" to the outstanding boy and outstanding girl in the College Park Boys Club and the College Park Girls Club.

For 54 years before 1984 he never missed a University of Maryland home football game in College Park.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Mary Alma Frith Davis, and two sons, Charles Robert Davis Jr. and William Eldred Davis, all of College Park; one daughter, Naomi Jean Stopa of Orlando, Fla.; eight grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.


69, a retired supervisor at the Main Post Office in Washington, died of cancer July 13 at the home of a daughter in Washington.

Mr. Mitchell, a resident of Capitol Heights, was born in North Carolina and served in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II.

He was a letter carrier in Norfolk before he moved to the Washington area in 1965. He retired about three years ago as a supervisor of clerks at Washington's Main Post Office.

Survivors include his wife, Emma Hare Mitchell of Capitol Heights; four daughters, Juanita Mitchell of East Lansing, Mich., Emmawill Perry of Fort Washington, Melvalee Mitchell of Washington and Lynette Mitchell of Capitol Heights; three sons, Leevonne Mitchell of Auburn, Ala., Army Capt. Melvin Mitchell of Fort Washington and Antonio Mitchell of Capitol Heights, and four grandchildren.