Dr. Raymond Lewis Hayes Sr., 76, a teacher at the Howard University School of Dentistry for more than 50 years who held the title of distinguished professor, died of cancer July 13 at the Washington Hospital Center.

Dr. Hayes joined the Howard dental faculty in 1935 and he was promoted to full professor in 1945. Over the years he had been chairman of the departments of oral medicine, oral pathology and endodontics. For eight years he was associate dean of the College of Dentistry.

In 1973, he retired with the rank of professor emeritus. For the next eight years he was a professor of dentistry at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. In 1981, he returned to Howard, where he was named a distinguished professor. He continued to teach until his death.

Dr. Hayes wrote numerous papers for professional journals. He was a charter member of Omicron Kappa Upsilon Dental Honor Society and a member of Sigma Xi, the honorary scientific society. He also was a fellow of the American College of Dentistry and the American Academy of Oral Pathology and a diplomate of the American Board of Endodontics and the American Board of Oral Medicine.

He was a member of many professional organizations, including the Robert T. Freeman Dental Society, the American Dental Association and the International Association for Dental Research. He received honors from Howard, Michigan and Indiana universities.

Dr. Hayes was born in Indianapolis. He graduated from the University of Michigan and earned his dental degree at Indiana University. He also received a master's degree in oral pathology at Michigan. He moved to Washington in 1935.

He was a member of the McKendrie United Methodist Church. He also had been active in the Boy Scouts and he was a member of Anglers All, a fishing club.

Survivors include his wife, the former Angella Turpeau, whom he married in 1936, of Silver Spring; two children, Dr. Raymond L. Hayes Jr. and Ila (Becky) Hayes Edwards, both also of Silver Spring; one brother, Roland Beck Hayes of Washington, and six grandchildren.


73, a Washington area resident since 1955 and a founding member of the Burning Tree Garden Club in Bethesda, died of kidney failure July 14 at the Bethesda Naval Hospital. She lived in Bethesda.

Mrs. McMullen was born in Ossining, N.Y. She graduated from Georgian Court College in New Jersey. She received a master's degree in social studies from Columbia University.

In 1937, she married Dillon R. McMullen, a Navy officer who retired as a captain, and accompanied him on various military assignments. He died in 1977.

Mrs. McMullen was member of St. Bartholomew's Catholic Church in Bethesda, the Christ Child Society, the Bethesda Woman's Club, the Questers and the Daughters of the American Revolution. She also was a member of the Navy Officers Wives Club and the Army Navy Club.

Survivors include two daughters, Helen Bell McMullen Zughaid of Bethesda and Carol Christina McMullen Cadel of Pantego, N.C., and two grandchildren.


95, a retired captain in the Army Air Corps who became a writer on aviation and space developments, died of cardiac arrest July 13 at the Wuesthoff Hospital in Rockledge, Fla.

Mr. McDarment lived in the Washington area from 1936, when he retired from the Air Corps because of a physical disability, until 1956, when he moved to Eau Gallie, Fla. During those years he wrote frequently on aviation for various newspapers and magazines.

In the late 1930s and early 1940s, he also headed the public speaking and aviation departments of the old Columbus University and was a president of the National Air Reserve Association and the Aero Club of Washington.

When he moved to Florida, Mr. McDarment wrote columns on space, science and aviation for the Orlando Sentinel and other newspapers.

A native of Sparta, Ky., he graduated from Southern Oklahoma State University and George Washington University. He enlisted in the Army Signal Corps in 1917 and became a pilot later that year. He served at various military posts in this country, including Washington, and in the Philippines until he retired.

He was a member of the Aviation Space Writers Association, the National Press Club, the Army & Navy Club, the Quite Birdmen, the Order of Daedalians and the Cosmos Club.

His marriages to Ella McDarment and to the former Mary S. Walker, Charlotte M. Thompkins and Maydell Blackmon ended in divorce.

Survivors include one son by his first marriage, John Frederick McDarment of Seattle; one daughter by his second marriage, Sarah McDarment Turner of Haymarket, Va.; five grandchildren, and 15 great-grandchildren.


70, a retired draftsman and designer who had worked at architectural firms in the Washington area and at the University of Maryland, died July 13 at his home in University Park of complications related to kidney failure.

Mr. Salgueiro was born in La Paz, Bolivia. He studied architecture at universities in Bolivia and in Venezuela. He was an architect and engineer in La Paz and Caracas until 1965, when he came to the United States to study architecture and engineering at the University of Virginia.

Since 1967 he had lived and worked in the Washington area, but he had made frequent trips to Bolivia and Venezuela to lecture at colleges and work on architecture projects.

He retired two weeks ago after having worked as a draftsman for the last three years at the University of Maryland's agricultural engineering department.

Survivors include his wife, Laura Salgueiro of University Park; one son, Jorge A. Salgueiro Jr. of University Park; one daughter, Maria Hille of District Heights, and two grandchildren.


69, a retired bookstore owner and an artist, died July 9 at Fairfax Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Foullon, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Caen in the French province of Normandy. He graduated from St. Cyr, the French military academy, and from an art school in Paris. During World War II he fought with Free French Forces and he was a ski trooper in the Alps.

He moved to Northern Virginia with his wife, Lamya, in the 1950s and before his retirement in 1981 had operated Da-Lee bookstores in Fairfax and Alexandria.

For the last 20 years, Mr. Foullon had painted professionally, and his paintings had been exhibited both in France and in the United States.

In addition to his wife, of Alexandria, survivors include two sons, Alain Foullon of Paris and Lee-Pierre Foullon of Alexandria; one daughter, Danielle Marie Foullon of Alexandria, and three grandchildren.