From News Services

RICHMOND -- James Rives Childs, 95, a former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Ethiopia and an authority on Casanova, died July 15 in the Windsor Nursing Home here. He had heart and lung ailments.

Mr. Childs was a Foreign Service officer from 1923 until he retired in 1953. Most of his career was in the Middle East or Africa. An outspoken backer of the Arab nations, he was one of several diplomats who opposed the partition of Palestine in 1948 for the creation of the State of Israel.

He was the author of 15 books, most of them under the name of Henry Filmer. He also was a former president of the International Casanova Society, and four of his books were about the 18th century Italian scholar and adventurer. In a biography of Giovanni Casanova Mr. Childs said he was one of the most misunderstood men in history and a figure whose accomplishments as a mathematician were overshadowed by his reputation as a lover.

Mr. Childs began his diplomatic career when he passed an examination for the consular service with the State Department and was assigned to Jerusalem. He served in Bucharest from 1925 to 1930 and was assigned in 1930 as second secretary of the U.S. legation in Cairo.

He was serving in Tangier at the beginning of World War II and later was appointed ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Yemen and Ethiopia. He was ambasssador to Ethiopia when he resigned in 1953 because of "exceedingly trying living conditions" there.

Mr. Childs was born in Lynchburg, Va. He attended Virginia Military Institute for two years before transferring to Randolph-Macon College. After his graduation from Randolph-Macon, he was a graduate student at Harvard University from 1913 to 1915.

During World War I, he served in the Army in France as a cryptoanalyst. He later was a famine relief official in Russia. When he retired from the government he settled in Nice, France, and devoted himself to writing and travel. He moved to Richmond in the early 1970s after the death of his wife, Georgina.

He leaves no immediate survivors.

HUGH B. PICKARD, 75, a retired University of Maryland chemistry professor, died of congestive heart failure and a pulmonary edema July 10 at the Washington Adventist Hospital.

Dr. Pickard, a resident of Takoma Park, was born in Albion, N.Y. He graduated from Haverford College and earned a doctorate in chemistry at Northwestern University, then taught chemistry for two years at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Wash.

During World War II, Dr. Pickard returned to Northwestern to work on a smokescreen project for the Army. He moved to the Washington area after the war and joined the faculty at the University of Maryland. He retired in 1978.

He was a member of the American Chemical Society and Sigma Xi, an honorary scientific society. He was a deacon of the Riverdale Presbyterian Church.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy S. Pickard of Takoma Park; two daughters, Virginia R. Lewis of Norwalk, Ohio, and Kathryn L. Pickard of Takoma Park; a brother, Darwin R. Pickard of Indiana, Pa., and two grandchildren.

WALLACE J. KAPUSCINSKI, 60, an agent with the Nationwide Insurance Co. for 35 years and a real estate broker, died July 11 at Montgomery General Hospital following a heart attack. He lived in Silver Spring.

Mr. Kapuscinski was born in Wallington, N.J. He graduated from Southeastern University, where he also received a master's degree in business administration. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces.

He moved to the Washington area after the war. He joined Nationwide in 1952 and remained with the firm until his death. Since 1973, he also had owned and operated Beall Christie, a real estate firm in Silver Spring.

Mr. Kapuscinski was a member of the College Park Lions Club, the Knights of Columbus and the St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Silver Spring.

Survivors include his wife, Regina Ann Kapuscinski of Silver Spring; three daughters, Susan Kapuscinski of Silver Spring, Diane White of Burtonsville, and Judy deLeon of Annapolis; four sons, Richard Kapuscinski of Ann Arbor, Mich., Glenn Kapuscinski of Burtonsville, and David and Brian Kapuscinski, both of Silver Spring; a sister, Carol Ann Victor of East Meadow, N.Y., and five grandchildren.

HYMAN JOSEPH MINKOFF, 74, a retired liquor store owner who later sold real estate, died of cardiac arrest July 14 at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Minkoff was born in Washington and graduated from Central High School. He attended Georgetown and George Washington universities.

He opened Acme Liquors in 1940 and operated the store until he retired in 1977. Since then he had sold real estate.

Mr. Minkoff was a Mason and a member of the Washington Hebrew Congregation and the Amity Club.

Survivors include his wife, Ida Minkoff of Washington; a daughter, Phyllis Baskin of Pittsburgh; a son, Larry Minkoff of Washington; two brothers, Harry and Leon Minkoff, both of Washington, and four grandchildren.

NORMAN R. MOORE, 74, a retired electrician with the Federal Aviation Administration who worked at Dulles International Airport, died of cancer July 11 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mr. Moore, a resident of Vienna, was born in Bloomfield, Mo. He moved to Washington about 1935. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific.

After the war, he went to work at the Civil Aeronautics Administration, a predecessor of the FAA. He was assigned to National Airport until 1961, when Dulles opened. He retired in 1976.

Mr. Moore was a member of the Bruin Chapel United Methodist Church in Fairfax and a volunteer in its Committee Help for Others program. As a young man he played basketball in Washington in the YMCA league and the City Baptist Young Peoples League.

His wife, Dare Haymaker Moore, died in 1974. Survivors include three children, Charles S. Moore and Annette M. Lape, both of Centreville, Va., and Alicia M. Lape of Herndon; two brothers, Paul Moore of McLean and Lowell P. Moore of Williamsburg; a sister, Verne M. Calton of Aurora, Mo., and three grandchildren.

JOHN A. GREGG, 75, the retired head of the cryptanalysis division at the National Security Agency, died of cancer July 14 at his home in Severna Park.

Mr. Gregg was born in Nemo, S.D., attended Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and graduated from the University of Minnesota. He did postgraduate study at George Washington University and attended the Industrial College of the Armed Forces and Harvard Business School's Advanced Management Program.

He served in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II and again during the Korean war. He joined the NSA in the early 1950s and retired in 1974.

Between World War II and the Korean war he worked for IBM in Washington and for the Great Lakes Steel Co. in New York.

Mr. Gregg was a past president of the Chartwell Country Club in Severna Park and a hunter, golfer and fisherman.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth Gregory Gregg of Severna Park; two sons, Thomas Gregg of Severna Park and Robert Gregg of Washington, N.J.; a daughter, Carolyn Will of Sevierville, Tenn., and four grandchildren.

HATTIE NOELL BOLLS, 97, a retired administrative assistant with the U.S. Public Health Service, died of pneumonia July 16 at the Thomas House retirement home in Washington.

Mrs. Bolls was born in Bedford County, Va. She attended the old Farmville State Normal School and graduated from the old Woods Commercial School in Washington.

She moved to the Washington area in 1912 and worked for a patent lawyer and was a secretary on the staff of former Sen. Marion Butler (R-N.C.) before joining the Public Health Service in 1919. She retired in 1960.

Mrs. Bolls was a member of Capitol Hill Metropolitan Baptist Church, the Order of the Eastern Star and the Thomas House Council. She also was a reader with the Lovett Choral Club.

Her husband, William E. Bolls, died in 1947. She leaves no immediate survivors.

VALENTINE McGILLICUDDY GIANTURCO, 80, a retired senior editor with the European Law Division of the Library of Congress, died of congestive heart failure July 16 at the Washington Home. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Gianturco was born in San Francisco. She graduated from the University of California at Berkeley and practiced architecture in San Francisco before moving to the Washington area in 1940.

During World War II, he was an editor and translator with the American Red Cross. She worked for the old Bureau of Latin American Research during the late 1940s. She joined the Library of Congress in 1952 and retired in 1973.

Mrs. Gianturco translated various works from the Italian and edited many works written by her husband, Elio Gianturco, a professor of Romance languages at Hunter College in New York. He died in March of this year.

Survivors include two daughters, Manuela Banerjee of McLean and Adriana Saltonstall of Sacramento, Calif.; a son, Delio Gianturco of Falls Church, and six grandchildren.

ELIZABETH HORNE STROTHER, 45, a former economist with the consulting firm of Jack Faucett Associates in Bethesda who also was active in community organizations, died of cancer July 4 at her home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Strother was born in Washington. She graduated from Vassar College. From 1965 to 1969 she worked for the Battelle Memorial Institute. She was an economist with the firm of Hammer Siler George Associates during the early 1970s and worked for Jack Faucett Associates from 1974 to about 1978.

She had served on the boards of United Way of Washington and the Latin American Parents Association. She was a member of the Parent-Teachers Association of Bannockburn Elementary School in Bethesda and a past treasurer of the Bethesda-Chevy Chase Cooperative Nursery School.

Mrs. Strother also was a conference commissioner with Montgomery Soccer Inc., a Cub Scout leader and a member of St. Columba's Episcopal Church in Washington.

Survivors include her husband, David Hunter Strother IV, and two children, James and Mary Strother, all of Bethesda; her mother, Marion Haenlein Horne, and a sister, Dr. Dugal Horne, both of Philadelphia, and two brothers, William D. Horne III of Keene, N.H., and James Q. Horne Jr. of Princeton, N.J.