START OF TEXT Dr. Kenneth Milo Endicott, 71, a former director of the National Cancer Institute who later served as administrator of the Health Resources Administration in the Department of Health, Education and Welfare, died of cardiopulmonary arrest and sepsis July 16 at the Washington Hospital Center.

Dr. Endicott was director of the National Cancer Institute from 1960 to 1969. During those years, he helped develop the chemotherapy program that revolutionized cancer treatment throughout the world. He also helped establish the institute's cancer virus program, which led to the discovery of several human cancer viruses and recently to the discovery of the virus that causes acquired immune deficiency syndrome.

He began his career with the National Institutes of Health in 1941 in the division of pathology. During the early 1950s, he was scientific director of the division of research grants and was an associate director of NIH during the late 1950s.

After serving as director of the National Cancer Institute for nine years, Dr. Endicott became director of NIH's Bureau of Health Manpower, where he helped establish new federal programs that provided financial support for institutions that train health professionals.

In 1973, he was named administrator of HEW's Health Resources Administration. He was the acting director of the Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications when he retired in 1977, with the U.S. Public Health Service rank of assistant surgeon general.

For the next nine years, Dr. Endicott was a partner with Grupenhoff and Endicott, a Washington firm that represented medical organizations and institutions. He retired for a second time in 1986.

For the past 10 years, he had been the executive officer of both the American Association of Pathlogists Inc. and Universities Associated for Research and Education in Pathology Inc.

Dr. Endicott, who was a resident of Potomac, was born in Canon City, Colo. He was a graduate of the University of Colorado and its medical school.

His marriages to Anne Endicott and Frances Endicott ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Virginia Endicott of Potomac; one daughter by his first marriage, Judith Wygant of Juneau, Alaska; two children by his second marriage, James Endicott of Greenville, S.C., and Linda Thomas of Middleton, Va.; two children by his third marriage, Eileen Nee of Washington, and Katherine Warzinski of College Park; one brother, George Endicott of Dallas, and one grandson. MILDRED L. MARLOWE, 71,treasurer and coowner of the Parklawn Memorial Park cemetery in Rockville for the past 25 years and a volunteer in handicapped and Jewish organizations, died of emphysema July 16 at Suburban Hospital.

She had served on the D.C. Commissioners' Committee for the Handicapped and on the President's Committee for Employment of the Handicapped, and was appointed by the Maryland governor to a committee on handicapped employment.

Mrs. Marlowe helped organize and was a member of the Montgomery County Committee for Architectural Barriers, an organization that helped design and promote access structures, such as sidewalk ramps for disabled persons.

She was a member of B'nai B'rith Women, had served on the national board of the Anti-Defamation League and was a member of Ohr Kodesh Congregation in Chevy Chase. She also had done volunteer work for the March of Dimes and was a member of the NAACP.

She was a graduate of the National School of Elocution and Oratory in her native Philadelphia. Mrs. Marlowe, who was a resident of Bethesda, had lived in the Washington area since 1938.

Survivors include her husband, Norman, of Bethesda; a son, Brian, of Richmond; two daughters, Nikki Rabbino of San Mateo, Calif., and Dr. Wendy Marlowe of Seattle; a sister, Dorothy Medvene of Florida, and 11 grandchildren. ROALD A .HOGENSON, 74, a judge on the U.S. Court of Claims from 1966 until retiring in 1983, died of cardiac arrest July 16 at D.C. General Hospital. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Hogenson was born in Salt Lake City. He graduated from the University of Utah and earned a law degree from George Washington University.

He moved to the Washington area in 1941 and became an aide to former Rep. James William Robinson (D-Utah). In 1943, he returned to Utah and joined the legal staff of the Salt Lake County Attorney.

Mr. Hogenson was appointed as a Utah District Court judge in 1947 and was elected to the bench in 1948. He returned to Washington in 1950 and went to work for the U.S. Court of Claims, where he became chief commissioner, before joining its bench.

Survivors include his wife, Gladys Hogenson, and a daughter, Marilyn Fuchs, both of Washington; one son, William R. Hogenson of Bloomington, Ill.; one sister, Beatrice Hogenson of Washington, and five grandchildren. ROWLAND S. WILSON,74, a retired Navy commander andveteran of two wars who worked for the Red Cross in Vietnam from 1968 to 1970, died July 18 at his home in Washington.

Cmdr. Wilson, who had lived here since 1970, was a native of Columbus, Ohio, and a graduate of Dartmouth College. He entered the Navy and received his commission during World War II. During that war, he served in the Aleutian Islands.

During the Korean war, he served with amphibious forces in Korea. Later assignments included a tour in Taiwan, with the U.S. military assistance advisory group, and at the Pentagon, before retiring from active duty in 1968.

Cmdr. Wilson was a member of St. Alban's Episcopal Church in Washington, the Explorers Club, and the St. Andrew's Society of Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Mary June Wilson of Washington; a son, Charles S., of New York City; two daughters, Elizabeth Pearson of Haddam, Conn., and Victoria Wilson of Washington, and four grandchildren. PRESTON A. LITTLETON SR., 84, aretired Chesapeake district credit manager with the General Electric Co. who also was a past president of the Washington Association of Credit Managers, died of cardiovascular disease July 17 at his summer home in Lewes, Del.

He spent about 20 years with GE before retiring in 1962. Mr. Littleton was a native and resident of Washington. He was a graduate of Gonzaga College High School and attended Georgetown University. Before joining GE, he worked for the Washington Retail Credit Bureau.

He was a member of the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Washington. He was a fourth-degree member of the Washington assembly of the Knights of Columbus and a member of its Rock Creek Council.

Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth V., of Washington; a son, Dr. Preston Jr., of Potomac; a daughter, Joan-Carol Bruns of Wilmette, Ill.; a brother, Everett W., of Forestville, Md., and five grandchildren. EFFIE M. ELDRIDGE, 79, a retired financial clerkwith the old Commercial Telegraphers Union, died of pneumonia July 18 at George Washington University Hospital. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Eldridge was born in Roberdel, N.C. She moved to the Washington area in 1929 and went to work for the Western Union Telegraph Co. as a teletype operator. She joined the staff of the Commercial Telegraphers Union in 1949 and retired in 1962.

She was a member of the Appalachian Trail Club and the Appalachian Trail Conference.

Survivors include her husband, Jerome K. Eldridge of Washington, and one brother, retired Air Force Lt. Col. Frank Meacham of St. Pauls, N.C.