Edwin F. Ball,60, a retired architect who was a past president of the Maryland Society of Architects and who had chaired the Maryland State Board of Architectural Review for the past 17 years, died of cancer July 17 at his home in Cheverly.

Mr. Ball owned and operated his own architectural firm, the old Edwin F. Ball A.I.A. Associates, for 30 years until retiring in 1986. His firm designed schools, churches, houses, and public and commercial buildings. His projects included the Prince George's County regional headquarters of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission.

A past president of the Potomac Valley chapter of the American Institute of Architects, he also served on the AIA committee that helped modify Metrorail to provide access equipment for disabled persons.

Mr. Ball was a native of Washington and graduate of McKinley High School. He served with the Army Air Forces in the Pacific during World War II and was a 1952 graduate of Catholic University's architecture school.

He was a member of St. Ambrose Catholic Church in Cheverly. He was a past president of the Hyattsville Civitan Club and had served on the Maryland Commission for the American Bicentennial.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Lohrmann Ball, and two daughters, Eve Noel Ball and Lisa Carol Ball, all of Cheverly, and a brother, Robert, of Orlando, Fla.


84, a retired judge on the U.S. Patent Office's appeals board who also was a retired major in the Army Reserve, died of a heart ailment July 18 at the Washington Hospital Center. He also had diabetes.

Judge Keely, who lived in Silver Spring, was a native of Somerville, Mass. He was an engineering graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and earned a law degree at George Washington University.

He joined the Patent Office after moving to the Washington area about 1930. He was a patent examiner before becoming a judge on the appeals bench. He retired in 1970. Judge Keely received a reserve commission in the Signal Corps in 1930, and retired from the Army Reserve after serving on active duty during World War II.

He was a member of St. Bernadette's Catholic Church in Silver Spring, the Disabled American Veterans and the National Capital YMCA.

Survivors include his wife, Edna M., of Silver Spring, and a sister, Margaret Keely of Watertown, Mass.


47, a wildlife artist who painted in pastels and whose work was exhibited at local galleries and shows, died of a brain tumor July 18 at her home in Chaptico, Md. She was a lifelong resident of St. Mary's County.

Her paintings, and those of her husband, Ronald I. Holyfield, were featured at a 1983 exhibition at the National Wildlife Federation in Vienna. Miss Curtis also had shown paintings at the Easton Waterfowl Festival and the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition in Charleston, S.C. Her work had been hung at Annapolis Marine Art and at the Medlin Gallery in Leesburg, Va.

She was a member of Christ Episcopal Church in Chaptico, where she served on the vestry and was a member of the altar guild and parish aid society. Miss Curtis lived her life on a farm. She attended St. Mary's Seminary.

Her marriage to Mosby Sandidge ended in divorce.

In addition to her husband, of Chaptico, survivors include two daughters by her first marriage, Kate Sandidge Smith of Winchester, and Mary Elizabeth Sothoron Sandidge of Chaptico; a sister, Cynthia Curtis Tucker of Venice, Fla., and two grandchildren.


87, a retired safety director with the Army Corps of Engineers who lived in the Washington area from 1950 to 1965, died July 11 at a nursing home in High Point, N.C. He had diabetes.

Mr. Betsill, who lived in Jamestown, N.C., was born in Union, S.C. He graduated from Clemson University. He joined the Corps in Ohio in 1934 and later was a district director in Seattle. In 1950, he became safety director for Corps research and development laboratories at Fort Belvoir. He retired in 1965.

Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Sadie W. Betsill of Jamestown; two sons, Richard W. Betsill of Stewart's Draft, Va., and James L. Betsill Jr. of Jamestown; one sister, Kathleen Culler of North, S.C.; one brother, Herbert L. Betsill of Huntsville, Ala., and five grandchildren.


22, a delivery manager with the A & A Appliance Co. in Washington where he worked since 1985, was killed July 17 in an automobile crash on the Capital Beltway in the Landover area.

A spokesman for the Maryland State Police said Mr. Bauer's car went out of control and crashed when he attempted to avoid another automobile accident on the road ahead of him.

Mr. Bauer, who lived in Largo, was born in Silver Spring. He graduated from Gwynn Park High School in Waldorf. He served in the Navy from 1982 to 1985.

Survivors include his parents, Brenda P. and Bruce C. Bauer, two sisters, Kelly L. and Julie L. Bauer, and two brothers, Todd S. and Keith L. Bauer, all of Largo, and two grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Stephan Pettovar of Lakeland, Fla.


84, who was a lawyer with the National Institutes of Health here for 15 years before retiring and moving to Florida in 1973, died of cancer July 17 at a hospital in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Mrs. Kaufman, who lived in Coconut Creek, Fla., was born in New York City. She graduated from New York University, where she also earned a law degree.

Her husband, William Kaufman, died in 1961. She leaves no immediate survivors.


66, an architect with the Veterans Administration for the past five years who had worked in private industry before that, died of cancer July 19 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Meyer, who moved here in 1955, was born in Madison, Wis., and served with the Army in the Pacific during World War II. He earned a degree in architecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technolgy and studied under famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright.

Between 1955 and 1982, when employed with architectural firms here, he worked on such projects as Southwest redevelopment and restoration of the Old Executive Office Building. He was a principal associate with Nicholas Satterlee and Associates before joining the VA.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Brilla Meyer, and a son, Edward, both of Washington, and a brother, Karl E., and a sister, Susan Meyer, both of New York City.


85, a retired Library of Congress employe who was a lifelong area resident and was active in church groups, died of pneumonia July 17 at Leland Memorial Hospital. She lived in Riverdale.

She worked for the library, where she was a supervisory librarian in the card division, for 37 years before retiring in 1957. Mrs. Finn was a native of Washington and a 1919 graduate of the Washington Visitation Academy.

She was a member of St. Michael's Catholic Church in Silver Spring and a member of the Third Order of the Franciscans.

Her husband, James Finn, died in 1958. Survivors include a daughter, Charlene Bryce of Riverdale; a brother, John H. Holmes of Washington; three grandchildren, and a great-grandchild.


56, who was a legislative aide to Virginia Del. Robert E. Harris (R-Fairfax County) for the past 10 years, died July 18 at her home in Springfield. She had cancer.

Mrs. Perrine, who moved here in 1949, was a native of Pulaski, Ga. She was a secretary with the Washington field office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation from 1949 to 1956.

She did volunteer work with the Virginia Republican Party and was a member of the Springfield Garden Club.

Survivors include her husband, Donald, and a son, Gregory, both of Springfield; a daughter, Donaleigh Young of Clifton, Va.; four brothers and four sisters, all of Georgia, and a grandchild.