Edward P. Cliff, 78, retired chief of the U.S. Forest Service, died of leukemia July 18 at his home in Alexandria.
Mr. Cliff worked 42 years for the Forest Service, and had been chief for 10 years when he retired in 1972. His years as head of the agency coincided with a period of growth and controversy as a result of increased public interest in environmental issues.
As chief of the Forest Service, Mr. Cliff was instrumental in doubling the recreational uses of national forests. He helped establish the national wilderness preservation system, the wild and scenic river system and the national trails system.
Since his retirement he had been a forestry consultant in the United States and in 26 foreign countries.
He was born in Heber City, Utah, and received a degree in forestry from Utah State University.
In 1931, Mr. Cliff joined the Forest Service as an assistant district ranger at the Wenatchee National Forest in the state of Washington. Later he was a wildlife specialist in the Pacific Northwest Regional Office in Portland, Ore. Later still he was supervisor of Oregon's Siskiyou and Fremont national forests.
He worked in Washington from 1944 through 1946 as a member of the range management staff, then served as assistant regional forester in Ogden, Utah, and as regional forester in Denver for the Rocky Mountain region.
In 1952, Mr. Cliff returned to Washington as assistant chief for the national forest system, a job he held for 10 years before he was named chief of the Forest Service.
He received the Department of Agriculture's Distinguished Service Award, the Society of American Foresty's Gifford Pinchot Award and the American Forestry Association's Bernhard Fernow Award.
Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Kathryn Mitchell Cliff of Alexandria, and two daughters, Jane Cliff of Alexandria and Carolyn Cliff of Logan, Utah.
ROBERT WALTON TERRETT,
80, a founder and co-owner of Falls Church Chrysler-Plymouth Inc., died July 19 at his home in Washington. He had Alzheimer's disease.
Mr. Terrett was born at Bailey's Crossroads in what is now Falls Church. He graduated from McKinley Technical High School in Washington. As a young man he was a carpenter and cabinetmaker. During World War II, he worked for the War Department at Fort Holabird, Md.
In 1943, he founded the Central Motors company, a used car dealership on Connecticut Avenue in Washington. In 1950, he founded Falls Church Chrysler-Plymouth. He retired in 1984, but remained chairman of the company until his death.
Mr. Terrett was a member of All Souls Episcopal Church in Washington.
Survivors include his wife, Evelyn Terrett of Washington; two daughters, Lorelle Moore and Carol Holt, both of Houston; one sister, Ruth Terrett Earle of Annapolis; seven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
91, who owned a men's clothing and shoe store in Washington until he retired in 1967 and closed it, died of cardiopulmonary arrest July 16 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.
Mr. Shuman, a resident of Chevy Chase, was born in Russia. He moved to the United States with his family about 1900 and settled in Baltimore. He moved to Washington about 1915.
In the 1920s, Mr. Shuman owned a shoe store at 14th Street and Park Road in Northwest Washington. About 1930, he joined his father and brother in running a men's clothing and shoe store on M Street Northwest in Washington. In 1939, he became sole owner of the business, which was called Shuman's. He operated it until he retired.
Mr. Shuman was a member of the Kesher Israel Congregation in Washington.
Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Mary Hofberg Shuman of Chevy Chase; two children, Nancy Margolin and Dr. Irwin Shuman, both of Bethesda; one brother, Benjamin Shuman of Silver Spring, and three grandchildren.
SUSIE T. KELLEY,
80, a retired physicial education and health teacher in the D.C. public school system, died of pneumonia July 7 at Providence Hospital.
Mrs. Kelley was born in Washington. She graduated from Dunbar High School and Howard University, where she also received a master's degree in education. As a young woman she was a teacher in Bluefield, W.Va. From 1932 to 1936, she lived in Atlanta.
In 1936, she returned to Washington and began her career in the D.C. school system. She was on the faculty of Cardozo High School when she retired in 1971.
A resident of Washington, Mrs. Kelley was a trustee of Plymouth Congregational Church, a volunteer at Howard University Hospital and a 50-year member of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.
Her husband, Dr. Charles H. Kelley, died in 1956. Survivors include one daughter, Patricia Kelley Theiss of Washington; two sisters, Pearl Hughes and Ethel Smith, both of Washington, and two brothers, Walter P. Tate Jr. of Arlington and Barrington S. Tate of Los Angeles.
93, the widow of a Polish diplomat and a longtime resident of the Washington area, died of a heart ailment July 7 at the Sacred Heart Home in Hyattsville.
Mrs. Wszelaki was born in Warsaw and raised in France, Switzerland and Italy.
She moved to the Washington area during World War II when her husband, Jan H. Wszelaki, was named a minister here for the Polish government then based in London. She had lived here since then.
Mr. Wszelaki died about 20 years ago.
There are no immediate survivors.
84, a retired Washington Navy Yard engineer, died of renal failure and pneumonia July 18 at Washington County Hospital in Hagerstown.
Mr. Elliott was born in Hammonton, N.J.
Before moving to the Washington area and joining the staff at the Washington Navy Yard in the early 1960s, he had been an engineer at Fort Detrick in Frederick, Md., and at the Glenn L. Martin aircraft factory in Middle River, Md. He also had been a building maintenance engineer in Philadelphia.
A former resident of Riverdale, he moved to a retirement community in Williamsport, Md., in 1983.
Mr. Elliott was a former elder at the Seabrook Seventh-day Adventist Church.
His wife, Evelyn Elliott, died in 1984.
Survivors include one daughter, Doris Kahlenberg of Baltimore; three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
ELLURA HARVEY WINTERS,
83, a retired hearing and speech therapist, died July 15 at Sibley Memorial Hospital after a stroke.
Mrs. Winters worked as a hearing and speech therapist for the Montgomery County schools from 1955 to 1963, and for two years after that she was a speech consultant to the Easter Seal Treatment Center in Rockville. Later she did hearing and speech consulting for Head Start centers around the nation.
After the 1968 retirement of her husband, Robert K. Winters, a forest economics specialist with the U.S. Forest Service, Mrs. Winters traveled with him to Egypt, Israel, Greece, Iraq and England to help him research a book on the influence of forests on culture and civilization.
A resident of Bethesda, Mrs. Winters was born in Benton Harbor, Mich. She graduated from the University of Michigan where she also received a master's degree in psychology and speech therapy.
She was married in 1927 and had lived in New Orleans, Idaho, Montana and East Pakistan before moving to the Washington area as a permanent resident in 1954. She had also lived here during World War II.
She was a member of Chevy Chase United Methodist Church and the Women's Guild at Wesley Seminary.
In addition to her husband, of Bethesda, Mrs. Winters is survived by one daughter, Margaret Andrews of Pullman, Wash.; one son, Donald H. Winters of Reston; seven grandchildren and one great-granddaughter.
ARTHUR WEBSTER TRUE,
88, a retired Agriculture Department economist, died of sepsis July 16 at Arlington Hospital.
Mr. True, a resident of Arlington, was born in Mankato, Minn. He graduated from the University of Minnesota where he also received a master's degree in agricultural economics.
He was a county agent with the state agricultural extension service in Minnesota and an employe of the Federal Land Bank before he moved to Washington and joined the Department of Agriculture in 1934. At his retirement in 1969, Mr. True worked in USDA's economic research service.
He was an elder at Clarendon Presbyterian Church, where he was clerk of the Session. He also was a member of the Arlington Historical Society and the Mayflower Society.
Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Gertrude Dinsmore True of Arlington; one son, Frederick Dinsmore True of Alexandria; two daughters, Margaret E. True of Annandale and Mildred True Krueger of Lathrup Village, Mich.; two brothers, Donald and Harold True, both of Mankato, and four grandchildren.
ORIS L. RADER,
81, a retired chief examiner in the electrical division of the U.S. Patent Office, died of cancer July 17 at his home in Silver Spring.
Mr. Rader was born in Washington and graduated from Central High School. He received a degree in electrical engineering from the University of Maryland and a law degree from American University.
He retired in 1971 after 43 years with the Patent Office, and was assigned in Washington all that time except for the World War II years, when the Patent Office was moved to Richmond.
He was a pianist and clarinet player; during the 1920s he played with a dance band called the Alaskans. Later he played at private parties and at dances at hotels in the Washington area.
Mr. Rader also played piano and organ at Mount Rainier Christian Church. He was the third generation of his family to worship there, and was a deacon and trustee of the church.
His wife, Verena Wilson Rader, died in 1974.
Survivors include two sons, Charles Rader of Rockville and Irving Rader of Millersville, Md.; one daughter, Barbara Keady of Columbia; nine grandchildren and two great-grandsons.