Frank H. Weitzel, 79, a retired assistant comptroller general who had worked more than 40 years for the General Accounting Office, died July 20 at Holy Cross Hospital of myasthenia gravis, a muscular disorder that affects the ability to swallow.

Mr. Weitzel served a 15-year term as assistant comptroller general before his retirement in 1969. During that time, he was acting comptroller general for two six-month periods.

He joined the GAO as a messenger when he was 16 and took a leave of absence in 1924 to finish his studies at Western High School. He then returned to the agency and rose through the ranks to the number two job, to which President Eisenhower appointed him in 1953.

He received a bachelor's degree and a law degree from George Washington University by attending night school. He was a member of the Federal Bar Association and the Federal Government Accounting Association.

Mr. Weitzel was a third-generation Washingtonian and a lifelong resident of this city.

He was an elder, trustee and 70-year member of the Georgetown Presbyterian Church and treasurer of the board of trustees of the Presbyterian Home. He had also been treasurer of the Cosmos Club, a member of the board of trustees of George Washington University and a board member of the local chapter of the American Cancer Society and the Jump Foundation, which honors government employes for outstanding job performance.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Hester Bogardus Weitzel of Washington; one son, William Bogardus Weitzel of Port Allegany, Pa.; two brothers, Winfield Weitzel of Washington and William Weitzel of Ithaca, N.Y., and two sisters, Gertrude Weitzel and Helen May Oxenham, both of Silver Spring.


66, a retired deputy director of the security division of the Atomic Energy Commission, died July 19 at the Methodist Medical Center in Oak Ridge, Tenn. He had cancer.

Mr. Tharp went to work for the AEC at Oak Ridge in 1948. He was transferred to Washington in 1953. He remained here until 1976, when he retired and returned to Oak Ridge. He later was a security official for the Union Carbide Corp. and the Martin Marietta company.

A native of Lamar, Colo., Mr. Tharp served in the Army in World War II and later was stationed in Japan. He attended Texas Western College, Denver University and George Washington University.

During his years in the Washington area he lived in Rockville and was a member of St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Wheaton.

Survivors include his wife, the former Lorena Jane Colemere of Oak Ridge; two daughters, Sandra Taylor of Poolesville and Sherry Miller of Olney; one brother, Raymond Lee Tharp of Midland, Tex., and three grandchildren.


60, a Navy captain who was deputy inspector general at the Washington Navy Yard, died of cancer July 20 at the Bethesda Naval Hospital.

Capt. Shapero joined the Navy as an apprentice seaman in 1944; his World War II duty included assignments in China. Before he was commissioned an officer in 1958, he served aboard cruisers and destroyers and was stationed in Germany during the 1948 Berlin Airlift.

Subsequent assignments included service aboard ships stationed in California and Virginia Beach, command of the frigate Davidson in Hawaii, and duty as chief of staff for the commander of a carrier group in California and for the commander of U.S. Naval forces in the Philippines.

He was assigned to the Washington area in the early 1960s and again in 1976, when he served two years in a personnel assignment in the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations. He had been at the Navy Yard since 1986. He lived in Alexandria.

While serving in the Navy, Capt. Shapero received a bachelor's degree in foreign affairs at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, Calif., and a master's degree in international relations at George Washington University. He also took the command and staff course and the naval warfare course at the Naval War College in Newport, R.I.

Survivors include his wife, Lenore Yavener Shapero of Alexandria; two daughters, Ellen Shapero of Vernon, Conn., and Beth Jacobs of Palatine, Ill.; two sons, Harold S. Shapero of Hartford, Conn., and Craig D. Shapero of Houston; one sister, Eileen Newman of Baltimore, and one granddaughter.


46, who had practiced law in Washington since the early 1970s, died of cancer July 20 at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Freisen, a resident of Arlington, was born in Hutchinson, Kan., and graduated from the University of Kansas. He received a law degree at American University and a master's degree in international business administration from the American Graduate School of International Management.

From 1962 until 1969, Mr. Freisen served in the Navy; he remained in the Naval Reserves until he retired in 1986 with the rank of commander.

He practiced law by himself and specialized in corporate matters.

Survivors include his wife, Lindalou Freisen of Arlington; his parents, John and Milda Freisen of Hutchinson, and one sister, Carol Chabin of Denver.