Larry J. Larsen, 58, a retired Air Force colonel who became a consultant on international marketing, died of cancer July 18 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Col. Larsen, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Albert Lea, Minn. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., in 1951 and was commissioned in the Air Force. He became a pilot and saw active service in the war in Vietnam.

He also served in Britain and Germany and at various posts in this country. He was chief of the NATO armament cooperation division in the Office of the Secretary of Defense at the time he retired in 1978. His military decorations include the Distinguished Flying Cross with one Oak Leaf Cluster, the Legion of Merit and the Meritorious Service Medal.

In the course of his career Col. Larsen earned a master's degree in public administration and a doctorate in political science at Harvard University. When he left the Air Force he earned a law degree at George Washington University and became a member of the Virginia Bar.

In 1982, he went to work as a consultant with the RBI company in Washington and he continued there until his death.

His wife, Louise Wulff Larsen, died in 1979.

Survivors include two children, Erik Larsen of Albert Lea, and Lisa Spear of Alexandria; one sister, Patricia Ann Brown of Duluth, Minn., and one granddaughter.


70, a former English teacher at the Maret School in Washington who also taught in various countries where she accompanied her husband on his assignments as a Foreign Service officer, died of cancer July 23 at Durham County (N.C.) General Hospital.

Mrs. Dale, a resident of Chapel Hill, N.C., was born in Omaha. She graduated from Smith College.

She moved to Washington in 1946 and maintained a residence here until 1976, after which she moved to North Carolina.

She taught at Maret from 1949 to 1953 and again from 1955 to 1959. She accompanied her husband, William N. Dale, on assignments to Denmark, Canada, Paris, London, Turkey, Israel and the Central African Republic, where Mr. Dale was the U.S. ambassador. Among the places she taught was Turkey.

Mrs. Dale was a member of the Foreign Service Wives Association and was a docent at the Washington Cathedral.

In addition to her husband, of Chapel Hill, survivors include three sons, William N. Dale Jr. of Portland, Maine, Bernard C. Dale of Hillsborough, N.C., and Nelson C. Dale of Boston, and two granddaughters.


77, a pianist and a retired assistant professor of music at Catholic University, died of cancer July 20 at Suburban Hospital.

Mr. Allen joined the music faculty at Catholic University in 1950. He retired in 1974 but continued to teach part time after that.

A resident of Chevy Chase, he was born in Wilmington, N.C. He studied music at Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore where he earned a teacher's certificate and a piano artist diploma.

He was director of music at a summer playhouse on Cape Cod during the 1930s and later taught at the Henry Street Settlement School in New York City. During World War II he served in the Army and organized a music therapy program at a hospital in New Orleans.

Mr. Allen moved to the Washington area after the war. Before joining the Catholic University faculty he taught at Peabody Conservatory and at Notre Dame College in Baltimore.

He also toured the country as a concert pianist, and he appeared as a guest soloist with the National Symphony Orchestra, the Baltimore Symphony and the Peabody Symphony.

He was named Educator of the Year by Catholic University in 1973 and in 1974 received the Bene Merenti Medal from Pope Paul VI for service to the church through music.

Survivors include four sisters, Rose Allen Picot and Margaret Allen McCall, both of Wilmington, Frances Allen Kemp of Pine Bluff, Ark., and Marion B. Cail of Sudbury, Mass.


78, retired deputy director for finance in the management and budget services section of the department of veterans benefits in the Veterans Administration, died of cancer July 23 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mr. Stewart, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Elizabeth, N.J. He earned a degree in engineering at the University of North Carolina and a degree in accounting at Southern Methodist University. He served in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II.

He joined the VA after the war and was assigned in Texas and Oklahoma before he came to Washington in 1949. He retired in 1973.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Fan, of Alexandria; one son, James, of Arlington; two daughters, Christine Ross of Springfield and Frances Weed of Alexandria; 10 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.


76, a registered nurse who had been director of nurses at the Methodist Home of the District of Columbia from 1969 to 1977, died of a heart attack July 22 at her summer home at Columbia Beach, Md.

Mrs. Saunders, who also lived in Washington, was born in Frostburg, Md., and attended the old Freedmen's School of Nursing in Washington. She worked as a nurse in Denton, Md., for about five years, then returned to Washington in 1938 after her marriage to Dr. Ottawa Jefferson Saunders. He died in 1969.

Mrs. Saunders was a former president of the Dental Wives Association in Washington, a board member of the Phyllis Wheatley YWCA, and a member of the Columbia Beach Citizens Association ahd the Blagden Terrace Neighborhood Association. She was a member of the social club and the missionary board of Reed Temple AME Church in Washington.

Survivors include four daughters, Anita Saunders of New Carrollton, Edna Gallagher of Upper Marlboro, Ottawana Anderson of Washington, and Lavelette Ann White of Silver Spring; one son, Ottawa J. Saunders Jr. of Washington; one sister, Anita Pope of Baltimore, and five grandchildren.


72, a retired communications and code specialist with the Central Intelligence Agency, died July 23 at North Arundel Hospital in Glen Burnie. She had suffered complications from head and rib injuries received in a fall 2 1/2 months ago at the Crofton home of a nurse who was taking care of her after she had a stroke.

Miss Hazard, a resident of Falls Church, was born in Washington and graduated from Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School and George Washington University. She also attended Temple Business School.

Before World War II she was a clerk at several government agencies, then served as a communications officer in the Coast Guard during the war. From 1947 to 1950, she was secretary to the chairman of a U.S. delegation to an international conference on radio frequencies in Geneva.

She joined the CIA in 1950 and retired in 1973.

Miss Hazard had done volunteer work for the Red Cross.

Survivors include one brother, John W. Hazard of Lorton, and one sister, Rosemary W. Ropes of Dunedin, Fla.


60, an Alexandria real estate agent and property manager and a member of the city's planning commission and board of zoning appeals, died July 19 at a hospital in Liessegen, Switzerland, after a heart attack. He was visiting a cousin when he was stricken.

Mr. Wheatley was a lifelong resident of Alexandria and a graduate of George Washington High School. He attended George Washington University and served in the Army in Europe during World War II.

As a young man, Mr. Wheatley was an outstanding baseball pitcher, and was drafted by the Washington Senators after the war. He played for several of the Senators' farm teams in Virginia and for the New York Yankees' farm team in Harrisonburg, Va.

Since 1951, he had been a real estate agent and property manager with R.L. Kane Inc. in Alexandria.

Mr. Wheatley served 20 years on the Alexandria planning commission and board of zoning appeals. He was a member of the Alexandria Kiwanis Club, the Old Dominion Boat Club and the Alexandria Sportsman's Club.

For several years he coached youth baseball teams in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife, Katharine Kane Wheatley, three daughters, Katharine Lee Wheatley, Carolyn Rose Wheatley and Susan Wheatley Rowell, his mother, Rosa Wheatley, and one granddaughter, all of Alexandria.


60, a Washington native who worked for the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. and IBM, died July 24 at Jupiter Hospital in Jupiter, Fla. He had lung and kidney ailments.

Mr. McNerney, a resident of Jupiter, graduated from St. John's College High School and Catholic University. During World War II he served in the Merchant Marine in the Atlantic.

In 1947, he went to work for C&P as an electrical engineer. In 1962, he joined IBM in Poughkeepsie, N.Y., as a senior product planner. The following year he returned to the Washington area and remained here until 1966. He then went to Florida for IBM. He was back in Washington from 1973 to 1977, when he was transferred to Austin, Tex. In 1985 he retired to Florida.

Mr. McNerney was active in the St. John's and Catholic alumni associations. He also was a longtime member of the parish of the St. Jane de Chantal Catholic Church in Bethesda and a fourth degree member of the Knights of Columbus.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Jane McNerney of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; eight children, Michael J. McNerney of Fort Lauderdale, J. Gregory McNerney, Kathleen Harris, Sheila Leacock, and Robert A. McNerney, all of Orlando, Louise Nehl of Houston, Sharon Venker of St. Louis, and Kevin A. McNerney of Oakton; two brothers, John J. McNerney of Silver Spring and Judge Thomas F. McNerney of Brigantine, N.J., and 10 grandchildren.