Arthur J. Hilly, 68, a retired grants official with the Department of Housing and Urban Development and a decorated veteran of World War II and the Korean War, died of cancer July 26 at his home at Rossmoor Leisure World in Silver Spring.

Mr. Hilly was born in New York City and attended St. John's University and New York Law School. In World War II, he served in the Army infantry in the Pacific and received the Silver Star, the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart. After a short period in civilian life, he rejoined the Army in 1947. He lost a leg in the fighting near the Chosen Reservoir in Korea in December 1950, and was awarded a second Purple Heart.

In 1951, he moved to Washington as a patient at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. In 1952, he retired from the service with the rank of captain.

In 1954, after working briefly in private industry, Mr. Hilly went to work for the federal civil defense program. He transferred to HUD when it was organized in 1965, and retired in 1977.

Mr. Hilly was a member of the Disabled American Veterans and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. He also was a member of Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church in Silver Spring and had coached women's basketball in the Catholic Youth Organization.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Margaret Hilly of Rossmoor Leisure World; three sons, Arthur J. Hilly Jr. of Palm Beach, Fla., John Hilly of Gaithersburg, and James Hilly of Potomac; one daughter, Margaret Hilly of Silver Spring; three brothers, John Hilly of Lantana, Fla., Vincent P. Hilly of Bay Shore, N.Y., and Raymond P. Hilly of Massapequa Park, N.Y.; three sisters, Kathryn McCall of Ocala, Fla., Ismay Stephens of Leonardo, N.J., and Margaret Wallace of Venice, Fla., and two grandchildren.


69, a retired national publications editor with the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association and the American Public Power Association, died of congestive heart failure July 28 at a hospital in Burlington, Vt.

Mr. Cronin was born in Burlington.. He graduated from St. Michael's College in Vermont. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific.

After the war, he joined the Burlington Daily News, where he became managing editor. He moved to the Washington area in 1960 and worked as a speech writer for the Democratic National Committee for four years.

In 1964, Mr. Cronin became national publications editor for both the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association and the American Public Power Association. He retired in 1979 and moved back to Vermont.

Survivors include his wife, Edwina Stevens Cronin of Burlington; two sons, Timothy S. and Gary P. Cronin, both of Colchester, Vt., and two grandchildren.


91, a painter who specialized in landscapes, seascapes and still lifes, died of heart and lung ailments July 21 at the Fort Washington Rehabilitation Center in Fort Washington. She lived in Accokeek, Md.

Mrs. Mills was born in Marinette, Wis. She studied art at Monterey Peninsula College in California. She lived in Pacific Grove, Calif., before moving to the Washington area in 1963.

Her husband, Clair W. Mills, died in 1971. Survivors include two sons, Donald C. and Richard L. Mills, both of Accokeek, and two grandsons.


81, a retired editor and writer with the U.S. Information Agency and a former reporter with the Washington Evening Star, died of cardiac arrest July 26 at the Alexandria Hospital. He lived in Alexandria.

Mr. Morris was born in Ironwood, Mich. During World War II, he served in the Army. He worked as a reporter in New York City before moving to the Washington area in the late 1940s and joining The Evening Star. He went to work for the USIA in about 1953 and retired in 1974.

He was a member of the Photographic Society of America.

His marriage to Margaret E. Morris ended in divorce.

Survivors include three sons, Bruce Morris of Silver Spring, Scott Morris of Sykesville, Md., and Richard Morris of Santa Fe; one daughter, Joan Howe of Clarkesville, Md.; four sisters, Marie Diskin of Duluth, Minn., Anne Ruth of Medford, Ore., and Helen Smith and Molly Schwandt, both of Minneapolis; two brothers, William Morris of Duluth and Ted Morris of Maplewood, N.J., and two grandsons.


67, a former Washington clinical psychologist, died of emphysema July 24 at her home in Basel, Switzerland.

Mrs. Endrei was born in Berlin and graduated from the University of Budapest. She was a volunteer nurse at an International Red Cross Hospital in Budapest during World War II.

She moved to the Washington area after the war and received a master's degree in psychology at George Washington University. She practiced clinical psychologist here from 1952 until 1964.

From 1964 until the early 1980s, she lived in Basel and in Washington.

Her marriage to Dr. Laszlo N. Tauber ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband, Dr. Imre Endrei of Basel; two children by her first marriage, Dr. Alfred I. Tauber of Boston and Dr. Ingrid D. Tauber of San Francisco, and four grandchildren.


72, a retired lieutenant colonel in the Marine Corps Reserves who had been active in construction projects here for many years, died of peritonitis and cancer July 26 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Bethesda.

Mr. Waskey attended a teachers college in his native Pennsylvania. In the 1930s, he served four years as an enlisted man in the Marine Corps. He was recalled to active duty in World War II and was commissioned while serving on Guadalcanal. He left active duty after the war and retired from the Reserves in 1961.

In 1946, he moved to Washington and became a D.C. sewer inspector. He then worked on a variety of commercial construction projects in the area. He also sold heavy construction equipment. He retired in the mid-1970s.

From 1978 to 1981, he worked for the Virginia community college system as a construction inspector at Northern Virginia Community College.

Mr. Waskey was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church in Rockville, the 1st Marine Division Association, American Legion Post No. 268 in Wheaton, and Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 2562 in Silver Spring.

His first wife, the former Sydney Adams, died in 1953. His marriage to Edith Waskey ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Noreen, whom he married in 1968 and who lives in Bethesda; three sons by his first marriage, William, of Doylestown, Pa., Joseph, of Pasadena, Md., and James, of Denver; one brother, Leonard, of Canton, N.Y., and four grandchildren.


77, an area resident since 1935 who was a buyer with Woodward & Lothrop for 20 years before retiring in 1956, died of an embolism July 27 at Fairfax Hospital.

After leaving Woodies, she worked in family investment ventures.

Mrs. Naisbitt, who lived in McLean, was a native of Colorado. She had attended the University of Utah.

Survivors include her husband of 53 years, Harold A. Naisbit of McLean, and three sisters, Beverly Owens of Denver, Myrtle Groesbeck and Janice Adams, both of Salt Lake City.


68, a retired communications specialist with the Department of the Air Force, died of kidney ailments and cardiac arrest July 28 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mr. Kelly, a resident of Kensington, was born in Washington and graduated from Eastern High School and Benjamin Franklin University. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces in North Africa.

After the war, he returned to the Washington area and worked as a civilian for the Air Force until he retired in 1975.

Mr. Kelly was a member of Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Kensington and was a past deputy grand knight of the Rosensteel Council of the Knights of Columbus.

Survivors include his wife, Grace T. Kelly of Kensington; two daughters, Joanne O'Malley of Crofton and Kathleen Bransford of Burke; one son, John T. Kelly of Bethesda; one brother, retired Navy Capt. Joseph P. Kelly of Chevy Chase, and four grandchildren.