Two men robbed a Springfield man as he was using an automatic bank teller machine in Alexandria early yesterday and then stole his car, police said. The car was driven into the District, where it struck another vehicle and overturned near the steps of the District Building, they said.

D.C. police charged Michael Lewis Smith, 29, address unknown, and Franklin Demone Holmes, 25, of 7401 New Hampshire Ave., Takoma Park, with being fugitives from justice, a District police spokesman said. Alexandria police issued warrants for the two men charging them with armed robbery in the case.

Smith and Holmes were being held in the District last night pending extradition hearings, police and court officials said.

Thomas W. Stevens, 24, was trying to make a withdrawal from an automatic teller machine at 12:34 a.m. yesterday at United Virginia Bank at 3610 King St. He told police that two men asked him to help them jump-start their car. After he agreed, Stevens said, the men seized him from behind and threatened him with a gun.

"As I got out my jumper cables, they stuck a gun in my neck and said, 'Give me your money, all of it,' " Stevens said in an interview. The two men took his wallet, went through his pockets and drove away in his 1973 Toyota Corolla.

The men abandoned the car they had been driving, a 1979 Ford Fairmont station wagon that had been reported stolen Monday night from a parking lot in Prince George's County, officials said.

Stevens said he saw the two men drive west on King Street and ran to a nearby supermarket to call police. The car's description was broadcast over the air and when Alexandria police Officer Max Kohnke saw a vehicle matching the description going north on Shirley Highway, he followed it, Alexandria police spokesman Dennis Butler said.

When the car reached the 14th Street bridge, it "started making evasive maneuvers," Butler said. The officer then turned on his red lights and siren and followed the speeding car into the District. It struck another vehicle in the 300 block of 14th Street, flipped over and landed near the steps of the District Building.

District police said they found Stevens' wallet and a starter pistol in the car.

The two men were taken to George Washington University Hospital where they were treated and released into police custody, officials said. Holmes was treated for a separation of the left shoulder and a shoulder cut, and Smith lost consciousness briefly and also suffered a shoulder separation, officials said.