HUGH WHEELER,75, who won Tony awards for writing books for the musicals "Sweeney Todd" and "A Little Night Music," died July 26 at a hospital in Pittsfield, Mass. He had heart and lung ailments.

He wrote the book for Stephen Sondheim's "A Little Night Music" in 1973 and "Sweeney Todd" in 1978 and he revised the book for the 1974 production of Leonard Bernstein's "Candide," for which he also won a Tony.

Mr. Wheeler also wrote 32 novels, 15 novellas and about 80 short stories under such pseudonyms as Patrick Quentin and Jonathan Stagge. He wrote the screenplays for "Travels with My Aunt," "Cabaret," "A Little Night Music" and "Nijinski." He was a 1961 and 1973 recipient of Edgar Allen Poe mystery-writing awards.


91, an obstetrician and a World War I recipient of the Medal of Honor, died July 27 in Pontiac, Mich. The cause of death was not reported.

He won the Medal of Honor for his actions at Bantheville, France. After his company commander and several members of his unit were killed, he moved to a position behind German lines, knocked out four machine gun nests and captured 20 men. After the war, he practiced medicine in Pontiac for more than 50 years.


59, a jazz pianist who played ragtime and Dixieland music in the rollicking "stride" style pioneered by James P. Johnson and Fats Waller, died July 24 in Palo Alto, Calif., after a heart attack.

Mr. Wellstood specialized in up-tempo stride music, which goes back to the roots of jazz. He began playing professionally at New York City jazz clubs in the late 1940s. He played with the Gene Krupa Quartet and was a regular performer at the Newport Jazz Festival.


78, a retired Pennsylvania physician who as a Navy researcher who tested the first naval aircraft ejection seat and also was instrumental in designing and testing high-altitude equipment later used by the Navy, Air Force and NASA, died July 27 at his home in Beaver, Pa. The cause of death was not reported.

He was a Navy commander during World War II, serving as an aircraft carrier flight surgeon. Later, he was director of the Navy Aero-Medical Research Laboratory, where he tested the ejection seat.