73, a retired program analyst and police traffic specialist with the old Defense Civil Preparedness Agency, died of pulmonary arrest July 24 at the Veterans Administration hospital in Washington.

Mr. Stack, a resident of Arlington, was born in Pittsburgh and served 15 years on the city police force there. During World War II he served in the Army in the Pacific.

In 1948 he had a Kemper Fellowship at Northwestern University's Traffic Institute, and from 1952 to 1955 he was field representative of the traffic division of the International Association of Chiefs of Police at Northwestern.

Later he worked for the Office of Civil Defense in Battle Creek, Mich. In 1963 and 1964 he was a public safety adviser in Brazil for the Agency for International Development.

He moved to the Washington area in 1965, and joined what later became the Defense Civil Preparedness Agency as a police specialist. He retired in 1979.

Mr. Stack was a member of the American Legion, the Disabled American Veterans and the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

Survivors include his wife, Mary T. Shaffer Stack of Arlington; one son, Thomas P. Stack Jr. of Great Falls, and two brothers, Bartholomew and John Stack, and two sisters, Rita Lynch and Katherine Kuchma, all of Pittsburgh.


81, a retired pharmacist who owned and operated drug stores in Washington and Ohio, died of Alzheimer's disease July 30 at University Nursing Home in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Moss was born in Xenia, Ohio. She graduated from the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy.

She first moved to Washington in 1933. In the early 1940s she operated Moss' Pharmacy with her husband, Clarence Moss. They moved to Ohio around 1950 but returned here in the mid-1950s and opened the Langston Pharmacy. Mr. Moss died in 1957.

In the 1960s, Mrs. Moss moved to Cleveland where she operated a pharmacy until she retired in 1976. Since retirement she had lived with her daughter, Mary Frances Williams, in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Moss was a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority.

In addition to her daughter, she is survived by four grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.


60, a maintenance supervisor with the bus division of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority, died of cancer July 29 at his home in Laurel.

Mr. Gibson was born in Charleston, W.Va. He served in the Army during World War II. He moved to the Washington area in 1951 and joined the old Capital Transit Co., a predecessor of WMATA.

He was a member of the Cornerstone Assembly of God Church in Bowie.

Survivors include his wife, Isabelle Gibson of Laurel; two daughters, Belinda J. Nestor of Oak Park, Ill., and Billie Jean Ellington of Severn; one son, Douglas W. Gibson of Dale City, and five grandchildren.


92, a retired New Jersey lawyer and a resident of Washington since 1979, died of cardiac arrest July 30 at Georgetown University Hospital.

In the 1930s, Mrs. Perlman worked for the old Works Progress Administration in New Jersey. During World War II, she was a lawyer with the New Jersey regional office of the Office of Price Administration.

A native of Austria, Mrs. Perlman moved to the United States in 1904 and settled in Paterson, N.J. She graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, where she also earned a law degree.

She and her husband, Sol Phillips Perlman, practiced law together until retiring in 1975. Mr. Perlman died in 1978, and Mrs. Perlman moved to the Washington area a year later.

Survivors include one son, T.S.L. Perlman of Washington; one daughter, Joan Perlman Fisher of South Hackensack, N.J., and four grandchildren.


72, a longtime area resident who was an avid gardener, died of pneumonia July 29 at the Grosvenor Health Care Center in Bethesda. She lived in Rockville.

Mrs. Notes was born in Charlottesville. She moved to the Washington area in 1932.

Her husband, Isaac Notes, died in 1972. Survivors include a daughter, Dora Wakefield of Olney; a son, William Notes of Rockville; three sisters, Fletis Millis of Aaronsburg, Pa., Ruth Wildason of Meyerstown, Pa., and Bertha Dudley of Charlottesville; two brothers, George and Paul Dudley, both of Charlottesville, and two grandchildren.


50, a bookkeeper who had been part owner and manager of the Charcoal Hearth Restaurant in Arlington from 1960 to 1980, died of cancer July 29 at Jefferson Memorial Hospital in Fairfax.

Mrs. Wine, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Rock Hill, S.C., and moved to Washington when she was 16. She attended McKinley Technical High School. Since selling her interest in the Charcoal Hearth she had been a bookkeeper with the Woodbridge-based GBS Systems.

She was a member of St. John's United Methodist Church in Springfield.

Her marriage to John Varlas ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband, M. Vance (Skip) Wine of Springfield; one daughter by her first marriage, Cathy L. Varlas, also of Springfield, and two stepchildren, David Vance Wine of Springfield and Sherry Wine Latker of Fairfax.


83, a resident of the Washington area since leaving her native Hungary in 1959, died of pneumonia and a stroke July 28 at Suburban Hospital.

Mrs. Oscodal, a resident of Bethesda, was born in Perlak, Hungary. She was a registered nurse and worked in a tuberculosis sanatorium in Budapest before coming to this country.

She was a volunteer with the Democratic Party in Montgomery County and a member of the St. Jane de Chantal Catholic Church in Bethesda. She also had been a volunteer in behalf of Hungarian freedom fighter groups.

Her husband, Desiderius Oscodal, died in 1954. Survivors include a daughter, Marie Oscodal de Kun of Bethesda, and a grandchild.


66, a practical nurse in Washington from 1950 until she retired about 1970, died July 29 at the South Hills Health Center in Jefferson, Pa. She had diabetes.

Mrs. Peterson was born in Smithton, Pa. She came to Washington as an infant and lived in the city for the rest of her life.

She was a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

Survivors include her husband, John Peterson of New York City; one sister, Alyce Walker of Washington, and two brothers, John C. Moore of Washington and Luther Moore of Republic, Pa.


92, a retired secretary with the old patent law firm of Zalkind and Schuster, died of congestive heart failure July 27 at The Washington Home and Hospice.

Mrs. Manson was born in Lille, Maine. She graduated from Shaw Secretarial College in Maine. She moved to the Washington area in 1941.

She worked for several patent law firms before joining the D.C. Health Department in 1947. She was employed by the Internal Revenue Service during the early 1950s and later worked for the Department of Interior. Beginning in 1957, she worked for several other law firms. She was a secretary with Zalkind and Schuster when she retired in 1968.

Her marriage to Ralph Manson ended in divorce. She leaves no immediate survivors.