William S. Moorhead, 64, a Democratic congressman from Pennsylvania for 22 years before retiring from the House of Representatives in 1981, died of cancer Aug. 3 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. He lived in The Plains, Va.
During his years in the House, Mr. Moorhead served on the Banking, Finance and Urban Development Committee and he was chairman of its economic stabilization subcommittee. He also was a member of the Government Operations Committee and had been chairman of its foreign operations and government information subcommittee.
Mr. Moorhead helped pass such measures as the Privacy Act of 1974, which restricted government dissemination of information on people, and he worked to stengthen the Freedom of Information Act that year.
He helped initiate measures that gave federal loan guarantees to New York City and the Chrysler Corp. He was a sponsor of legislation to provide federal financial assistance to the arts and humanities.
Mr. Moorhead was a native of Pittsburgh and served in the Navy in Pacific during World War II. He was a graduate of Yale University and received his law degree from Harvard University in 1949. He then joined a Pittsburgh law firm founded by his father.
He was an assistant city solicitor in Pittsburgh from 1954 to 1957 and a member of the Allegheny County Housing Authority from 1957 to 1958. He was the candidate of Pittsburgh's powerful Mayor David Lawrence for Pennsylvania's 14th congressional seat. He easily won election until 1978, when a Republian businessman held him to 57 percent of the vote. He did not run for reelection in 1980.
He had practiced law in Washington since leaving Congress. At the time of his death, he was a partner in the Washington firm of Coan, Couture, Lyons & Moorhead.
Survivors include his wife, the former Lucy Galpin, of The Plains; a daughter, Perrin Moorhead Grayson of Baltimore; three sons, William S. III, of Washington, Stephen G., of Boston, and James B., of Columbia, and five grandchildren.
JAMES B. DAVIS,
70, a retired director of the office of administrative services at the National Institutes of Health who was active in church organizations, died of heart ailments Aug. 2 at Holy Cross Hospital.
Mr. Davis, a resident of Silver Spring, was born in Washington. He graduated from Eastern High School. During World War II he served in the Navy in the Pacific.
He began his career at NIH as a clerk-typist in 1938. In 1969 he was named director of the office of administrative services, a post in which he supervised 1,000 people and a budget of $80 million. He also attended trade exhibits in Europe and Asia to oversee exhibits of U.S. medical equipment. He retired from NIH in 1974.
For the next two years Mr. Davis was president and general manager of the NIH Recreation and Welfare Association. Since 1976, he had been a consultant to a medical equipment firm.
Mr. Davis was a past grand knight of the Rosensteel Council of the Knights of Columbus and an usher and lector at St. Bernadette's Catholich Church. While at NIH, he started a program under which employes, instead of exchanging Christmas cards, make donations to a fund to assist the families of patients.
Survivors include his wife, Irene Davis of Silver Spring; two sons, William T. Davis of Takoma Park and John M. Davis of Silver Spring; five daughters, Irene Clagett of Olney, Bonnie Seidle of Muncie, Ind., and Violet Fortuna, Patricia Davis and Kathleen Adams, all of Silver Spring; a sister, Margaret Smith of Hyattsville, and 12 grandchildren.
MADELYN S. ANDERSON,
55, a volunteer tutor and teacher in the Alexandria schools, died of cancer Aug. 2 at Fairfax Hospital.
Mrs. Anderson started the tutoring program at Lyles-Crouch Elementary School in 1966 when her own children were young, and she was active in it for seven years. She later went to T.C. Williams High School as a classroom aide working with mentally retarded students.
A 1953 graduate of Smith College, she enrolled at George Mason University in the early 1980s to qualify herself as an English teacher. She taught at T.C. Williams for a year before she became ill.
Mrs. Anderson was born in Kansas City, Mo. She grew up in Europe and New York and moved to the Washington area in 1956.
In 1977-78, she was president of the Alexandria Crew Boosters Club, the parents' organization that raises funds for the Alexandria schools' rowing program. In that job she led a drive for tighter standards of water safety.
From 1975 to 1980, Mrs. Anderson was a trustee of the Alexandria Legal Aid Society and at the time of her death she was a volunteer at Alexandria Hospital.
She also was a member of the Kiln Club of Washington and St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Alexandria.
Survivors include her husband, John W. Anderson of Alexandria; a daughter, Mrs. David Whitehill, also of Alexandria, and a son, Adam Anderson of New Haven, Conn.
EDWARD JOHN MALLEY,
45, a production official for Gaithersburg-based high-technology industries for the last 20 years, died of cancer July 22 at Southern Maryland Hospital Center.
Mr. Malley, a resident of Gaithersburg, was born in Newcastle, Pa. He served in the Navy from 1961 to 1966.
He moved to this area after leaving the Navy. From 1966 to 1975 he worked at Transtech Inc., where he set up microwave test procedures for products used in satellite dishes. From 1975 to 1986, he worked at Solarex and helped set up the manufacturing of products used in solar panels.
Since earlier this year he had been director of materials operations of Quantex Inc., a company that makes infrared sensors.
Survivors include three sisters, Van Malley and Anita Mills, both of Newcastle, and Susan Malley of North Brunswick, N.J., and two brothers, John Malley of Phoenix, and Joe Malley of Tampa, Fla.
CHARLES N. HERGENRATHER,
65, a salesman with the Charles E. Stott office supply company for 30 years before retiring this year, died Aug. 1 at Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore after a heart attack.
Mr. Hergenrather, who lived in Alexandria, was stricken July 26 while in Baltimore to attend an Orioles baseball game.
He was a native of Towson, Md. He served with the Army in the Mediterranean theater during World War II. His decorations included the Silver Star and Purple Heart. He moved to the Washington area after the war, and graduated from George Washington University in 1950 with a bachelor's degree in government.
Mr. Hergenrather was a member of St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Alexandria, where he had been a senior warden, vestryman and church treasurer and had taught Sunday school.
His marriages to the former Margaret Rogers and the former DeLoris Rhoads ended in divorce.
Survivors include his wife, the Rev. Lynda S. Hergenrather of Alexandria; three children by his second marriage, C. Neale Hergenrather of Orlando, Fla., L. Shaw Hergenrather of Hampton, Va., and Julie Shields of Itasca, Ill.; two brothers, Louis Hergenrather III of Towson and Joseph Hergenrather of Stevensville, Md.; three sisters, Louise Hagenrather of Towson, Elizabeth Stewart of West Palm Beach, Fla., and Ella Mackey Bussey of Cockeysville, Md., and one grandchild.
WILLIAM H. FIELD,
56, vice president and managing director of the Washington Design Center, died of cancer July 27 at Georgetown University Hospital.
Mr. Field, a resident of Fairfax, was born in Buffalo. He graduated from Michigan State University.
He had been at the Design Center, a wholesale furnishings facility, since April of 1984. Before that he was vice president and sales manager of the Kittinger Co., a furniture manufacturer, in Buffalo.
His first wife, Mary Field, died in 1983.
Survivors include his wife, Greta Field of Fairfax; four children by his first marriage, Elizabeth, William, John and Thomas Field, all of Buffalo, and one stepdaughter, Cynthia Cummings of Fairfax.
ALICE T. MARSTON,
85, a retired professor of bacteriology at Boston University medical school who later managed a medical laboratory at the State Department, died of Alzheimer's disease Aug. 2 at her home in Rossmoor Leisure World in Silver Spring.
Dr. Marston was born in Wilmington, Del. She graduated from Kansas State University and received master's and doctoral degrees in bacteriology at the University of Pennsylvania. She was on the faculty at Boston University from about 1928 to 1968.
In 1968 she came to the Washington area. For five years she was a Foreign Service staff officer in charge of the State Department laboratory where medical tests were done on personnel who were returning or embarking on overseas assignments.
Dr. Marston was active in stamp collecting, gardening and bowling clubs at Rossmoor Leisure World.
She leaves no immediate survivors.
92, a resident of the Washington area from 1910 until 1986, when she moved to a nursing home in Pompano Beach, Fla., died there Aug. 1 after a heart attack.
She was a member of the Washington Hebrew Academy and a life member of Hadassah.
Mrs. Mottsman was born in New Jersey and graduated from the old Business High School in Washington.
Her husband, Emanuel, died in 1972. Survivors include two daughters, Evelyn Zweig and Norma Jean Gordon, both of Rockville; a sister, Eva Keroes of Washington; five grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren.