Edward Patrick Guinane, 90, a former FBI official, Senate staffer and investigator with the Commerce Department and the Agency for International Development, died of renal failure Aug. 16 at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital. He lived in Falls Church.

He served with the FBI from 1927 to 1943. During those years, he participated in such notable investigations as the Lindbergh kidnaping and the Dillinger case. He also had been special agent in charge of offices in Denver, St. Paul, Minn., Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Mo., Cleveland and Birmingham, Ala.

Mr. Guinane served with the Commerce Department's Office of International Trade, where he became deputy director of the investigation staff, from 1948 to 1952. Before that, he had spent a year as an investigator with the Reconstruction Finance Corp. and two years as deputy director of the War Assets Administration's enforcement division.

After leaving Commerce, he worked for the Senate Agriculture Committee and then was an investigator with AID. He retired from AID and the government in 1969.

Mr. Guinane, who had lived in this area since 1945, was a native of Superior, Wis. He was a graduate of George Washington University and its law school. He served with the Army in France during World War I, and with the Coast Guard in this country during World War II.

Survivors include his wife, Estill Morgan Guinane, of Falls Church; a daughter, Julie Hinchey of Richmond, and two grandchildren.


69, who worked for the Federal Communications Commission for 32 years before retiring in 1978 as a branch chief in its antenna survey division, died of a heart ailment Aug. 15 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. He lived in Rockville.

Since retiring from the FCC, he had been a part-time cashier at the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission golf course in Montgomery County.

Mr. Thomas, who moved here in 1947, was a Missouri native. He served with the Army in Panama and in the China-Burma-India theater during World War II.

He was a past president of the Rock Creek Amateur Radio Association and a member of the Radio Amateurs Civil Emergency Service and the Rockville chapter of the Izaak Walton League. He was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church in Rockville.

Survivors include his wife, the former Nan Burke, of Rockville; four sons, Mark E., of Germantown, Md., Joseph Jr., of Chicago, Michael A., of Gaithersburg, and Brian B., of Rockville; two daughters, Cheryl T. Hill of Camarillo, Calif., and Mary T. Bernatz of Monrovia, Md.; three brothers, James J., of Millstadt, Ill., and Kenneth C. and Frederick L., both of Quincy, Ill.; two sisters, Gertrude C. Thomas of Washington, and Mary Ann T. Prather of Florissant, Mo., and six grandchildren.


75, a retired enforcement division chief with the D.C. Finance Department who worked for the city for 37 years before retiring in 1967, died Aug. 15 at a hospital in Pinellas Park, Fla., after a heart attack.

Mr. Kidd, who lived in Pinellas Park, was a Washington native and lived here until moving to Florida in 1971. He was a graduate of Eastern High School.

He had been a 33rd degree Mason.

Survivors include his wife, Marion Gertrude, of Pinellas Park; two sons, William C., of Gaithersburg, and Timothy M., of Herndon; a sister, Dorothy Groth of Winchester, Va., and four grandchildren.