Charles H. Wesley, 95, a leading scholar of black history in the United States, a former dean of the graduate school of Howard University and a former president of Wilberforce and Central State universities in Ohio, died of pneumonia and cardiac arrest Aug. 16 at Howard University Hospital.

Dr. Wesley was the author of hundreds of articles and 12 books on black history, ranging from studies of black labor in the United States to a biography of Richard Allen, the founder of the African Methodist Episcopal Church.

He wrote extensively about the history and development of black fraternal organizations, and he made a point of writing about the group life of blacks instead of blacks as objects of government policy.

He also was a leading churchman. Between 1918 and 1938, he was pastor of the Ebenezer and Campbell AME churches in Washington while serving on the Howard faculty and pursuing graduate studies at Harvard University. During this period, he was presiding elder of all the AME churches in Washington.

From 1931 to 1940, Dr. Wesley was general president of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity, an organization of black collegians founded around the turn of the century to press for full rights of citizenship for blacks.

"Charles Harris Wesley was a legend in his own time at Howard," university President James E. Cheek said in 1982 at the 75th anniversary dinner of the Beta chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha at Howard. "His deep concern that the pages of history should objectively reflect the contributions of black folk to American civilization was monumental in its importance."

A Washington resident, Dr. Wesley was born in Louisville. He graduated from Fisk University in Nashville at age 19 and won a graduate fellowship at Yale University, where he earned his board by waiting on tables. He received a master's degree in history there in 1913 and joined the Howard faculty the same year.

During his early years at Howard, he met Carter G. Woodson, the editor of the Journal of Negro History from 1916 to 1950. Woodson encouraged Dr. Wesley to specialize in the study of black history, and the young scholar took that advice.

He won a graduate fellowship at Harvard in 1920, but he returned to Washington regularly to preach from the pulpits of the Campbell and Ebenezer AME churches.

In 1925, Harvard awarded him a doctorate, and two years later his doctoral dissertation, "Negro Labor in the United States 1850 to 1925: A Study in American Economic History," was published. It was the first comprehensive study of American blacks as laborers instead of slaves. The New York Times called it a "valuable contribution to the economic history of the United States." At Howard University, it was said to have marked the beginning of scientific social research.

The next dozen years were a prime period for scholarship at Howard University. With most white colleges closed to black students and faculty, Howard became one of the world's leading centers for black scholarship. In 1926, Dr. Wesley was one of the influential faculty figures in persuading the board of trustees to appoint the university's first black president, Mordecai W. Johnson.

In the 1930s, Dr. Wesley wrote "The Collapse of the Confederacy," in which he developed a revisionist thesis that the South's loss in the Civil War was caused by internal social disintegration, and "Richard Allen, Apostle of Freedom." In the latter book he portrayed the founder of the AME church as a leader who stressed the importance of independent thought and action for black social progress.

During 1930 and 1931, Dr. Wesley was a Guggenheim Fellow in London, where he researched slavery in the West Indies. Later at Howard, he wrote regularly on slavery and emancipation in the British Empire.

He was acting dean of the college of liberal arts at Howard in 1937 and 1938, then was dean of the graduate school from 1938 to 1942.

In 1942 he was named president of Wilberforce University, an institution operated by the bishops of the AME Church. He left that job in 1947 to form Central State University, a state-supported institution, and he was its president until he retired and moved back to Washington in 1965. He served seven years as director of the Association for the Study of Afro-American Life and History here before he retired again in 1972.

Since 1941, Dr. Wesley had been historian of Alpha Phi Alpha. He also was a 33rd degree Mason and a member of Hiram Lodge No. 4 in Washington. He was Grand Prior Emeritus of the United Supreme Council of the Scottish Rite and was a member of the Odd Fellows and the Elks.

His first wife, Louise Johnson Wesley, to whom he was married for 58 years, died in 1973. A daughter, Louise J. Wesley, died in 1950.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Porter Wesley of Washington; one daughter by his first marriage, Charlotte Wesley Holloman of Washington; one stepdaughter, Constance Porter Uzelac of Santa Marina, Calif., and one grandchild.


78, a retired major general in the Army Chemical Corps and a former commander of U.S. Army forces in Japan, died of stroke Aug. 20 at the White Hall nursing home in St. Petersburg, Fla.

Gen. Fellenz, who maintained a residence in the Washington area from 1946 until he retired to St. Petersburg in 1972, was born into an Army family at Fort Leavenworth, Kan. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., in the class of 1934 and was commissioned in the Chemical Corps.

As a young officer, he was a member of the Army tennis and rifle teams.

During World War II, he served in North Afria, Sicily and Italy. His postwar career included assignments as commander of Fort Dietrich, Md., the Edgewood Arsenal and the Army Chemical Center at Edgewood, Md., and Fort Douglas, Utah, site of the Chemical Corps' Desert Proving Grounds.

He commanded Army forces in Japan from 1964 to 1967, when he retired from the service. He then worked for the Monsanto Chemical Co. in Washington until his second retirement in 1972.

Gen. Fellenz's military decorations included the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star and the Army Commendation Medal.

He was a former resident of Falls Church and a member of St. Anthony's Catholic Church there. He also was a member of the Knights of Columbus, Rotary International and the Retired Officers Association.

Survivors include his wife of 53 years, Mary H. Fellenz of St. Petersburg; two daughters, Mary R. Burn of Great Falls and Andre F. O'Flaherty of Falls Church; three sons, Denis Fellenz of Miami, Lloyd E. Fellenz Jr. of St. Petersburg, and John A. Fellenz of Houston, and 12 grandchildren.


61, who retired in 1986 as night production manager of The Washington Post and became the owner and publisher of The Republic, a weekly newspaper in Meyersdale, Pa., died Aug. 21 at a hospital in Meyersdale after a heart attack. He lived in Meyersdale.

Mr. Clark went to work at The Post in 1962 as assistant production manager. He became night production manager in 1981 and held that job until he retired last year and moved to Pennsylvania.

A native of Boston, Mr. Clark served in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II. He moved to the Washington area in 1948 and joined the Capital Gazette Press in Annapolis, where he became assistant to the general manager.

Survivors include his wife, Lucinda Clark of Meyersdale; two sons, Harold Clark Jr., who is serving in the Navy in Norfolk, and Guy James Clark of Binghamton, N.Y.; two daughters, Navy Lt. Regina Marie Clark, who is stationed in Rota, Spain, and Dawn Clark of Meyersdale; two brothers, Jay Clark and Donald Clark, both of Riverside, Calif., and seven grandchildren.


66, a retired Army colonel who commanded the 5th Special Forces in Vietnam in 1967 and 1968, died of cancer Aug. 18 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. He lived in Washington.

Col. Ladd was widely respected in the military and in other government agencies and by members of the press for his knowledge and understanding of Southeast Asian affairs. In addition to his command of the Green Beret unit in Vietnam, he was an adviser to the South Vietnamese army in the early 1960s, and he worked for the State Department as a special military counselor at the U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, in the early 1970s.

A native of Toledo, Ohio, he attended the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. He was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Army in 1943. He later graduated from the University of Washington in Seattle and received a master's degree in international relations from George Washington University.

During World War II, he served in the South Pacific. He also saw combat in Korea during the war there. From 1955 to 1957, he was a military adviser in Iran.

From 1957 to 1961, he was a military assistant in the Office of the Secretary of the Army. For the next two years, he was an infantry division adviser to the South Vietnamese army.

He then graduated from the Army War College and was an instructor there before he went on to command the 1st Special Forces in Okinawa from 1966 to 1967. His next assignment was command of the 5th Special Forces. He retired from the Army in 1970.

For the next five years, Col. Ladd was a State Department official. He was assinged to the embassy in Phnom Penh from 1970 to 1972 and then to the department in Washington. He retired for the second time in 1975.

He then became a consultant with the Harris Corp., a computer and business information firm in Alexandria.

His military decorations include the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Distinguished Service Medal, the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star, the Silver Star and the Purple Heart.

Col. Ladd also held the State Department's Superior Honor Award and the Gold Medal of Merit of the Veterans of Foreign War.

Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth Ladd of Washington; one son, Jonathan Ladd Jr. of Silver Spring; one daughter, Elizabeth V. Ladd of Nantucket, Mass., and one brother, James Von Kanel Ladd of New York City.