Msgr. Maurice T. Fox, 54, who for many years headed communications and public relations for the Archdiocese of Washington, died at Providence Hospital Aug. 22 after a heart attack.

Since April, Msgr. Fox had been pastor of St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Washington and for four years prior to that was director of Catholic cemeteries for the archdiocese. But for most of the time since becoming a priest in 1966 his work had to do with various aspects of communicating with the public.

For 20 years he celebrated mass on television for shut-ins and the broadcasts were carried by WRC (Channel 4) and WUSA (Channel 9). In 1970 he helped found Under USA, the national organization of Catholic broadcasters.

In 1979, when Pope John Paul II visited this country, Msgr. Fox was chairman for mass media. He also was director of the communications office for the International Eucharistic Congress in Philadelphia.

In addition, Msgr. Fox was the first priest to serve as secretary to Archbishop James A. Hickey when Hickey was appointed archbishop here in 1980.

"I have lost a good friend and invaluable coworker, and Washington has lost a delightful human being who brought a remarkable sense of joy, humor and personality to all he did," Hickey said in a statement.

Msgr. Fox was born in Santa Monica, Calif., and grew up in New York. He served in the Army for two years in the early 1950s, moved to Washington and graduated from Catholic University. He worked in the travel business for a time and then studied for the priesthood at Our Lady of Angels Seminary in Albany, N.Y. He was ordained by Cardinal Patrick A. O'Boyle, then the archbishop of Washington, on May 7, 1966.

For the next several years Msgr. Fox was an assistant pastor at various parishes in the archdiocese. He later was assigned to St. Matthews Cathedral as a priest in residence.

His first appointment in communications at the archdiocese came in 1969, when he was named director of radio and television. In 1971, he took on the additional duties of director of communications. In 1980, the responsibilites of delegate for communications and vice chancellor were added to his portfolio. Msgr. Fox continued in all of the jobs until 1984, a year after he was named director of cemeteries.

Msgr. Fox was a member of the Priest Personnel Board and the Priest Senate, and he was a former president of the Catholic University alumni association. He was a recipient of the Catholic University president's medal.

Survivors include one sister, Miriam Dwyer of Leesburg, and two brothers, Theodore F. Fox of Los Angeles and David T. Fox of Costa Mesa, Calif.

TIP Y. VAN BRUNT, 86, a Washington area resident since 1960 and a member of the Sulgrave and the Chevy Chase clubs, died of cancer Aug. 22 at her home in Chevy Chase.

Mrs. Van Brunt was born in San Antonio and graduated from Baylor University. She married Rinaldo Van Brunt, an Army officer who retired as a major general, and accompanied him on assignments in Central America, Europe and the South Pacific.

In addition to her husband, of Chevy Chase, survivors include two daughters, Johanna von Walter of McLean, and Rinalda Stevens of Bethlehem, Pa.; six grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.

PAUL EFRAIM PORITZKY, 27, who had owned and operated Mercury Microsystems Inc., a Rockville computer software concern, since 1982, died of cancer Aug. 22 at the National Institutes of Health clinic.

Mr. Poritzky, who lived in Bethesda, was a native of Washington. He was a graduate of Walter Johnson High School in Bethesda and St. Mary's College of Maryland.

He was a member of the D.C. Radio Control Club Inc., a model airplane organization.

Survivors include his parents, Siegbert and Selma Poritzky, and a grandmother, Vivian Cohn, all of Bethesda, and a sister, Ann Poritzky of Silver Spring.

JANE HINDMAN DICKEY, 71, an area resident since 1959 who had done volunteer work for school and church organizations, died Aug. 21 at her home in Garrett Park. She had a heart ailment and emphysema.

She had been a volunteer librarian at Garrett Park Elementary School in the 1960s and also had done volunteer work at the Warner Memorial Presbyterian Church in Kensington where she was a member.

Mrs. Dickey was a native of Worthington, Ohio, and a 1936 graduate of Mary Baldwin College in Staunton, Va.

Survivors include her husband, Robert Alan Dickey of Garrett Park; three sons, Edward Alan Dickey of Washington, William Malcolm Dickey of Greenbelt, and Robert Blake Dickey of Lusby, Md., and three grandchildren.

JURI JELAGIN, 77, an editor and writer with the U.S. Information Agency for more than 20 years, died of cancer Aug. 21 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Chevy Chase.

Mr. Jelagin was born in Russia. He graduated from the State Conservatory of Music in Moscow. He moved to the United States in 1947 and settled in Houston, becoming a concert master with the Houston Symphony. He moved to the Washington area in 1965 and joined the USIA, where he became the editor of "Dialogue," a Russian language publication.

In 1985, he received the USIA's Superior Honor Award. His books include "The Taming of the Arts," published in 1951, and "Dark Genius: The Life of Meyerhold," published in 1955.

His marriages to Vera Jelagin and Geraldine Jelagin ended in divorce.

Survivors include one daughter by his second marriage, Carolyn Willingham of Chevy Chase.

WOODRUFF SCOVEL KELLY, 67, a Northern Virginia real estate appraiser and consultant who had lived in the Washington area since 1964, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 19 at his home in Falls Church.

For the past two years, he had worked for Appraisal Services of America in Tysons Corner.

Mr. Kelly was a native of Pennsylvania and attended Wesleyan University in Middletown, Conn. He served with the Coast Guard and Army in Europe during World War II, and with the Army in Korea during the war there. Before moving here, he had held sales positions in Pennsylvania with Gulf and Cities Service oil companies.

He was a member of the Independent Fee Appraisers and American Legion Post No. 226 in Mayo, Md.

Survivors include his wife, the former Consuelo Minyard, of Falls Church; a son, Robert Dougal Kelly of Antioch, Ill.; two daughters, Cynthia Kerschbaumer of Fox Chapel, Pa., and Diane Natali of Pittsburgh, and eight grandchildren.

CHARLES D. (BUDDY) JOYCE, 66, the retired owner of an automobile body and paint shop in Falls Church, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 12 at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Martinsburg, W.Va. He lived in Arlington.

Mr. Joyce was born in Washington. A graduate of McKinley Technical High School, he attended Benjamin Franklin University. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific.

After the war, he went to work at his father's DeSoto-Plymouth automobile dealership in Arlington as a salesman and manager. In 1960, he opened his own body and paint shop, and retired in 1985.

Mr. Joyce was a Mason and member of the Washington Claimsman Association, and a deacon of Westover Baptist Church in Arlington.

Survivors include his wife, Rachel Joyce of Arlington; two sons, Charles D. Joyce III of Arlington, and Christopher M. Joyce of Fort Union, Va.; one daughter, Lola Hollenbeck of Burke; two sisters, Evelyn Needles of Pittsburgh and Doris Oot of New Hartford, N.Y.; one brother, Franklin Joyce of Arlington, and five grandchildren.

ALICE C. NIEDFELDT, 86, a retired General Accounting Office employe who was a member of the PEO Sisterhood and Faith United Methodist Church in Rockville, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 23 at Suburban Hospital.

Mrs. Niedfeldt, who lived in Potomac, worked for the GAO for 18 years before retiring in 1958 as a transportation specialist. She was born in Manhattan, Kan., and she moved here at an early age.

Her husband, Henry B. Niedfeldt, died in 1967. Survivors include two daughters, Carol M. Murray of Washington and Elinor M. Conversano of Potomac; one sister, Lillian C. Steuart of Chevy Chase; eight grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.

IMOGEN HOSTELER THOMPSON, 82, a social worker with the old D.C. Public Welfare Department's child welfare division for 25 years before retiring in the early 1960s, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 23 at the Hill Haven nursing home in Adelphi.

Mrs. Thompson lived in her native Washington before moving to the nursing home in June.

She was a 1922 graduate of the old Central High School and a 1926 graduate of the Connecticut College for Women. She also earned a degree at the old New York School of Social Work.

Her husband, John W. Thompson, died in 1959. Survivors include one stepson, John W. Thompson Jr., and two stepdaughters, Elizabeth Thompson Swift and Mary Dora Thompson English, all of Bethesda.

BARBARA EDWARDS PERCIVAL, 65, a resident of the Washington area since 1964 who was a member of St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Alexandria, died Aug. 23 at Mount Vernon Hospital after a heart attack. She lived in Alexandria.

Mrs. Percival was a native of Connecticut. She accompanied her husband, LeRoy F. Percival, a Foreign Service officer, to posts in Europe, Asia and Australia. Mr. Percival died in 1977.

Survivors include two sons, Bronson E. Percival of Arlington and Jonathan B. Percival of Stamford, Conn.; two daughters, Sarah E.P. Rae-Scott of London, and Melissa P. zur Loye of Livermore, Calif.; one brother, George Edwards of Bristol, Conn.; one sister, Nancy Sweet of Essex, Conn., and two grandchildren.

BEATRICE ESTELLE TEAR, 82, a retired official of the D.C. public library system, died of cancer Aug. 21 at the Washington Adventist Hospital in Takoma Park.

Miss Tear was born in Chicago. She attended Northwestern University, grauduated from Wellesley College and received a master's degree in library science from Syracuse University.

She moved to the Washington area about 1939 and began her career with the public library system in the early 1940s. For 17 years before she retired in 1966 she was the central librarian at the old D.C. Central Library on Mount Vernon Square.

She was a member of the American Library Association.

Miss Tear lived in Takoma Park until moving to the Colonial Villa nursing home in Silver Spring about four years ago.

She leaves no immediate survivors.

JOHN H. TERRES, 50, a former resident of the Washington area who made a career in the travel industry, died Aug. 21 at the Hennepin County Hospital in Minneapolis after a heart attack.

Mr. Terres, a resident of Minneapolis, was born in Philadelphia and raised in the Washington area. He graduated from Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School in 1954 and from Colgate University in 1958.

He worked for various travel companies in this area until 1970, when he moved to Martinique to work for Club Med. He later moved to Minneapolis, where he worked for Net World Travel at the time of his death.

His marriages to Barbara Terres and Nicola Terres ended in divorce.

Surviors include his parents, Irene T. Terres of Bethesda and Edward A. Terres of Washington, and one brother, Todd Terres of Oxnard, Calif.

VIRGINIA LETHERBURY (GERRY) NOAH, 69, a legal secretary on Capitol Hill for about 25 years before retiring in the mid-1970s from the House Committee on Merchant Marine and Fisheries, died Aug. 23 at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital. She had cancer.

Before joining the Merchant Marine committee in the late 1960s, Mrs. Noah had worked for Rep. Sam Yorty (D-Calif.), Rep. William S. Mailliard (R-Calif.) and Rep. William E. Minshall Jr. (R-Ohio).

She was a volunteer work at the Hospice of Northern Virginia and belonged to several art groups in Northern Virginia.

A resident of Arlington, Mrs. Noah was born in Chester, Pa. She moved here in the early 1950s to join Yorty's staff.

Her marriage to Leo Noah ended in divorce.

Survivors include one sister, Ruth Lichtenberger of Chestertown, Md.