Dr. W. Foster Montgomery, 75, a retired staff physician with the Office of Personnel Management who had practiced surgery in Indianapolis for 25 years, died of pneumonia Aug. 26 at George Washington University Hospital. He lived in Washington.

From 1942 to 1967, Dr. Montgomery had a private practice in surgery in Indianapolis. He moved to the Washington area in 1967 and became a Foreign Service officer with the State Department. From 1967 to 1970, he was a regional medical director and science attache in Bogota, Colombia. He held the same positions in Lagos, Nigeria, from 1970 to 1972.

After returning to Washington, he became the State Department's director of Health Care Programs. He transferred to the OPM in the mid-1970s and was the staff medical officer in charge of disability claims until he retired in 1979.

A native of Plymouth, Ind., Dr. Montgomery graduated from DePauw University and earned his degree in medicine from Indiana University. He had served on the board and was a fellow of the American College of Surgeons, and a member of the Cosmos Club.

Survivors include his wife, Louise Montgomery of Washington; two daughters, Marianne Montgomery of Indianapolis and Marjorie Wilkinson of Mill Valley, Calif.; and one granddaughter.

JUDY A. VANDERPOOL, 44, a past president of the FBI Wives Club and vice president of the Spouses Affiliate of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, died of cancer Aug. 28 at her home in Burke.

Mrs. Vanderpool was born in Fort Myers, Fla. She graduated from the University of Miami and lived in Tallahassee and Dallas before moving to the Washington area in 1976.

She was an X-ray technician for a number of physicians in Northern Virginia, most recently Drs. Peter Bruno and E.F. Barrick in McLean.

She was a member of the Ladies Auxiliary of Commonwealth Hospital and the Holy Spirit Catholic Church in Annandale.

Survivors include her husband, William F. Vanderpool, and two sons, Frank E. and Lee A. Vanderpool, all of Burke; her mother, Martha Edwards of Orlando, Fla.; her father, Frank Wooten of Black, Ala., and three sisters, Carol Collins and Mary Ellen Sullivan, both of Orlando, and Fay Atkinson of Anderson, S.C.

OPAL A. SHELTON, 71, an employe of the Interior Department from the late 1940s until 1977, when she retired as an accountant, died of heart ailments Aug. 27 at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital.

Mrs. Shelton, a resident of Falls Church, was born in Missouri. She moved to the Washington area in the late 1940s.

In 1975, she received a "woman of the year" award from the Interior Department.

Her husband, Bradford Shelton, died in 1973. Survivors include two brothers, Clifford Anderson of Tulsa, and Robert Anderson of Benedict, Md.

ALDONA ZETA (DODIE) MICHAELIS, 79, a former secretary with the old S. Michaelis Plumbing Co. who was active in community organizations in Annapolis, died of sepsis Aug. 25 at the Pleasant Living Convalescent Center in Edgewater, Md.

Mrs. Michaelis, who had lived in Annapolis since about 1946, was born in Buffalo, N.Y. She grew up in the Washington area and graduated from Central High School and the old Gregg Business College.

From 1926 to 1946, she was a secretary with S. Michaelis Plumbing, a family business.

Mrs. Michaelis was a past president of the Ladies of the Elks and a past treasurer of the Knights of Pythias and the Woodland Beach Community Association in Annapolis.

She was a member of the Thunderbird Square Dancers in Annapolis.

Her husband, Siegfried Michaelis, died in 1984. Survivors include one daughter, Aldona Chu Smart of Edgewater; two sons, Siegfried Alan Michaelis of Virginia Beach and Milton Michaelis of Kensington; two brothers, Clarence LaSalle of Charlotte Harbor, Fla., and Joseph LaSalle of Boynton Beach, Fla.; four grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren.

CHRISTINE SPIGNUL COOMBES, 76, a lifelong resident of the Washington area and a volunteer with the Montgomery County chapter of the Heart Association, died Aug. 26 at her home in Bethesda after a heart attack.

Mrs. Coombes was born in Washington and she graduated from Central High School and from George Washington University.

She was a volunteer with the Florence Crittenton Home and a member of All Saints Episcopal Church in Chevy Chase.

Her husband, David Russell Coombes, died in 1979.

Survivors include two sons, David Coombes of Minneapolis and Rame Coombes of Cheyenne, Wyo., and four grandchildren.

RICHARD ALBERT STANKEY, 51, director of the control systems division of the Naval Sea Systems Command, died of cancer Aug. 26 at his home in Millersville, Md.

Mr. Stankey was born in Los Angeles. He graduated from the Illinois Institute of Technology and earned a master's degree in engineering at Catholic University.

He served in the Navy from 1956 to 1958 and later worked in Chicago as a draftsman. He moved to the Washington area in 1966 and began his career with the Navy Department.

Survivors include his wife, Sandra Stankey, two daughters, Jeannette and Andrea Stankey, and one son, Steven Stankey, all of Millersville; and his mother, Clementine Stankey of Chicago.

MARJORIE R. FITZGIBBON, 91, a retired clerk with the Department of the Army's old Office of the Chief of Finance, died Aug. 28 at her home in Washington. She had arteriosclerosis.

Mrs. FitzGibbon was born in Caroline County, Md., where she taught elementary school before moving to the Washington area in 1918. She went to work for the War Department in 1931. She remained with the agency when it was renamed the Army Department in 1947 and retired in 1956.

Her husband, James F. FitzGibbon, died in 1976. Survivors include one son, James R. FitzGibbon of Hyattsville; one daughter, Marjorie M. FitzGibbon of Washington; five grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.

R. REX MARSHALL, 63, a retired chief of the records management section of the Federal Communications Commission, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 22 at his home in Alexandria.

Mr. Marshall was born in Parkersburg, W.Va. He graduated from Ohio University and attended the Federal Executive Institute. During World War II, he was an officer in the Army Air Forces in the Pacific.

In 1949, he went to work for the Royal McBee Corp. in Portland, Ore., where he became district manager of the data processing division. During the early 1960s, he was an administrator with St. Luke's Hospital in Bluefield, W.Va.

Mr. Marshall moved to the Washington area in 1966 and joined the FCC. He retired in 1982.

He had served on the board of the Association of Records Managers. He was a past president of the West Virginia Society and a past president and regional director of the National Conference of State Societies.

Survivors include his wife, Catherine Marshall of Alexandria; three children, Rex and Anne Marshall, both of Alexandria, and Catherine Marshall of Philadelphia; and two brothers, James and Gene Marshall, and one sister, Genevieve Wharton, all of Parkersburg.

WILLIAM L. RICE, 80, a retired director of the transportation management division of the General Services Administration who was active in Baptist organizations, died Aug. 26 at Fairfax Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Rice, who lived in Oakton, was born in Philadelphia and he moved to the Washington area in the early 1920s. He studied at American University and the Washington School for Secretaries.

In the 1920s and the 1930s, he worked for the Interstate Commerce Commission and the Department of Agriculture. In World War II, he worked for the War Food Administration. After the war, he worked for the Atomic Energy Commission until joining the GSA in the early 1950s. He retired in 1965.

Mr. Rice was a member of Capitol Hill Metropolitan Baptist Church. He had served on the executive board of the D.C. Baptist Convention and had twice been president of the D.C. Baptist Brotherhood Council. He was a past board member of the D.C. Baptist Home for Children.

His first wife, Elsie C. Rice, died in 1978.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Lou Pirkle Rice of Oakton; two daughters by his first marriage, Jean Rice Anderson of Oxon Hill and Helen L. Lavelle of Manassas; one brother, Wayne W. Rice of Falls Church, and five grandsons.

FRANK S. ROCHE, 85, a retired chief of the premium recording section of the Equitable Life Insurance Co. who was active in church organizations, died of cancer Aug. 27 at Church Hospital in Baltimore.

Mr. Roche was born in Baltimore. He moved to Washington about 1939 and went to work for Equitable Life. He retired in 1967. He then did public relations work for the Warner E. Pumphrey Funeral Home and later for the Francis J. Collins Funeral Home, both of which are in Silver Spring. He retired a second time in 1985.

Mr. Roche was a founding member of the Catholic Family Life Bureau's Post Cana Group, an organization for widowed persons. He was a member of the St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church in Gaithersburg and a former member of St. Michael's Catholic Church in Silver Spring, where he had been active in the Holy Name Society.

He also was a past vice president of the Maryland chapter of the Toy Fox Terrier Club.

Mr. Roche lived in Gaithersburg until moving to Baltimore in 1985.

His wife, Catherine Carter Roche, died in 1955.

Survivors include one daughter, Kathleen A. Roche of Baltimore; three brothers, John S., Samuel F. and Edwin J., all of Baltimore, and three sisters, Esther Feldmann, Winifred Cain and Patricia Roop, all also of Baltimore.

MYRON ELSWORTH (SAM) HUSTON, 91, a retired research scientist with the Department of the Air Force, died of cardiorespiratory arrest Aug. 25 at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Washington.

Mr. Huston, who lived in Kensington, was born in Galt, Mo. He joined the Navy in 1913 and served in Scotland during World War I. After the war, he was transferred to Washington, where he was discharged in 1922.

For the next 16 years, he operated the old Swan Automotive Service Garage. In 1938, he went to work for the National Archives, where he designed and built special cameras. During World War II, he designed special equipment for the old Office of Strategic Services, the predecessor of the Central Intelligence Agency.

In the late 1940s, Mr. Huston went to work for the Air Force at Langley Air Force Base in Hampton, Va. In 1952, he transferred to the Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Ala. He retired in 1959. He lived in Arizona before returning to the Washington area in 1984.

He was a Mason and a member of the Veterans of World War I.

His first wife, Jessica Rees Huston, died in 1966. His second wife, Myrtle Price Huston, died in 1983.

Survivors include two daughters by his first marriage, Maryalys H. Hopkins of Bethesda and Martha H. Stancill of Kensington, and two sisters, one brother, nine grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.

C. WALTER HOWE, 64, a professor emeritus of political science at Frostburg State University and a former Foreign Service officer and official of the American Council of Education, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 23 at Sacred Heart Hospital in Cumberland, Md.

Dr. Howe, who lived in Frostburg, Md., was born in Hot Springs, Ark. He graduated from Dartmouth College, served in the Army in Europe during World War II, then returned to Dartmouth to earn a master's degree in political science.

From 1946 to 1954, he was a State Department Foreign Service officer. In addition to Washington, his posts included Indonesia, Iran and Luxembourg. For the next seven years, he was a graduate student in political science at Boston University. He specialized in African affairs and earned his doctorate in 1961.

From 1961 to 1968, Dr. Howe worked for the American Council on Education in Washington, doing liaison work on African projects. He then joined the faculty at Frostburg State, where he retired as professor emeritus in 1979.

His marriage to Margaret C. Howe ended in divorce.

Survivors include four children, William E. Howe of Fort Worth, Lucinda C. McKevitt of Vacaville, Calif., Richard M. Howe of South Hadley, Mass., and Bruce M. Howe of La Jolla, Calif.; one sister, Martha (Sally) Cadle of Montgomery Village, and five grandchildren.