Alfred H. Smith, 84, chairman emeritus of the board of Citizens Bancorp and the Citizens Bank of Maryland, died of pulmonary fibrosis Aug. 31 at his home in Upper Marlboro.
Mr. Smith was elected to the board of directors of what became Citizens Bank in 1933 and became its president in 1945. He was president through the late 1970s and retired as board chairman in June 1987.
An autocratic and staunchly conservative banker, Mr. Smith shrewdly built a rural bank with assets of about $250,000 to a $1.7 billion institution with more than 50 branches. The bank, founded as the Citizens Bank of Riverdale, opened in 1928.
Mr. Smith was a native of Riverdale and delivered milk and newspapers there, first with a goat and wagon and later by horseback. In 1925, he founded the A.H. Smith Sand & Gravel Co., building it into one of the largest highway construction and maintenance concerns in the mid-Atlantic region.
He was a past president of the Economic Development Committee for Prince George's County, a past president and member of the board of the National Sand & Gravel Association and a member of the Maryland and D.C. bankers associations.
He raised horses and Aberdeen Angus cattle at his farm, Blythewood Farms, in Upper Marlboro. He was a past president of the Marlboro Hunt Club and had maintained an association with the Patuxent River 4-H Club.
Survivors include his wife, Mary W. Smith, and two sons, Albert H. Smith Jr. and Harry R. Smith, all of Upper Marlboro; one daughter, Marilyn Smith Ketts of Aquasco, Md.; one brother, Harry L. Smith of Upper Marlboro; one sister, Kathleen Smith of Riverdale; nine grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.