Wade H. McCree Jr., 67, a former federal judge and the U.S. solicitor general in the Carter administration, died at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit Aug. 30 after a heart attack. He had been hospitalized since July for treatment of cancer.

Judge McCree was a judge on federal district and appellate courts before being named solicitor general in 1977. In that post, which he held until 1981, he represented the government before the U.S. Supreme Court. Most recently, he was the Lewis M. Simes Professor of Law at the University of Michigan. He was also the first black man to sit as a judge on a Michigan court.

As a judge, Judge McCree was known for his scholarly, carefully prepared opinions; he also had a reputation for being sensitive to the rights of defendants in criminal cases.

"I would define myself as a person who's very much concerned about the importance of preserving individual liberties in a country that continues to grow in size, complexity and interdependence," he said in an interview in 1977. "I am very much concerned to see that the social imperatives of a large country . . . do not encroach any more than they necessarily must on individual rights and freedoms."

Among the notable cases in which he was involved in the course of a 40-year career were the controversial Alan Bakke reverse discrimination case and a tax dispute involving industrialist Howard Hughes' estate.

Maurice Kelman, a Wayne State University law professor and one of Judge McCree's former law clerks, said the U.S. Supreme Court named Judge McCree three times as special master in litigation.

It was in his role as a special master that he helped settle the 1982 dispute between California and Texas over the right to tax Hughes' multibillion-dollar estate. Judge McCree helped the two states reach an out-of-court settlement.

As solicitor general, Judge McCree was involved in a lawsuit filed against the University of California-Davis by Bakke, a white man who claimed his application to medical school was rejected while those of less qualified minority applicants were accepted. The case went to the U.S. Supreme Court. In the end, Bakke was allowed to enroll in the school and the school was able to keep its basic affirmative action policy.

Judge McCree was born in Des Moines. His father was a federal narcotics inspector whose work took the family to Hawaii, Chicago and Boston. The younger McCree graduated from the Boston Latin School and then went to Fisk University, where he graduated summa cum laude. During World War II, he served in the Army in Italy. After the war, he received his law degree from Harvard.

In 1948, he opened a law practice in Detroit. In 1952, Gov. G. Mennen Williams named him to the State Workmen's Compensation Board; two years later, Williams named him a judge of the Wayne County Circuit Court.

In 1961, President John F. Kennedy named Judge McCree a federal district judge. In 1967, President Lyndon B. Johnson promoted him to the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Judge McCree remained on that court until March 1977, when he became solicitor general in the Carter administration.

Judge McCree resigned as solicitor general in 1981 to join the University of Michigan faculty. He also was an adjunct faculty member at Wayne State University and the University of Detroit.

Survivors include his wife, Dores, two daughters and a son.


76, a Washington tax consultant since 1963 and retired Defense Department employe who was active in church groups, died Aug. 28 at George Washington University Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Jackson was a native of Fort Worth and a graduate of the University of Iowa. He moved here in 1941 and joined the War Department. He retired from Defense, where he was a cataloguer, in 1963.

He was a member of St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Washington and was a charter member of the Archdiocesan Pastoral Council.

His wife, the former Leola Shay, died in 1976. Survivors include one daughter, Frances C. Johnson of Washington, and one sister, Katie Lee Branch of Fort Worth.


88, a retired printer at the Government Printing Office who became a salesman at the Wheaton Paint and Hardware Co., died of heart and lung ailments Aug. 21 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Clarke was born in Loretto, Va. He served in the Marine Corps in World War I. He moved to the Washington area in 1928 and went to work at the GPO in 1932. He retired there in 1959 and worked for the hardware store until 1982, when he retired a second time.

Mr. Clarke was a member of the First Baptist Church of Wheaton and Silver Spring Masonic Lodge No. 215.

His wife of 63 years, Grace Clarke, died in 1986.

Survivors include one daughter, Dorothy C. Vechery of Coral Springs, Fla.; two sisters, Ethel Reynolds and Irene C. Moore, both of Baltimore; two grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.