Dick Young, 69, a nationally syndicated sports columnist who was a past president of the Baseball Writers Association of America and a member of the writers' wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame, died Aug. 31 at a hospital in New York City. He had been hospitalized since undergoing intestinal surgery in July.

Mr. Young was a sportswriter, columnist and sports editor for the New York Daily News for 45 years until he moved to its rival, the New York Post, in 1982. The move prompted a $1.5 million breach-of-contract suit by the Daily News, later dismissed by a judge.

When he went into semiretirement from the Post this year, Mr. Young was one of the highest-paid sportswriters in the United States, making more than $150,000 a year. After retiring, he moved to Boulder, Colo., and was supposed to write two columns a week for the Post. The first week he wrote six columns.

Mr. Young was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1978. Earlier this year, he became a recipient of the James J. Walker Award from the Boxing Writers Association of America for long and meritorious service to boxing.

Upon learning of Mr. Young's death, New York Yankees baseball owner George Steinbrenner said, "I have lost an admired friend, but even more, his profession has lost a jewel from its crown."

Mr. Young was born in New York City. He left high school to join the Civilian Conservation Corps during the Depression. Shortly before World War II, he joined the Daily News as a messenger.


77, a retired lawyer who specialized in real estate law in Northern Virginia and who was active in community organizations, died Aug. 30 at the home of a daughter in Northbrook, Ill. He had cancer.

Mr. Billowitz, who lived in Alexandria, had been treasurer of the Fairlington Volunteer Fire Department, a director of Alexandria Hospital and a member of the Beth El Hebrew Congregation in Alexandria. He also was a member of the American, Virginia and Alexandria bar associations.

He was born in New York and received bachelor's and law degrees from Syracuse University. During World War II, he moved to the Washington area and went to work for the Office of Price Administration.

He then was a lawyer for the Virginia Land Title Co. in Arlington. He remained there until the late 1950s, when he joined the law firm of Bendheim, Fagelson, Bragg & Giammittorio. The firm later became Fagelson, Schonberger, Billowitz & Grenadier with offices in Alexandria, and Mr. Billowitz retired from it in 1980.

His wife, Sarah, died in 1972.

Survivors include three children, Edward Billowitz of Richmond, Lorrie Melnicoff of Northbrook and Susan Pevenstein of Vienna; one sister, Natalie Sloven of Rockville Center, N.Y.; one brother, Philip Billowitz of Baltimore, and six grandchildren.


85, a retired legal researcher and former president of the Washington Chapter of the American Jewish Committee, died Sept. 1 at the Carriage Hill nursing home in Bethesda. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Austern was born in Newark, and grew up in Brooklyn, N.Y. She moved to Washington in 1930.

In 1939, she went to work as a research assistant for Felix Frankfurter when he became an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. She worked with him for about four years. Before moving here, she had been a secretary to Frankfurter when he was a professor at Harvard Law School.

In 1943, Mrs. Austern went to work for the Office of Price Administration, a World War II agency. She remained with it until it was dismantled after the war. Until about 1965, she was a free-lance researcher and contributor of quotations to various legal anthologies.

Mrs. Austern was a member of the Washington Hebrew Congregation.

Her husband, H. Thomas Austern, a partner in the Washington law firm of Covington & Burling, died in 1984.

Survivors include one daughter, Helen A. Colson of Chevy Chase; one son, David Thomas Austern of Kensington; one brother, Bernard Austern of Englishtown, N.J., and six grandchildren.


86, a longtime area resident who was active in community and women's organizations, died of respiratory arrest Aug. 21 at the Bethesda Naval Hospital. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Harrison was born in Knoxville, Tenn. She graduated from the University of Tennessee and moved to the Washington area in 1946.

She married Lloyd Harrison, a naval officer who retired as a rear admiral, and she accompanied him on various military assignments. He died in 1984.

Mrs. Harrison was a member of the Society of Sponsors of the U.S. Navy, the Sustainers of the Junior League of Washington, the Chevy Chase Woman's Club and the Army & Navy Club.

Survivors include two sons, retired Navy Cmdr. Lloyd Harrison of Bethesda and Dr. William S. Harrison of Annapolis; one daughter, Polly H. Wilson of Millersville; one sister, Martha Reese of Birmingham; one brother, Benjamin Sanford of Ripley, Miss., and nine grandchildren.


68, a retired branch chief in the procurement section of the Labor Department and a lifelong resident of the Washington area, died Aug. 31 at his home in Hyattsville after a heart attack.

Mr. Zagami, who was born in Washington, graduated from Eastern High School. During World War II, he served in the old Army Air Forces in Europe. He began his career at the Labor Department when he left the Army, and he retired in 1975 with 33 years of federal service.

Survivors include his wife, Teresa Zagami of Hyattsville; five sons, Dante A. Jr., Charles and James Zagami, all of Rockville, Stephen Zagami of Washington, and Thomas Zagami of Hyattsville; one daughter, Kathleen Hurley of New Carrollton; four brothers, Philip Zagami of Colar Manor, Placidino Zagami of Hyattsville, Joseph Zagami of Annapolis, and Adam Zagami of Edgewater, Md.; one sister, Josephine Cammiso of Rockville, and five grandchildren.


50, an Army veteran of the Vietnam War and an employe of the Northern Virginia Community College in Annandale for the past five years, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 29 at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Mr. Jones, who lived in Annandale, was born in Chester, N.Y. He joined the Army in 1956 and served in Vietnam during the 1960s. He also had assignments in Japan and West Germany. He retired in 1982 as a sergeant first class and moved to the Washington area. Since then, he had been an assistant to the director of the Facility and Planning Office at Northern Virginia Community College.

His marriage to Wakako Jones ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Renate Jones, and their son, Jason Jones, both of Annandale, and five children by his first marriage, Teri Lee Jones, Edgar Allen Jones, Mark Andrew Jones, John Paul Jones and Michael Anthony Jones, all of Port Jervis, N.Y.


63, a former resident of the Washington area who had been active in the Republican Party in Prince George's County, died Aug. 25 at a hospital in Manchester, Tenn. She had Hodgkin's disease.

Mrs. Gullett was born in McComb, Miss. She moved to this area in 1948 and remained until 1979, when she moved to Manchester.

She was a member of the University Park and the Upper Marlboro Republican women's clubs. She also had been active in the General Federation of Women's Clubs. In 1978 she ran an unsuccessful campaign for a seat on the Prince George's County Council.

Her marriage to William W. Gullett, who was Prince George's County executive from 1970 to 1974, ended in divorce.

Survivors include twin daughters, Michele and Nicole Gullett, both of Manchester; one son, Christopher Gullett of Culpeper, Va.; her mother, Ophelia Hammons of Manchester, and two grandsons.


64, a retired personnel administrator at the Department of the Army, died of cardiac arrest Aug. 29 at her home in Washington.

Miss Rivers was born in Anahuac, Tex. She moved here in 1938 as a student at Howard University. After her graduation, she went to work at the War Department. She remained with the agency after it became the Department of the Army in 1947 and retired from it in 1985.

She was a member of the Asbury United Methodist Church, the United Methodist Women, the International Toastmistresses Club and the Dillies Social Club.

Survivors include two brothers, Rosales Rivers of Houston and Emmitt Rivers of Seattle, and two sisters, Lillian Jackson of Anahuac and Dotsie Alexander of Los Angeles.


92, who had been a member of the 20th Street Neighborhood Club in Northeast Washington, died Aug. 30 at her home in Washington after a stroke.

Mrs. Denmark moved here from her native Georgia in 1928. She graduated from Armstrong Vocational Night School.

In the 1930s, she was a seamstress working in her home. From 1933 to 1985, she made artificial flowers for Mother's Day and sold them near Eighth and H streets NE.

Her husband, Joshua McKinley Denmark, died in 1962. Survivors include two sons, McKinley, of Washington, and George, of New York City; two daughters, Almareta D. Mullen and Mildred Holloway, both of Washington; seven grandchildren, and 10 great-grandchildren.


72, the owner and operator of Nachman's Bicycle Shop in Falls Church since 1950, died of cancer Sept. 1 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. He lived in Falls Church.

Mr. Nachman was born in Marshall, Va. He moved to the Washington area in 1940 and began his bicycle shop 10 years later.

Survivors include his wife, Sylvia Samuels Nachman of Falls Church; three sons, Richard H. Nachman of Orlando, Fla., Harry E. Nachman of Miami, and Steven M. Nachman of Springfield; one daughter, Arlene Byers of Sedona, Ariz.; one sister, Rose Kanter of Columbia; one brother, Dr. Herman Nachman of Richmond, and nine grandchildren.


67, a retired mechanical engineer with the Naval Ordnance Lab and member of Good Shepherd United Methodist Church in Silver Spring, died Aug. 31 at his home in Silver Spring after a heart attack.

Mr. Hodge, who worked for the Navy from 1946 to 1978, was a native of Washington and a 1938 graduate of Roosevelt High School. He served with the Army Air Forces during World War II.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth T., of Silver Spring; a son, Richard D., of Columbia; a daughter, Linda H. Dyson of Seattle, and three sisters, Alice H. Tabler of Annapolis, Mary H. Wolfe of New York and Catherine H. Caveny of Annapolis.