The Rev. Dr. Fred E.X. Porter, 58, a retired manpower specialist with the D.C. Department of Housing and Community Development and the founder and pastor of Peaceful Bible Baptist Church in Capitol Heights, died of cancer Aug. 29 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Dr. Porter, who lived in Washington, was born in Midland, Ga. He graduated from Howard University and received an honorary doctorate of divinity from Trinity Hall College in Colorado. He moved to the Washington area in 1948. He served in the Army in Korea during the war there.

After the war, he completed his education and in 1960 became a counselor at the D.C. Children's Center in Laurel. He transferred to the D.C. Department of Housing and Community Development in 1968 and retired in 1983.

Dr. Porter was the assistant pastor of the 10th Street Baptist Church in Washington from 1969 to 1971. For the next 12 years, he served as pastor of Antioch Baptist Church in Washington. He founded Peaceful Bible Baptist in 1983 and was its pastor until his death.

He was a member of the Mount Bethel Association and the Baptist Ministers Conference of the District of Columbia and Vicinity.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Smoot Porter of Washington; two sons, Air Force Sgt. Fred E. Porter Jr., who is stationed in San Antonio, and Leon M. Porter of Washington; one daughter, Caroleen E. Porter of Washington; his father, Henry Porter Sr., and one brother, the Rev. Joseph Porter, both of Columbus, Ga.; three sisters, Mayola Walker of Atlanta, Zadie Washington of Columbus, and Elizabeth Scurlock of Chicago, and one grandson.


74, a free-lance writer who covered civil rights in the South and also wrote books about James Earl Ray, who assassinated the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and about the 1st Marine Division in World War II, died Sept. 1 at his home at St. Helena Island, S.C. He had amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.

Mr. McMillan, a native of Knoxville, Tenn., lived in the Washington area in the 1930s and 1940s. He worked for the Office of War Information during the war and then enlisted in the Marine Corps. He was a combat correspondent in the 1st Marine Division in the Pacific, and this experience led to "The Old Breed," a history of the division that he published in 1949.

In the late 1940s, Mr. McMillan moved to Aiken, S.C. He covered civil rights as a free-lancer and contributed to The Washington Post, The New York Times, the Saturday Evening Post, Look and other publications. He was a writer in residence at Atlanta University in the late 1960s and he lived in Cambridge, Mass., in the 1970s. He had resided at St. Helena Island since 1979.

His marriages to the former Virginia Cocalis and Priscilla Johnson ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Cecily Deegan McMillan, and their son, Thomas Hitch McMillan, both of St. Helena Island; one son by his first marriage, Christopher McMillan of New York City, and one granddaughter.


76, who owned and operated an Arlington real estate firm for 40 years before retiring in 1985, died of cancer Sept. 2 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Arlington.

Mr. George was born in Winston-Salem, N.C. He moved to the Washington area in the early 1930s and went to work for the Department of Agriculture. During World War II, he served in the Army. In 1945 he opened Fred J. George Realty. He retired two years ago.

He was a member of the Virginia Board of Realtor's Pioneer Club, the Arlington Optimists Club and the Washington Golf and Country Club.

His wife, Gladys George, died in 1983. Survivors include four brothers, Claude, Conrad, Ray and Robert George, and two sisters, Gladys Lawson and Edith Epperson, all of Winston-Salem.


83, a retired teacher with the Fairfax County public schools and a past president of the Alexandria Antique Arts Association, died of cancer Sept. 2 at the home of her daughter in Adelphi, where she was recovering from surgery.

Mrs. Lawler, who lived in Alexandria, was born in La Crosse, Wis. She graduated from Ohio State University. She moved to the Washington area in 1943. She joined the Fairfax County public school system in the early 1950s, and was assigned to Poe Junior High School in Annandale when she retired in 1965.

She was a member of Westminster Presbyterian Church in Alexandria, where she had taught Sunday School. She also was a past president of the Beverley Hills Women's Club.

Her husband, Thomas Lawler, died in 1957. Survivors include two daughters, Phyllis Williford of Adelphi, and Karen Anderson of Northbrook, Ill.; three sisters, Freda Schulz of Philadelphia, Eleanor Carr of Lafayette, Ind., and Roberta Brunner of Bala-Cynwyd, Pa.; four grandchildren, and one great-grandson.


83, a retired secretary with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, died of arteriosclerosis Sept. 1 at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Chase was born in New York City. She moved to the Washington area in 1927 and went to work for what became the IAMAW. She retired in 1968.

Her husband, Dr. Morris Chase, died in 1986. Survivors include one sister, Louise Bachrach of Silver Spring, and two brothers, Robert Dennison of Washington and Bernard Dennison of West Palm Beach, Fla.