Carter Weldon Clarke, 90, a retired brigadier general who worked much of his 39-year Army career in intelligence before retiring from active duty in 1954, died Sept. 3 at his home in Clearwater, Fla., after a heart attack.

During World War II, his assignments included that of chief of the War Department's security division and deputy chief of military intelligence. He later was commanding general of the Army Security Agency. He ended his career at the CIA, where he was a special assistant to Allen W. Dulles, the director of Central Intelligence.

One of more delicate and important assignments came in 1944 when he served as a confidential courier from Army Chief of Staff George C. Marshall to the Republican presidential candidate, New York Gov. Thomas E. Dewey.

Marshall and Gen. Clarke successfully persuaded Dewey not to make the Pearl Harbor defeat a campaign issue, nor to say anything that would let enemies know of U.S. success in intercepting and reading Japanese codes and ciphers.

Before that, Gen. Clarke had conducted three special investigations of the Pearl Harbor attack for Marshall before the Army-Navy and congressional investigations of the disaster.

From 1950 to 1953, he served as commanding general of the Southwestern Command in Japan. In 1952, he was the victim of an incident in which Korean and Japanese communists in Suita, Japan, threw acid. He was hospitalized for several weeks with face and chest burns.

His decorations included the Distinguished Service Medal and several awards of the Legion of Merit.

Gen. Clarke was a native of Smithland, Ky., and attended the University of Kentucky and the City College of New York. He quit school in 1915 to enlist as a private in the Kentucky National Guard. He served as a cook with that unit during the Mexican Border Campaign.

He remained on active duty and received a commission in the signal corps during World War I. He was a graduate of the Army Signal School at Fort Monmouth, N.J., the Army Command and Staff School at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., and the Army War College.

After retiring from active duty, he spent 10 years as residential and general manager of the Westchester apartments in Washington before retiring a second time in 1964.

Survivors include his wife, the former Jessie Fuller, and a son, retired Army Brig. Gen. Carter W. Clarke Jr., both of Clearwater; two grandchildren, and a great-grandchild.


69, a retired deputy assistant director of the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency and a former State Department Foreign Service officer, died Sept. 4 at his home in Washington after a heart attack.

Mr. Linebaugh, who lived in Washington, was born in Muskogee, Okla. He graduated from Oklahoma University and received a master's degree in international relations at Tufts University.

He moved here and spent five years with the old Budget Bureau before becoming a Foreign Service officer in 1946. From 1947 to 1953, he was stationed in London and worked on problems dealing with the four-power occupation of Berlin. After working three years on State's European affairs desk, he served in Bonn and Karachi, Pakistan.

After recovering from a 1963 automobile accident in Washington, Mr. Linebaugh joined the ACDA and worked with Paul C. Warnke, a former director of the ACDA and President Jimmy Carter's negotiator at the Strategic Arms Limitation Talks. Mr. Linebaugh retired about 1976.

He was a founding member of the Committee for National Security. He had contributed articles on arms control issues to the Christian Science Monitor, the New York Times and The Washington Post.

Survivors include his wife, Ann S. Linebaugh of Washington; three sons, Peter and Andrew Linebaugh, both of Boston, and Nicholas Linebaugh of Washington, and four grandchildren.


76, board chairman of E.U. Services, a Rockville printing and mailing concern, died of cancer Sept. 4 at his home in Rockville. Since 1978, he also had maintained a home in New Smyrna Beach, Fla., as his primary residence.

Mr. Mackey was a native of Kalamazoo, Mich., and attended Colgate University. He joined the Bureau of National Affairs, where he worked in sales, advertising and printing in New York during the mid-1930s, and tranferred to Washington with the agency in 1943.

He worked there until 1949, when he started the old Rockville Times, a weekly newspaper that ceased publication two years later. In 1951, he rejoined BNA where he worked until 1956 when he retired after 17 years with the agency.

He owned and operated Ex-speed-ite Services Inc., a Washington printing firm, for 10 years before selling it in 1966. In 1968, he founded Envelopes Unlimited, which evolved into E.U. Services. He retired from full-time management in 1973.

Mr. Mackey had been a member of the Direct Mail Association of America and the Printing Industry of America, a trade group. He had been a member of the Rockville United Methodist Church and Lakewood Country Club in Rockville.

Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Marjorie, of Rockville and New Smyrna Beach; two sons, David, of Gaithersburg, and Bruce, of Potomac; a brother, Richard, of Columbus, Ohio, and seven grandchildren.


50, a former Washington area restaurant owner and musician who organized the Dirt Ball Band, died Aug. 31 at his home in Rockville after a heart attack.

Mr. Doherty was born in Cincinnati. He grew up in the Washington area and graduated from John Carroll High School. He served in the Air Force from 1959 to 1961. During the 1960s and the 1970s, he owned and operated numerous restaurants, including the Beowulf.

In about 1980, he organized the Dirt Ball Band, in which he played the sousaphone. The band played popular music at local night spots and was known for its comical antics.

Mr. Doherty also had recently become a licensed nursing assistant and had worked briefly at the Bethesda Health Center.

Survivors include his wife, Kathleen Ahearn Doherty of Rockville; four sisters, Mary S. Puglisi of Gaithersburg, Catherine D. Stewart of McLean, G. Patricia Boswell of Silver Spring and Margaret D. Rieger of Rockville; four brothers, William C. Doherty Jr. of McLean, John T. Doherty of Winchester, Va., James F. Doherty of Silver Spring and Joseph P. Doherty of Rockville.


82, a retired teacher with the Montgomery County public schools, died Sept. 2 at the Collingswood Nursing Home in Rockville of kidney failure and complications after surgery for a stomach tumor.

Mr. Croddy, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Paris, Ill. He graduated from Indiana State Teachers College and received a master's degree in education at the University of Maryland.

He moved to the Washington area about 1940 and went to work for the Montgomery County public school system in 1941. He was assigned to Walter Johnson High School in Bethesda when he retired in 1969.

Mr. Croddy had been a member of the National Retired Teachers Association, Christ Lutheran Church in Bethesda, Phi Delta Kappa, the honorary educational society, and the Kenwood Golf and Country Club.

Survivors include his wife, Gladys Burns Croddy of Bethesda, and one son, Arnold J. Croddy Jr. of Chevy Chase.


94, a Washington native and a former member of the women's board of the old Emergency Hospital, died Sept. 4 at Georgetown University Hospital after a stroke. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Fort graduated from the old Western High School and the Dana Hall School in Wellesley, Mass. She married George Hudson Fort, a Naval officer who retired as a vice admiral. She accompanied him on various assignments. Adm. Fort died in 1975.

Mrs. Fort was a past board member of the old Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airmen's Club. She had been a member of the Society of Naval Sponsors, the Army & Navy Club, the Chevy Chase Club and the Sulgrave Club.

Survivors include one daughter, Betty Carter Fort of Washington.