Quinn Martin, 65, who produced some of television's most popular police and action series, including "The Untouchables," "The FBI" and "The Fugitive," died Sept. 5 at his home in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., after a heart attack.

For nearly two decades, he was president and chief executive officer of his wholly owned QM Productions, one of the television industry's major independent production companies. He sold the company in 1979.

The company produced 16 one-hour network series and 20 movies of the week. Among his long-running series were "The Streets of San Francisco," starring Michael Douglas and Karl Malden, "Cannon" with William Conrad and "Barnaby Jones," starring Buddy Ebsen. He also produced "12 O'Clock High," "Quinn Martin's Tales of the Unexpected" and "Most Wanted."

"The Fugitive" was a memorable series about a physician who was wrongly accused and convicted of killing his wife. He spent the series traveling the country, taking on different jobs and identities while looking for his wife's real killer, a one-armed man. The audience watching the final episode of the series in 1967, which saw the one-armed man killed and the Fugitive vindicated, was the largest for any episode in television history up to that time.

His motion picture credits included "House on Greenapple Road," "Attack on Terror," "Brinks: The Great Robbery," "Murder or Mercy" and "Face of Fear."

Mr. Martin was born in New York City and grew up in Los Angeles. He was a 1949 graduate of the University of California at Berkeley. He was an Army veteran of World War II.

His first job as a producer was on "The Jane Wyman Show" for Desilu Productions, where he had been a leading writer. He remained with Desilu to produce "The Desilu Playhouse," a 1959 two-part pilot for "The Untouchables" and the first year of the popular series of the same name.

"The Untouchables" was based on the adventures of "G-Man" Eliot Ness and starred Robert Stack. As a weekly series, it ran four years and won six Emmy awards.

Before he set up QM Productions in 1960, he was a writer, a film editor and the head of postproduction for organizations including Universal Studios from 1950 to 1954. After selling QM Productions to Taft Broadcasting Co. in 1979, he moved to Rancho Santa Fe, and became president of the La Jolla Playhouse.

He maintained a variety of business activities after selling QM Productions, and was president and chief executive officer of QM Communications, which was developing two major motion pictures for Warner Bros. at the time of his death.

Survivors include his wife, three children and his mother.


84, a retired employe of the National Weather Service who was a noted local amateur astronomer, died of kidney failure Sept. 6 at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring.

Mr. Wright joined the old Weather Bureau in his native Iowa in 1935. He moved to this area in 1943. He retired in 1972 from the Weather Service's equipment maintenance standards branch, where he serviced equipment.

He had served as president of the Astronomical League and its National Capital Astronomers chapter. Mr. Wright also was long active in the the Montgomery County outdoor education program. The Bob Wright Observatory in Rockville was named in his honor.

He was a member of the Ashton United Methodist Church in Ashton, Md., the Masons, the Rock Creek Amateur Radio Club, the Quarter Century Wireless Association, and the American Radio Relay League. He also was an amateur genealogist.

His wife, Janet, died in 1980. Survivors include a son, John R., of Silver Spring; a daughter, Susan A. Edwards of Laurel; a sister, Genieve Reed of Jesup, Iowa; five grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.


67, a Maryland land developer who was a former Washington area businessman, certified public accountant, and airline pilot, died of cancer Sept. 5 at his home in Edgewater, Md.

Mr. Crickenberger was born in Weyers Cave, Va., and lived in this area from 1930 to 1976. He was a graduate of Georgetown University and was a Navy pilot during World War II. He retired from the reserves, with the rank of commander, about 1967.

He was an accountant with Peat, Marwick & Mitchell and a pilot and accountant with Allegheny Airlines before joining Barber & Ross, a Washington building supply firm, in 1950. He worked there until 1969, becoming executive vice president.

From 1969 until becoming a full-time land developer in 1980, he was affiliated with Curtis & Johnson Inc., a Washington road-building company, where he had been assistant to the president.

Mr. Crickenberger was a member of Trinity Methodist Church in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife, Jean E., of Edgewater; three sons, William D., of Alexandria, Jon K., of Edgewater, and Lawrence J., of Alexandria; two daughters, M. Jean Wharry of Westminster, Md., and Carol S. Helfrich of Raleigh, N.C.; a sister, Dr. Margaret E. Crickenberger, and his stepmother, Margaret Carrol Crickenberger, both of Treasure Island, Fla., and five grandchildren.


88, a lawyer by training who retired from the Veterans Administration in 1965 as chief of property management, died Sept. 6 at his home in Alexandria after a stroke.

Mr. Reynolds moved to the Washington area in 1933 and worked until 1944 for the Homeowners Loan Corp. He served with the Reconstruction Finance Corp. until joining the VA in 1946.

He was a member of the Queen of Apostles Catholic Church in Alexandria, the National Association of Retired Federal Employees, and the Friends of Fort Ward Park in Alexandria.

Mr. Reynolds was born in Germany to an American father, who was working in Europe as a meteorology consultant, and an English mother. He came to this country in 1915 and lived in New Jersey before moving here. He attended Cornell University and graduated from Columbia University law school. He served with the Army in France during World War I.

His wife, the former Anna Elizabeth Jennings, died in 1984. Survivors include two sons, John Richard Reynolds of Virginia Beach, and George Robert Reynolds of Washington; five daughters, Patricia McGlinchy of Virginia Beach, Elizabeth Ganther of Oshkosh, Wis., Catherine Webb of Columbia, S.C., Mary Granger of Chevy Chase, and Jane Oliver of Alexandria; 25 grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.


77, a retired General Services Administration employe and Army reserves major who also had worked in real estate, died of cardiac arrest Sept. 6 at Malcolm Grow Hospital at Andrews Air Force Base. He lived in Fort Washington, Md.

Mr. Pica, who had lived in this area since 1948, was a native of New Castle, Pa., and a graduate of Catholic University law school. He served on active Army duty in the Mediterranean theater during World War II and retired from the reserves in 1970.

After the war, he joined the Navy Department, where he was a budget analyst. In 1967, he transferred to the GSA, where he became a procurement officer. After retiring from the GSA in 1974, he was a salesman with Coldwell Bankers real estate in Camp Springs until retiring a second time in 1985.

He was a member of the Knights of Columbus.

Survivors include his wife, Irma, and a son, Andrew, both of Fort Washington; two daughters, Carol Pierce of Manassas, and Elizabeth Daly of Clifton, Va.; two brothers, Joseph, of Camp Springs, and Gabe, of Abingdon, Ill.; three sisters, Catherine Salyards of Williamsburg, Agnes Costa of Toms River, N.J., and Mary Williamson of McCook, Neb., and eight grandchildren.


71, a retired Anne Arundel County public school teacher who had lived in Rossmoor Leisure World in Silver Spring for the past two years, died of cancer Sept. 4 at Holy Cross Hospital.

She began her career in the Anne Arundel schools in 1960. She taught in Severna Park High School and Severna Park Junior High, and spent eight years at Severn River Middle School before retiring in 1981.

Mrs. Miller was a native of Binghamton, N.Y., and a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Cornell University. She taught high school in Blacksburg, Va., and was a teacher in Florida, before moving to Annapolis in 1960. She lived in Ocean City, Md., for four years before moving to Silver Spring.

She had been active in several bridge clubs at Rossmoor, and was president of the Friday Night Bridge Club there.

Survivors include her husband, William H., of Silver Spring; two sons, James and Stephen, both of Baltimore; her father, Richard Salsbery of Syracuse, N.Y.; a sister, Shirley Corey of Rochester, N.Y.; two grandchildren, and a great-grandchild.


49, an area resident since 1955 who lived in Rockville and who was a native of Clearfield, Pa., died of cancer Sept. 6 at her summer home in Fenwick Island, Del.

Mrs. Trimble held secretarial posts for about two years after graduating in 1956 from Wakefield High School. She was a 1961 honors graduate of American University.

She was a member of St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Rockville, the American Association of University Women, the Smithsonian Institution Associates and the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

Survivors include her husband, James L., and a son, James S., both of Rockville; four daughters, Carolyn G. Trimble of Laurel, and Alexis J., Leeanna R. and Jacqueline S. Trimble, all of Rockville; her mother, Rozella G. Narehood, and a brother, Sidney G. Narehood, both of Clearfield, and a sister, Joanne N. Rushbrook of Gaithersburg.

JEWEL T. SMOAK, 64, an area resident since 1967 who was a member of Broadview Baptist Church in Temple Hills, died of cancer Sept. 5 at Fairfax Hospital. She lived in Temple Hills.

Mrs. Smoak was born in Jennings, Fla., and grew up in Tampa, Fla. She accompanied her husband, Robert A. Smoak, who is now a retired Air Force colonel, to posts in Japan and West Germany. She had done volunteer work for the USO and had been active in officers wives clubs at Bolling and Andrews Air Force bases.

In addition to her husband of 40 years, of Temple Hills, her survivors include two daughters, Brenda Smoak of Arlington, and Cynthia Griffin of Marlton, Md.; two brothers, Leonard and T.G. Tyre, both of Tampa; a sister, Pearl T. Hodgson of Atlanta, and two grandchildren.