Lawrence B. Battley, 71, a retired Army Reserve colonel who was a budget officer with the Defense Supply Agency and a general services manager for Amtrak, died of cancer Sept. 6 at Arlington Hospital.

Col. Battley, who lived in Arlington, was born in Washington. He graduated from McKinley Technical High School and American University, where he also earned a master's degree in business administration.

During World War II, he served in the Army Transportation Corps in the Pacific. He was in the Army Reserve from 1950 until he retired in 1970.

During the early 1950s, Col. Battley was a finance management analyst with the Office of the Secretary of Defense. He later was president of Abasco Inc., an aluminum smelting firm in Dallas.

He returned to Washington in 1962 and worked for the Defense Supply Agency at Cameron Station in Alexandria. He retired in 1972. For the next five years, he was employed by Amtrak, where he became manager of general services.

Col. Battley was president of Trains and Travel Ltd., a family-owned firm that owned and leased railroad equipment and toy trains. He also taught transportation at the University of the District of Columbia.

He was a past treasurer of the Train Collectors Association and the Washington chapter of the American Logistics Association. He was vice president-elect of the Washington Traffic Club and a past president of the Washington chapter of Delta Nu Alpha, the transportation fraternity.

Col. Battley also was a member of the National Railroad Historical Society and had served on the board of the National Association of Railroad Passengers. He was a member of St. Agnes Catholic Church in Arlington.

Survivors include his wife, Avis Battley of Arlington; two daughters, Tacey Battley of Arlington and Wade Battley of New York City, and one son, Devin Battley of Annandale.


87, a retired Navy rear admiral who commanded destroyers during World War II and the Korean war, died of a heart ailment Aug. 28 at a hospital in Walnut Creek, Calif.

Adm. Mendenhall served 43 years in the Navy before his retirement in 1962. For two years before his retirement, he had been Navy deputy to the chief of staff to the commander of the U.S. European Command in Paris. From 1958 to 1960, he was commandant of the Potomac River Naval Command.

After retirement, he lived in Arlington until 1981 when he moved to Walnut Creek.

A native of Waco, Tex., Adm. Mendenhall graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1923. During the 1920s, he served aboard the battleship Maryland, then studied ordnance engineering at the Naval Postgraduate School. He served in the Asiatic Fleet before World War II.

During the war, he was captain of a destroyer squadron assigned to protect Allied convoys in the North Atlantic. Postwar assignments included sea duty in the Atlantic and the Pacific where he was commanding officer of a cruiser. From 1949 to 1952, he was the Navy deputy assigned to an Armed Forces special weapons project at the Pentagon.

During the last year of the Korean war, Adm. Mendenhall was commander of a destroyer flotilla in the seas near the Korean peninsula. Later he served on the United Nations Military Armistice Commission in Korea.

From 1954 to 1956, he was assistant chief of naval operations for fleet development and maintenance and chairman of the ship characteristics board. He was commander of the Atlantic Fleet's operational development force from 1956 to 1958.

His first wife, Henrietta Graham Pennock Mendenhall, died about 1940.

Survivors include his wife of 43 years, Sally Russell Mendenhall of Walnut Creek; one daughter by his first marriage, Margaret Mendenhall Frazier of Danville, Calif., and one grandson.


78, a fifth generation Washingtonian and a former office assistant with the Hecht Co. department store, died Aug. 27 at a retirement home in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., after a heart attack.

Mrs. Balberg, who moved from Washington to Florida in 1977, graduated from the old Business High School. She worked for the Hecht Co. from about 1949 to 1958. During the early 1960s, she worked for the clerk's office of the U.S. District Court. She later worked briefly at Georgetown University.

She was a member of the Catholic Church of the Nativity in Washington.

Her marriage to Thomas F. McKeever ended in divorce.

Her second husband, Irving Balberg, died in 1985.

Survivors include one daughter by her first marriage, Mrs. Harry Hoberman of Randolph, N.J.; one sister, Mrs. Charles E. Coulon of Falls Church, and three grandchildren.


59, a lawyer who practiced in Bethesda, died of cancer Sept. 7 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Rafferty, a resident of Bethesda, was born in Washington, where he attended the old Devitt preparatory school. He was a graduate of the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service and the Georgetown law school.

He was a former law clerk to U.S. District Judge Edward M. Curran and a former assistant U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia. Since the late 1950s, Mr. Rafferty had practiced law in Washington and Bethesda, and most recently was associated with Michael F.X. Dolan in a Bethesda practice.

His marriage to the former Patricia Igoe ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Judith Collins Rafferty of Bethesda; five children by his first marriage, Mary Ann Wilson of Phoenix, William and John Rafferty of Bethesda, James Rafferty of St. Louis, and Gregory Rafferty, a Coast Guardsman who is stationed in Michigan; his mother, Margaret Rafferty Hill of Chevy Chase; one sister, Jeanne R. Bride of Germantown; three brothers, Joseph Rafferty of Potomac and Robert and Richard Rafferty of Rockville, and three grandchildren.


74, a retired air-conditioning and heating equipment operating engineer with Sibley Memorial Hospital and a former supervisor with the D.C. Department of Environmental Services, died of cardiac arrest Sept. 7 at Holy Cross Hospital. He lived in Wheaton.

Mr. Hynson was born in Foneswood, Va. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe. In 1945 he went to work for the federal government as an operating engineer. He was at the National Institutes of Health for three years before joining the D.C. Department of Environmental Services in 1956. During the next 18 years, he supervised the operation of several of the District's sewage pumping stations. He joined the staff at Sibley in 1974 and retired in 1979.

Mr. Hynson was a Mason and a member of North Chevy Chase Christian Church.

Survivors include his wife, Mary R. Hynson of Wheaton; one son, James Hynson of South Gardiner, Maine; two sisters, Myrtle Balderson of Foneswood and Augusta Butler of Upper Marlboro, and two grandchildren.


95, a retired taxi fleet operator and founder and president of a finance company, died of pneumonia Sept. 7 at Doctors' Hospital of Prince George's County in Lanham.

Mr. Love, a resident of Hyattsville, was born in Richmond County on the Northern Neck of Virginia. He grew up there and in Baltimore.

In 1912, he moved to Washington. As a young man he was a wholesale deliverer for various dairies in the area.

About 1930, Mr. Love went into the taxi business and at one time had a fleet of 30 cabs operating as part of the Diamond Cab Co. About 1955, he helped found the Potomac Finance Co. in Washington. He was president of that firm and head of his taxi business until 1967, when he retired.

Mr. Love was a member of St. Jerome's Catholic Church in Hyattsville.

His wife, Gracie Love, died in 1973. Survivors include one son, Richard H. Love of College Park; five grandchildren, and eight great-grandchildren.


60, a retired vice president of the Maloney Concrete Co. in Chevy Chase, died of cancer Sept. 8 at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Potomac.

Mr. Viner was born in Washington. He graduated from Eastern High School and Catholic University. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific.

In 1951, he became an estimator and engineer with the Anchor Block Co., a masonry contracting firm. In the early 1960s, he went to work for Maloney Concrete, and in 1972 he was promoted to vice president. He retired earlier this year.

Mr. Viner was a member of the technical committee of the Ready Mixed Concrete Producers, the National Capital Chapter of the American Concrete Institute, the Family Motor Coach Association and Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church in Potomac.

Survivors include his wife, Gertrude Viner of Potomac; two daughters, Mary Enzler of Philadelphia and Sharon Viner of Potomac; seven sons, Louis Viner of Bethesda, David Viner of Lisle, Ill., Dennis Viner of Los Angeles, Andrew Viner of Durham, N.C., John Viner of Silver Spring, and James and Timothy Viner, both of Potomac; one brother, Robert Viner of Rockville, and seven grandchildren.