Clara Mae Johnson, 83, a founder with her husband of H.D. Johnson Inc., a plumbing and heating company in Washington, died of cancer Sept. 11 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Johnson was born in McLean. She was raised in Washington and lived in the city for the rest of her life.

In 1934, she and her husband, Harold D. Johnson Sr., founded the company that bears his name. Mrs. Johnson was a bookkeeper at the firm until she retired earlier this year.

She was a member of Our Lady of Victory Catholic Church, and she had been active in the Lions Club with her husband.

Her marriage to William Hart ended in divorce.

In addition to her husband, of Washington, survivors include their two sons, Harold D. Johnson Jr. of Washington and John M. Johnson of Indian Head; one adopted son, Eric E. Johnson of Washington; two daughters by her first marriage, Mary E. Arrington of Washington and Doris Rudden of Olney; one brother, Warren A. Reid of Oxon Hill; two sisters, Evelyn Hook of Glen Echo and Florence Reid of Avalon Shores, Md.; 18 grand- children, and eight great-grandchildren.


90, a longtime area resident who had been active in the Presbyterian Church of Pilgrims in Washington, died Sept. 9 at the Presbyterian Home in Washington where she had lived since 1978. She had a heart ailment.

Mrs. Harrison, who moved here in 1925, was a native of Allendale, S.C. She was a graduate of Columbia College in South Carolina. She taught school in her native state during World War I and worked for the Treasury Department here during World War II. She lived in Florida from 1961 to 1978.

She was a member of the Huguenot Society and the Women's Club of Chevy Chase.

Her husband, Judge Lloyd B. Harrison, who had sat on a South Carolina municipal bench and retired from the D.C. Public Utilities Commission, died in 1980. Her survivors include a son, Dr. Lloyd Jr., of Wilmington, Del.; a daughter, Isabel H. Coll-Pardo of Miami; eight grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.


88, a retired automobile worker who lived in Washington from 1972 until he returned to Detroit earlier this year, died of respiratory failure Sept. 8 at the Hutzel Hospital in Detroit.

Mr. Chandler was born in Salters, S.C. He lived and worked in Detroit before moving here.

Survivors include one sister, Luvina Chandler Mitchell of Washington, and one brother, Wilmot Chandler of Newtonville, N.J.


70, a resident of the Washington area since 1978, died of emphysema and cardiac arrest Sept. 11 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mrs. Takacs was born in Moundsville, W.Va., and she lived there until she moved to Hyattsville in 1978. For the last four years she had lived at the Sylvan Manor Nursing Home in Silver Spring.

Her husband, Steve B. Takacs, died in 1976.

There are no immediate survivors.


76, who worked for the Treasury Department 32 years before retiring in 1976 as a personnel clerk, died Sept. 12 at a nursing home in Margate, Fla. She had Alzheimer's disease.

Mrs. Vestraci, who lived in this area from 1940 to 1976, was a native of Watertown, N.Y., and a resident of Coconut Creek, Fla.

Survivors include her husband, Henry, of Coconut Creek; two stepdaughters, Jeanette Bibb of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Joy Lee King of Dublin; a brother, Robert Flora of Saratoga, Calif.; three sisters, Virginia Vona Flora and Geraldine Gallo, both of Silver Spring, and Gloria Carrubba of Baldwin, N.Y., and two stepgrandchildren.