Stuffed-animal mobiles implicated in the death of a 15-month-old baby are being recalled, the Consumer Product Safety Commission reported yesterday.

The commission said some windmill rattles imported from Italy also are being recalled because of potential choking danger.

The animal mobiles are being recalled by Calderon Co. of Locust Valley, N.Y., the commission said. The animals are attached to a 26-inch nylon cord that can be strung across a crib, raising the potential for a baby to become entangled, the agency said.

It reported that a Pennsylvania boy died in such an incident last year. In that case, a label warning that the toy was not recommended for children under age 3 had been removed, the commission said.

Consumers were advised to remove the mobiles from use by children and remove and cut the nylon cord and springs attached to the animals. The detached cord and springs should be sent to Calderon Co., 480 Forest Ave., Locust Valley, N.Y., 11560. The company will replace the mobiles with a plush toy, the commission said.

No injuries have been reported in the case of the windmill rattles, the commission said, but it sought the recall because of the potential for children to choke on them.

The rattles have four balls attached to a hub that spins on a shaft. The rattle hub is labeled Made in Italy and an attached suction cup is labeled Chicco.

Parents should return the rattles to the store where purchased for a refund, the commission said.

Additional information is available from the commission at (800) 638-2772.