Dr. James M. Moss, 69, a physician in Alexandria, a clinical professor at Georgetown University medical school and a former president of the Virginia Diabetes Association and the Medical Society of Virginia, died of cancer Sept. 16 at his home in Alexandria.

Dr. Moss established his medical practice in 1949, and he retired for reasons of health in 1986. He was on the staffs of Circle Terrace, Alexandria, Georgetown University and National Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation hospitals.

A specialist in diabetes, he wrote more than 100 papers about the disease and received the Pfizer Award of the American Diabetes Association for his contributions to its treatment.

He also received the Seale Harris Award of the Southern Medical Association for his work in endocrinology and metabolism, the Gold Medal of the American Podiatry Associaton and a special recognition award from the American Society of Internal Medicine.

Dr. Moss was a past president of the Alexandria Medical Society, the Virginia Society of Internal Medicine and the Medical Alumni Association of the University of Virginia. He was a past governor for Virginia of the American College of Physicians and a past councilor for Virginia of the Southern Medical Association. He was a master of the American College of Physicians and a fellow of the American College of Cardiology.

A native of Bradley, Ga., Dr. Moss was raised in Arlington. He graduated from Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School and earned his bachelor's and medical degrees at the University of Virginia. During World War II, he served in the Army Medical Corps in North Africa and Italy.

Survivors include his wife, Rachel Bybee Moss of Alexandria; three sons, James Marion Moss of Arnold, Md., Dr. William W. Moss of Bradenton, Fla., and Dr. Robert E. Moss of Venice, Fla.; his mother, Rosa M. Moss, and his stepmother, Catherine S. Moss, both of Alexandria; two sisters, Dr. Claudine Gay-Bryant of Washington and Fredericka Moss Flynt of Augusta, Ga., and six grandchildren.

ERNEST HUMPHREY DANIEL JR., 79, a retired president of the old Meadow Gold Products dairy company and a former Army colonel and World War II veteran, died of pneumonia Sept. 16 at the Potomac Valley Nursing Home in Rockville. He lived in Washington.

Col. Daniel was born in Washington. He graduated from the old Western High School and the Virginia Military Institute, where in 1929 he was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Army Reserves.

He was called to active duty during World War II. He served in the War Plans Division of the old War Department in Washington and had assignments in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

Col. Daniel joined what became Meadow Gold in 1931. After the war, he returned to the company and was named president. He retired in 1958. During the 1960s, he owned and operated Dixeco Inc., a real estate and construction firm. He retired for the second time in 1969.

His military honors include the Legion of Merit and the Bronze Star.

Col. Daniel had served on the boards of the Southern Association of Ice Cream Manufacturers and the International Association of Ice Cream Manufacturers. He had been a member of the Metropolitan Washington Board of Trade.

He was a past president of the Calvary Chapter of the Reserve Officers Association and was a member of the Military Order of World Wars.

Survivors include his wife, Helen Beattie Daniel of Washington; one son, Ernest H. Daniel III of Silver Spring; one daughter, Candy Daniel Howard of Gaithersburg; one sister, Eleanor Daniel Cook Knox of White Stone, Va., and four grandchildren.

ROBERT O.L. LYNN JR., 56, chief of external tank programs in the systems engineering and analysis division of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, died of cancer Sept. 16 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mr. Lynn, a resident of Rockville, was born in Selma, Ala. He graduated from the University of Illinois. He served in the Air Force from 1949 to 1953 and remained in the Reserves until 1980, when he retired as a colonel.

In 1954, Mr. Lynn went to work for the Monsanto Chemical Co. in Springfield, Mass. He later worked for General Electric in Pittsfield, Mass. In 1980, he joined NASA in Huntsville, Ala., and he transferred to Washington in 1985.

Survivors include his wife, June Lynn of Rockville; two children, Karen Lynn of Washington and Robert Lynn of Cambridge, Mass., and two sisters, Natalie Lawson of Washington and Rosalind McIntyre of Baltimore.

ISAAC DREWEY SINGLETON, 72, who had run the barber shop in the University Club in Washington since 1964, died at Providence Hospital Sept. 15 after a heart attack.

Mr. Singleton was born in Weldon, N.C. He had lived in Washington since moving here in 1935 and beginning his career as a barber.

Until the late 1950s, he worked at Ewell's Barber Shop on 14th Street in downtown Washington. For about six years before he went to work at the University Club, he had his own shop on I Street in downtown Washington.

Mr. Singleton's survivors include his wife, Jessie Singleton of Washington; one daughter, Mary Singleton Ginyard of Hyattsville; two brothers, William Singleton of Silver Spring and Paul Singleton of Washington; three grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

MURRAY T. DONOHO III, 60, a retired president of Strayer College Inc. in Washington and the Strayer Business College in Baltimore, died of cancer Sept. 4 at the Good Samaritan Center Hospice in Zanesville, Ohio.

Mr. Donoho succeeded his father, Murray T. Donoho II, as head of the colleges when his father died in 1963. He retired in 1980. The schools were founded by his grandfather, Thomas Winfield Donoho, in 1892.

Mr. Donoho was a past president of the Maryland-D.C. Area Association of Business Schools and Colleges and a director of the United Business School Association.

In retirement, he was a judge at automobile shows of the Rolls-Royce Owners Club.

A resident of Owings Mills, Md., he was born in Baltimore. He served in the Navy in World War II and graduated from the University of Virginia. He was a banker in the Baltimore area before heading the Strayer schools.

Survivors include one brother, Dr. Robert Smith Donoho of Zanesville.

WILLIAM L. (BILL) COOPER JR., 26, a data center specialist with Computer Sciences Corp. in Lanham, died Sept. 15 in a traffic accident on Rte. 50 in Prince George's County.

Maryland state police said Mr. Cooper's auto was struck by another car that crossed the median about one mile east of Enterprise Road. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Mr. Cooper, a resident of Bowie, was born in Anniston, Ala. He moved to this area in 1972. He graduated from Bowie High School where he was cadet commander of the Bowie Civil Air Patrol, and he received the Gen. Billy Mitchell Award for Distinguished Service.

He attended the University of Alabama where he was a student disc jockey.

For the last two years, Mr. Cooper had worked for Computer Sciences Corp.

He participated in the Amateur Bowling Tournament in the Washington area, played golf, painted and played the guitar.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Nona Bailey-Cooper of Laurel; his parents, William L. and Rae Cooper of Bowie; one sister, Maria E. Parker of Bowie, and one grandmother, Mildred R. Cooper of Clinton.

MABLE ESHLEMAN, 105, a longtime Washington resident and a member of the Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church, died of pneumonia Sept. 16 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Eshleman was born in Lancaster, Pa., and moved to Washington in 1929.

Her husband, William Garfield Eshleman, died in 1945, and a daughter, Sabina Eshleman, died in 1940.

There are no immediate survivors.

HELEN SLENTZ MILTON, 79, an operations analyst with Operations Research Inc., a government contracting firm in Arlington, died of cancer Sept. 14 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She lived in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Milton was born in Clare, Mich. She graduated from the University of Oklahoma, where she also received a master's degree in economics.

She moved to the Washington area about 1934. She worked for the Agriculture Department from 1934 to 1939 and was employed by the Treasury Department during the 1940s. She was an economist with the Department of Commerce before joining what became ORI in 1953. She retired about 1972.

She was a member of the D.C. League of Women Voters.

Her husband, George Fort Milton, died in 1955. Survivors include one brother, Floyd Slentz of Walnut Creek, Calif.

SHIRLEY K. HARVEY, 44, an owner of the Happy Bakers Catering Service in Bethesda, died of cancer Sept. 8 at the Naval Hospital in Bethesda. She lived in McLean.

Mrs. Harvey was born at Fort Monroe, Va. She grew up in the Washington area and graduated from Wilson High School and the University of Maryland. She lived in Beaufort, S.C., and operated a cookware store before moving back to the Washington area in 1983. She had operated Happy Bakers since 1984.

She was a member of the Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church in Washington and had been a Cub Scout den mother.

Survivors include her husband, Marine Corps Lt. Col. Ralph Harvey, and three children, Jason, Jeremy and Suzanne Harvey, all of McLean; her mother, Lillian Denchfield of Washington, and five brothers, Robert Denchfield of Frederick, Md., Raymond and Richard Denchfield, both of Bethesda, Randy Denchfield of Chevy Chase, and Roger Denchfield of Gaithersburg.

AURELIUS M. (FRED) FEDERIGHI, 77, a retired publications supply officer with the Federal Aviation Administration and a longtime employe of the Government Printing Office, died of a stroke Sept. 12 at Holy Cross Hospital. He lived in College Park.

Mr. Federighi was born in Washington. He went to work for the GPO in 1927. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific.

After the war, he returned to the GPO and became chief of the mail list section of the superintendent of documents division. He transferred to the FAA in 1963 and retired in 1965.

He later worked for Broadcast Electronics and then Navigation Systems, both in Silver Spring. He retired for the second time in 1977.

Survivors include his wife, Peggy Federighi of College Park; two daughters, Stana Federighi-Kinkaid of Arlington and Meg Crimmins of Laurel, and one sister, Theresa Slifko of Hyattsville.

HARRY HOLT, 72, a founder of the Southern Pit Barbecue in Alexandria, died of an embolism Sept. 15 at Prince William Hospital in Manassas.

Mr. Holt was born in Georgia. He moved to the Washington area about 1940, served in the Army in Europe in World War II, and then founded the Dixie Pit Barbecue in Alexandria.

In the early 1950s, he sold his interest in that business and started the Southern Pit Barbecue. In 1960, he retired for reasons of health and settled in Manassas.

He was a Mason.

His wife, the former Minnie M. Harderster, died in 1986.

Survivors include a brother, Carl Holt of Colonial Heights, Va., and two sisters, Ruby M. Owens of Springfield and Thelma Davis of Otto, N.C.