Eugene M. Sporn, 62, a retired associate director for laboratory investigations with the Food and Drug Administration who had also been a specialist in biochemical research with the Army Department, died of a stroke Sept. 18 at George Washington University Hospital.

Dr. Sporn, who lived in Bethesda, was born in New York City. He graduated from the City College of New York. He received a master's degree in biochemistry from the University of Wisconsin and a doctorate in biochemistry from Georgetown University.

He moved to the Washington area in 1947 and went to work for the Army Department, where he became chief of special projects in the life sciences division of the Army Research Office.

Dr. Sporn transferred to the FDA in 1974 and retired in 1982. Since then he had been regional director of the Stanley H. Kaplan Educational Centers in Bethesda.

He received the FDA's commendable service award in 1979.

Dr. Sporn was a member of the American College of Toxicology, the American Chemical Society, and Sigma Xi, the scientific honor society. He also was a member of Beth El Congregation in Bethesda, where he had been vice president and financial secretary.

Survivors include his wife of 39 years, Rosalie M. Sporn of Bethesda; one daughter, Leslie Sporn-Symonds of Baltimore; two sons, Dr. Daniel P. Sporn of Endicott, N.Y., and Jeffrey L. Sporn of Bethesda; two sisters, Carolyn Schwalb of Baltimore and Elsie Grupsmith of New York City; one brother, Oscar Sporn of New York City, and one granddaughter.


81, a retired teacher with the D.C. public schools, died Sept. 17 at Montgomery General Hospital in Olney after a heart attack. She lived in Olney.

Mrs. German was born in Reedville, Va. She attended Anderson College in Indiana. She moved to the Washington area in 1922. From 1927 to 1932, she was an ordained minister of the Church of God in Big Stone Gap, Va.

Later in the 1930s, she was a social worker with the D.C. government. She joined the D.C. public school system in 1945 and was assigned to Lafayette Elementary School when she retired in 1973.

Mrs. German was a member of Montgomery Hills Baptist Church in Silver Spring and had been vice president of the D.C. Baptist Women's Missionary Society.

Her husband, the Rev. Dr. Menter P. German Sr., died in 1979. Survivors include three sons, Menter German Jr. of Olney, Daniel Germany of Durham, N.C., and David German of Raleigh, N.C.; one daughter, Muriel Folsom of Olney; three sisters, Muriel Hyland of Los Angeles, Virginia Sill of Arlington, and Premelia DeCorse of Monkton, Md.; two brothers, Herbert Evans of Silver Spring and Edward Evans of Hollywood, Fla.; eight grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.


79, a Washington area resident since 1968 who had been active in community organizations, died of renal failure Sept. 16 at the Prince George's Hospital Center. She lived in Beltsville.

Mrs. Williams was born in Milwaukee. She married George C. Williams, an Army officer who retired as a lieutenant colonel, and she accompanied him on various military assignments. After his death in 1968, she moved to the Washington area.

She was a past regent of the D.C. Circle of the Daughters of Isabella, a Catholic women's organization. She had served on the steering committee which organized the meals-on-wheels program at Providence Hospital.

Mrs. Williams also was a member of the Ladies of Charity, the Retired Seniors Volunteer Program (RSVP), and St. John Baptist De La Salle Catholic Church in Hyattsville.

Survivors include one daughter, Margaret Kurz of Beltsville; two sisters, Bea Thiel of Shawano, Wis. and Grace Pickel of Sun City, Ariz.; one brother, William Koelpin of Oconomowoc, Wis., and two grandsons.


52, a district manager with the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co., where he had worked for 30 years, died Sept. 18 at his home in Kensington after a heart attack.

Mr. Porter was born in Charleston, W.Va., and graduated from Marshall University in West Virginia. He served in the Army from 1957 to 1959 and in the same year joined C&P in Baltimore. He transferred to the Washington area in 1985 and remained with the firm until his death.

Survivors include his wife, Marguerite Porter of Kensington; two daughters, Sarah and Susan Porter, both of Baltimore, and his parents, Angus C. and Luella F. Porter, both of Chevy Chase.