Dr. John A. Washington, 83, a retired Washington physician who had a private practice in pediatrics for 32 years, died of pneumonia Sept. 22 at the Washington Hospital Center. He lived in Charles Town, W.Va.

Dr. Washington was a past president of the medical staff of the Children's Hospital National Medical Center. He was a senior advisory staff member of Children's Hospital and the Washington Hospital Center.

A native of Charles Town, he graduated from the Virginia Military Institute and the University of Virginia and he earned a degree in medicine at Johns Hopkins University in 1930.

For the next seven years, he was on the staff of the Johns Hopkins University Medical School. He taught pediatrics at Cornell University before moving to the Washington area in 1940 and starting a private medical practice. He retired in 1972 and moved to West Virginia.

In the 1950s and 1960s, he was a clinical professor of pediatrics at George Washington University and he held the rank of professor emeritus at the time of his death.

He was a former state chairman of the D.C. chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret H. Washington of Charles Town, and a son, Walter Washington of Shepherdstown, W.Va.


63, a retired executive secretary of the Central Intelligence Agency, died of cancer Sept. 23 at his home in Middleburg, Va.

Mr. Evans was born in Crawfordsville, Ind. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y. He served 11 years in the Army, including duty in Japan and Korea during the Korean War, and he also received a master's degree in public administration at Columbia University.

After leaving the Army as a captain, he moved to the Washington area in the late 1950s and joined the CIA. He retired from the agency in 1981 after having served 12 years as executive secretary.

He received the CIA's Distinguished Intelligence Medal.

At the time of his death, Mr. Evans had homes in Washington, Clearwater, Fla., and Middleburg.

Survivors include his wife, Jan King Evans of Washington, Clearwater and Middleburg; two daughters, Louise Evans of Washington, Clearwater and Middleburg, and Karla Griswold of Middleburg, and one brother, Daniel F. Evans of Indianapolis.


101, a retired preschool program director with the D.C. Department of Recreation, died of congestive heart failure Sept. 12 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Ellis was born in Washington. She graduated from M Street High School, the predecessor of Dunbar High School.

She went to work for the D.C. Department of Recreation in the early 1930s. She was in charge of preschool programs at Francis Junior High School, and at Garfield and Birney elementary schools. She retired in 1950.

Mrs. Ellis was a member of St. John Christian Methodist Episcopal Church in Washington, where she had been a member of the Missionary Society and the Blue Ribbon Club. She also was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and the Golden Circle.

Her husband, John H. Ellis, died in 1942.

Survivors include one daughter, Ruth B. Duckett of Washington; one brother, Raymond Brumbry, and three sisters, Essie B. Black, Verneta E. Vass, and Etta B. Strong, all of Washington; two grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.


75, a sales engineer with Standard Acoustics Inc., an acoustical materials firm, and a lieutenant commander in the Navy Reserves, died of cancer Sept. 13 at his home in Rockville.

Mr. Sinclair was born in Jersey City, N.J. He graduated from the Stevens Institute of Technology in New Jersey.

He moved to the Washington area in 1940 and served in the Navy as a procurement and contract officer during World War II. He retired from the reserves in 1953 as a lieutenant commander.

Mr. Sinclair was a civilian mechanical engineer with the Bureau of Naval Ordnance during the late 1940s. He went to work in 1952 for the old E.W. Bliss Co., manufacturer of aircraft landing equipment. He was employed by Standard Acoustics from 1965 until his death.

He was a member of the Metropolitan Subcontractors Association, the American Society of Metals, and the Belle Haven and Congressional country clubs. He also was a member of Holy Cross Catholic Church in Garrett Park.

His first wife, Elizabeth Moynihan Sinclair, died in 1970.

Survivors include his wife, Gertrude Kohlhaas Sinclair of Rockville; a stepson, James V. Kohlhaas of Annapolis; two stepdaughters, Anne Elizabeth Cummings of Atlanta and Susan M. Allen of Laguna Niguel, Calif.; a brother, James Sinclair of Seattle, and four grandchildren.


58, a retired geologist who worked 18 years in the natural resources department of the Organization of American States before retiring in 1982, died Sept. 19 at Fairfax Hospital. He had myelofibrosis.

Mr. Blesch was born in Cleveland and graduated from Ohio State University. He received a master's degree in business administration from George Washington University. During the Korean War he served in the Army.

He moved to the Washington area in 1954 and worked in an aerial mapping and topographic section of Aero Services Corp. From 1960 to 1964 he lived and worked in New York, then returned to this area to join OAS.

A former resident of Arlington, Mr. Blesch moved to St. Petersburg, Fla., in 1984. He had returned to this area for medical treatment.

Survivors include his wife, June W. Blesch of St. Petersburg; one son, David A. Blesch, and one daughter, Barbara Clarke, both of Alexandria, and one brother, George Blesch of Cupertino, Calif.


68, who was a Red Cross volunteer during World War II and later a volunteer at Arlington Hospital and Alexandria Hospital, died of cancer Sept. 22 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mrs. Kalassay, a resident of Alexandria, was born in Ashland, Wis. She graduated from the nursing school of the Micahel Reese Hospital in Chicago with a degree as a registered nurse. She moved to the Washington area in 1941.

She accompanied her husband, Karl W. Kalassay, a State Department Foreign Service officer, on assignments to Athens, Cairo, Vienna, Bonn and Frankfurt-am-Main.

The Kalassays also maintained a residence in Fenwick Island, Del., and Mrs. Kalassay was a member of the Fenwick Island Women's Club and the Fenwick Island Yacht Club.

In addition to her husband, of Alexandria and Fenwick Island, survivors include three children, David J. Kalassay of Warrenton, Victoria K. Williams of Falls Church and Mary-Margaret K. Pfaff of Columbia, S.C., and five grandchildren.


67, a budget analyst with the Army Corps of Engineers, where he had worked for more than 30 years, died Sept. 19 at Fairfax Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Vienna.

Mr. Eiden, a native of Scranton, Pa., served in the army in Europe in World War II and moved to the Washington area in 1945. He graduated from Benjamin Franklin University. He went to work for the Bureau of the Census when he came here and he joined the Corps of Engineers about 1950.

He was a past president of the Vienna Babe Ruth League, a youth baseball organization, and he was a member of Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Church in Vienna.

Survivors include his wife, Dolores Eiden of Vienna; one daughter, Mary Elizabeth Fedele of Gaithersburg; three sons, Leo J. Eiden of Fairfax, Craig J. Eiden of Oakton, and John J. Eiden of Vienna; three brothers, Francis Eiden of Wallington, N.J., Paul Eiden of Taylor, Mich., and Edmond Eiden of Alexandria; one sister, Martha Patrick of Scranton, and three grandchildren.


57, an owner and vice president of Rosslyn Auto Body Co. in Falls Church, died Sept. 21 at the Manor Care Nursing Home in Arlington. Death was attributed to a brain virus resulting from leukemia.

Mr. Frank, who lived in Annandale, was born in Washington. He graduated from Washington-Lee High School in Arlington and attended the University of Virginia. He also had served in the Naval Reserve.

About 1955, he joined Rosslyn Auto Body, a family-owned business where he worked until his death.

Mr. Frank was a member of Columbia Masonic Lodge No. 285, the Kena Temple Shrine and the Kena Clowns.

His marriage to the former Connie King ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 28 years, Adeline A. Frank of Annandale; one daughter by his first marriage, Leslie Frank of Alexandria; two daughters by his second marriage, Carol A. May of Fairfax and Barbara J. Frank of Annandale, and his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Charles D. Frank of Falls Church.