82, the wife of John Walker, a former director of the National Gallery of Art in Washington, died of heart ailments Sept. 23 at King Edward VII Hospital, Midhurst, Sussex, England.

Lady Margaret lived in Washington from 1939, when her husband became chief curator at the National Gallery, until 1970, a year after he retired as director. Since then, the Walkers lived at Easter Barton, near Amberley Arundel, Sussex.

Lady Margaret assisted her husband in the social side of his work as gallery director. She also was a notable bridge player.

She was born at Everingham, Yorkshire, England. Her father, the Earl of Perth, was the first secretary general of the League of Nations and later the British ambassador in Rome. It was while serving as his hostess that Lady Margaret met Walker, who at that time was in charge of the fine arts department at the American Academy in Rome.

In addition to her husband, survivors include one daughter, Gillian Maysles of New York City; two sisters, Lady Gillian Anderson of East Grinsted, Sussex, and Lady Maryel de Wickfeld of London; one brother, David, the Earl of Perth, of Stobhall, near Perth, Scotland, and three grandchildren.

A son, John Anthony Walker, died in 1986.


60, a Washington lawyer who was a retired Army brigadier general, a former U.S. Court of Appeals judge and a one-time aide to Sen. Strom Thurmond (R-S.C.), died Sept. 24 at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, N.C. He had cancer.

At the time of his death, Gen. Sneeden was senior shareholder in the Washington office of the McNair Law Firm, which is based in Columbia, S.C. From 1984 until 1986, when he resigned, he was a judge on the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Gen. Sneeden served in the Army in the Pacific during World War II and from 1953 until 1975, when he retired as chief judge of the Army and chief of the Army's legal services agency. From 1975 until 1978, he was Republican counsel to the Senate Judiciary Committee, of which Thurmond is the ranking GOP member.

In 1978, Gen. Sneeden became associate dean at the University of South Carolina law school.

He returned to Washington in 1979 and rejoined the Senate Judiciary Committee. From 1981 until 1984, he practiced law in the Washington office of the McNair firm. He lived in Columbia and commuted to Washington for the work week.

A native of Wilmington, N.C., Gen. Sneeden was a graduate of Wake Forest University and the Wake Forest law school. He joined the Army upon receiving his law degree in 1953.

Most of his military career was spent in the Judge Advocate General's Corps, and, in addition to Washington, he served in Japan and Vietnam. His military decorations included two Legions of Merit and and the Meritorious Service Medal.

Survivors include his wife, Margie Carden Sneeden, one daughter, Sharon Sneeden Clapper, and one son, David Michael Sneeden, all of Columbia; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. S.V. Sneeden of Wilmington, and two grandchildren.


74, a retired chief of photography with the Central Intelligence Agency, died of cancer Sept. 24 at the Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital. He lived in Annandale.

Mr. Kiblinger was born in Altoona, Kan. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces in Europe. He went to work for the CIA when it was formed in 1947 and retired in 1972.

He was a Mason and a past president of the Citizens Association of Broyhill Crest in Annandale. He was a member of the Elks Club and the First Presbyterian Church of Annandale, where he had been an elder and a deacon.

Survivors include his wife, Vergie Kiblinger of Annandale; a daughter, Linda Kiblinger Henry of Columbia, Md., and a brother, Herbert Kiblinger of Neodesha, Kan.