Ruth Wilson Tryon, 95, a retired editor of the Journal of the American Association of University Women who was active in church and community organizations, died of a heart ailment Sept. 24 at the Washington House retirement home in Alexandria.

Mrs. Tryon joined the AAUW in 1927 and became editor of the Journal a year later. She also helped organize and became a director of the AAUW Fellowship Fund, which was set up to provide graduate fellowships for women. She retired in 1957 and worked in later years as a free-lance writer and editor.

She was the founding president of the Community for Social Progress, an organization devoted to interracial and interfaith harmony in Northern Virginia during the early 1950s. She also was a member of Arlingtonians for a Better County and was a founder of the Culpeper Gardens Retirement Home in Arlington.

Mrs. Tryon was a founder of Arlington Unitarian Church and had served on the board of the Unitarian Universalist Church in the United States.

Mrs. Tryon was a native of Stillwater, Minn. She graduated from the University of Minnesota, where she also received a master's degree in English. She taught briefly in the Minnesota public schools before moving to the Washington area in about 1920. She served on the women's committee of the Council of National Defense before joining AAUW.

Her books included "Investment in Creative Scholarship," a history of AAWU and its fellowship efforts on behalf of women, and "Names Remembered Through AAUW Fellowships."

Her husband, Frederick G. Tryon, died in 1940. Survivors include two sons, Dr. John G. Tryon of Boulder City, Nev., and Dr. Joseph L. Tryon of Arlington; one brother, Henry Wilson of Urbana, Ill.; five grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.


60, a retired manager with the Army Safety Staff in Washington and a former Merchant Marine officer who held an unlimited master's license, died of heart and kidney ailments Sept. 25 at Doctors' Hospital of Prince George's County in Lanham. He had undergone gall bladder surgery.

Mr. Coakley, a resident of Bowie, was born in Somerville, Mass. He enlisted in the Navy in World War II and served in the Pacific. After the war, he became a sailor in the Military Sea Transport Service and remained there from 1947 to 1958.

In 1958, Mr. Coakley left the government and he and his wife opened Club 93, a restaurant on Staten Island, N.Y. They ran it for 10 years.

In the meantime, Mr. Coakley returned to sea. In 1966 and 1967, he served on a cargo ship carrying munitions to Vietnam.

Over the years, he advanced in rank in the Merchant Marine and in 1968 he received his unlimited master's license. He also received a degree in business administration from Pacific Western University.

In 1969, he became a safety official at the Brooklyn (N.Y.) Navy Yard. In 1971, he transferred to the Army Safety Staff in Washington, and in 1983 he retired. He later worked for a boat charter service and a sail-making company in Annapolis.

Mr. Coakley was a member of the American Society of Safety Engineers, the American Legion, the Knights of Columbus and the Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Bowie.

His wife, Eileen Coakley, died in 1984.

Survivors include two children, Kathleen T. Coakley and John P. Coakley, both of Bowie; his mother, Bridie T. Coakley of Dorchester, Mass.; two sisters, Marian Sullivan of Murfreesboro, Tenn., and Doris Schumacher of Dorchester, and two brothers, John L., of Cambridge, Mass., and Gerald P., of Weymouth Landing, Mass.


73, a retired employe of First Virginia Bank, where she worked for 30 years, died of cancer Sept. 24 at the home of her daughter in Accokeek, Md.

Mrs. Thompson, who moved from Springfield to Accokeek four months ago, was born in Washington. She graduated from Mary Washington College in Fredericksburg.

About 1955, she went to work for Old Dominion Bank, which later became First Virginia Bank. She was an assistant in the foreign returns section before retiring in 1985.

Mrs. Thompson was a member of the American Business Women's Association and the North Springfield Garden Club.

Her first husband, Mendon Foye, died in 1953. Her second husband, Horace L. Thompson, died in 1968.

Survivors include two daughters by her first marriage, Jean Kingham Mona of Accokeek and Martha Grubb of Tuckerton, N.J., and five grandchildren.


67, a longtime Washington area resident and a former secretary with the Voice of America, died of cancer Sept. 24 at Bethesda Naval Hospital. She lived in Lusby, Md.

Mrs. Freeland was born in Hamden, N.Y., and graduated from Syracuse Business College in New York. She moved to the Washington area in the 1940s and worked for the Agriculture and the old War departments.

In 1946 she joined the State Department, where she worked as a code clerk at the U.S. Consulate in Munich. She was a secretary on the staff of the director of the Voice of America before resigning in 1949.

She married Robert L. Freeland, an Army officer who retired as a colonel, and accompanied him to ovseas postings.

Mrs. Freeland was a member of the Middleham Episcopal Chapel in Lusby and was a past secretary and treasurer of the Lioness Club of Calvert County.

In addition to her husband, of Lusby, survivors include one brother, Elmer E. Wood of McDonough, N.Y.


75, a retired assistant director of the Federal Aviation Administration who was a longtime Washington area resident before moving to Hendersonville, N.C., where he had lived since 1980, died in a hospital there Sept. 25 after a stroke.

Mr. Schuler was born in Woonsocket, S.D., and graduated from Southeastern University. In 1931, he moved here and worked for the Interior Department's Bureau of Indian Affairs as a budget officer.

During the 1940s, he worked in Chicago with the old Civil Aeronautics Board. After returning to Washington, he worked for the Agriculture and the State departments during the 1950s. He joined the FAA in 1960 and retired in 1972.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Ford Schuler, and one daughter, Janet Etter, both of Hendersonville; one sister, Xina Felder of Arlington; one brother, Raymond Schuler of Grass Valley, Calif., and three grandchildren.


39, a Northern Virginia lawyer since 1973 who was financial secretary of Congregation Olam Tikvah in Fairfax, died of cancer Sept. 26 at his home in McLean.

Mr. Greenfeld was a native of Springfield, Mass. He was a graduate of Colby College and received his law degree from Georgetown University in 1973. Since that time, he had a private law practice in Northern Virginia. At the time of his death, he was of counsel to the firm of Gold & Stanley in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife, Carolyn C., and a son, Jeremy, both of McLean; his parents, Albert and Eileen Greenfeld, both of Longmeadow, Mass., and a sister, Suzanne G. Rosenberg of Cincinnati.


71, a real estate sales agent with Begg Inc. in Washington since 1973 who was a retired Elizabeth Arden salon manager, was found dead Sept. 24 at her home in Chevy Chase after a heart attack.

Mrs. Mack was born in Pennsylvania and grew up in New York City. She moved here and joined Elizabeth Arden in 1954. Between 1964 and the early 1970s, she managed salons in Florida, Pennsylvania and California before returning here. She retired from Elizabeth Arden about 1972.

Her marriage to Gordon Mack ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Pamela C. Mack of Burke, Va., and a grandchild.