William Arthur Wieland, 79, a retired Foreign Service officer with the State Department, where he worked for 37 years, died Sept. 23 at his home in Hollywood, Md. He had cancer.

Mr. Wieland joined the State Department in 1941 and served for the next five years as special assistant to Adolph A. Berle, the U.S. ambassador to Brazil.

He later had assignments in Colombia, El Salvador, Brazil and Equador. During the early 1960s, he was assigned in Washington to the Bureau of InterAmerican Affairs, where he was director of the Office of Middle American Affairs and, later director of the Office of Caribbean Affairs.

Mr. Wieland was assigned to the American Embassy in Australia in 1964. He retired as consul general in Melbourne in 1968 and moved to Hollywood.

A native of New York City, Mr. Wieland attended Villanova University. He served in the Army during 1927 and 1928. He was a news correspondent and editor in Cuba and New York City before moving to the Washington area.

He was a member of the Rotary Club and St. John's Catholic Church in Hollywood.

Survivors include his wife, Annemarie, of Hollywood; two daughters, Lee Dorothy McLane of Easton, Md., and Arthura Kathleen Eisele of College Station, Pa.; one sister, Dorothy Thorne of Phoenix, and four granddaughters.


81, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel who became a construction inspector with Rogers Memorial Hospital, died of emphysema Sept. 24 at his summer home in Atlantic City, N.J.

Col. Errickson, a resident of Clinton, was born in Jenkintown, Pa. He attended Harvard University. He served in the Army Air Forces during World War II. After the war, he operated a wood products company in Atlantic City.

He was recalled to active duty in the Air Force and served in Korea and Japan during the Korean War. He later had assignments on the teams that oversaw the construction of the Distant Early Warning System across Canada and Alaska, and the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System in England, Greenland and Alaska.

In 1962, Col. Errickson was transferred to Washington. He was a civil engineer with the Air Force Systems Command at Andrews Air Force Base before retiring in 1968. For the next four years, he was a construction inspector with Rogers Memorial Hospital.

He was a member of the Retired Officers Association, the Surrattsville Civic Association in Clinton and the Professional Engineers Club.

Survivors include his wife, the former Madeleine Kammerman of Clinton; two sons, Robert K. Errickson of West Chester, Pa., and David C. Errickson of Miami; one daughter, Barbara S. Errickson of Atlantic City, and eight grandchildren.


63, a self-employed home remodeler who had been semiretired for the past year, died of a heart attack Sept. 24 at his home in Bethesda.

Mr. Winder was born in Yardley, Pa. He served in an Army medical unit during World War II. He moved to the Washington area around 1950.

He was in the home remodeling business for most of his working life and did most of his work in the Bethesda area. He also had done volunteer remodeling work at Catoctin Quaker Camp in Thurmont, Md.

Mr. Winder was a past commander and quartermaster of the Veterans of Foreign Wars post in Great Falls, Md.

Survivors include his wife, Jean E. Winder of Bethesda; one son, James M. Winder of Damascus, Md.; four daughters, Alice W. Smith of Bishop, Calif., Rachel L. Winder of Bethesda, Rebecca M. Winder of Tulsa, and Anne E. Talkes, an Army private first class stationed in Germany, and one brother, three sisters, and one granddaughter.


64, a retired general service manager with the Temple Motor Co., a Buick automobile dealership in Alexandria, died of a heart ailment Sept. 23 at the Doctors' Hospital of Prince George's County. He lived in Greenbelt.

Mr. Meisner was born in New York City. During World War II, he served in the Army. He worked for several automobile dealerships in New York before moving to the Washington area in 1967 and joining Temple, where he received 11 consecutive outstanding sales awards. He retired for health reasons in 1979.

He was a Mason and a volunteer with the Red Cross and the Prince George's County Department of Aging.

Survivors include his wife, Bernice, of Greenbelt; three daughters, Ronnie O'Branovich of Lanham, Tammi O'Branovich of Fayetteville, N.C., and Ellen Tidmore of Crofton, Md., and five grandchildren.


75, a retired vice president of technical operations for CBS Radio, died Sept. 22 at the Fernwood House retirement home in Bethesda. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Vorhes, who lived in Bethesda and St. Croix in the Virgin Islands, was born in Seneca, Kan. He studied radio at a school in New Orleans and then went to New York. He joined the fledgling Columbia Broadcasting System in 1933 as a technician. In the late 1930s, his duties included providing the sound effects for the popular "Gang Busters" crime program.

Mr. Vorhes became chief engineer for CBS Radio and in the late 1950s was named vice president for technical operations. Among other things, he supervised the installation of CBS Radio facilities at national political conventions and assisted in such projects as the establishment of the National Emergency Broadcast System.

After his retirement from CBS in 1968, he became a consultant to the Voice of America.

Mr. Vorhes lived in Great Neck, N.Y., before moving to this area in 1980.

Survivors include his wife, Judith, of St. Croix; one son, John B., of Bethesda, and two grandchildren.