A 16-year-old slaying suspect who escaped in June from the Oak Hill Youth Center was captured yesterday by D.C. police officers who stormed a Northeast apartment after a three-hour stand-off, police said.

The youth was slightly injured after officers dragged him out of the apartment because he refused to cooperate, police said. He was found in a closet under a pile of clothes, they said.

He was one of four youths, including another slaying suspect, who scaled the fences and fled the escape-plagued, high-security detention facility in Laurel on June 2, police said. The other slaying suspect is the last to remain at large.

The juvenile arrested yesterday has been accused of gunning down a taxicab driver during an attempted robbery on June 30, 1986, police said.

Police with the Youth Services Division received a tip yesterday that the youth was in an apartment at 2425 14th St. NE, police said. With the help of officers from the 5th District, police went to the address and reportedly saw a juvenile who matched the escapee's description.

The youth disappeared into Apartment 2, said Capt. William White III, a police spokesman, "and became uncooperative."

The Emergency Response Team sealed off the red-brick apartment building about 2:30 p.m. after evacuating a small group of neighbors. After nearly three hours of trying to get the youth to surrender, police with bulletproof vests and small semiautomatic weapons stormed the apartment.

No shots were fired, and the youth was unarmed, White said. He said that even after his capture the youth proved uncooperative and police had to drag him out of the apartment.

The youth was treated at the scene by an ambulance crew for a minor head injury, police said.

White said a pregnant woman also was found inside the apartment. She told police she was the youth's cousin. Police were still interviewing her last night.

The arrested youth was accused of slaying Gerald Steven Murphy, a 22-year-old Riverdale taxicab driver, police said. Murphy was shot in the chest during an apparent robbery in front of 622 Condon Ter. SE, police said.

The youth, 15 years old at the time, was arrested the same day and was charged with felony murder.

The escapes in June were part of a rash that has plagued the facility.

Oak Hill officials have reported 110 escapes from the facility since the beginning of the year.

Thirty percent of the juvenile inmates were reported missing in August, many of them after failing to return from family visits that were authorized by Oak Hill. Staff writer Douglas Stevenson contributed to this report.