Carl E. Winkler, 70, a retired Army colonel and a former legal adviser and staff judge advocate with the Army Security Command, died Sept. 30 at Arlington Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Arlington.

Col. Winkler was born in Edgewood, Iowa. He graduated from the University of Iowa, where he also earned a law degree. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific.

He remained in the service after the war and entered the Army Judge Advocate General's Corps in 1948. He was a trial counsel and a post judge advocate in Europe from 1949 to 1952 and served in the Pacific during the Korean War.

Col. Winkler held several other legal assistance positions before he was transferred to the Washington area in 1958 to become chief of legal assistance in the Office of the Judge Advocate General. In that job, he helped update the Army's legal assistance program, which provides legal services to Army servicemen and their dependents.

He later served as staff judge advocate for the Military District of Washington and was legal adviser and staff judge advocate for the Army Security Command when he retired in 1975.

Col. Winkler was a member of American Bar Association, where he was active in the Family Law Section. He also was a fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and had been of counsel to the Arlington law firm of Whitaker & Bushman.

He was a founder of the Proverbs for Research Foundation and was interested in federal and state legislation involving the handicapped.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret G. Winkler of Arlington; three daughters, Deborah J. Winkler of Arlington, Irene D. Cook of San Diego. and Margaret W. Katholi of Springfield, Ill.; his mother, Stella Winkler of Cedar Rapids, Iowa; a sister, Irene O'Connor of Cedar Rapids, and two grandchildren. PHILIP G. BERNARD, 57, the founder and chairman of B-K Dynamics, a Rockville-based technical consulting and research and development firm, died Sept. 27 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital of complications following heart bypass surgery.

Mr. Bernard and a partner founded B-K Dynamics in 1963, and he had been president and chief executive officer of the company since then. He was a specialist in electronics systems, strategic missile systems and underwater acoustics.

A resident of Gaithersburg, Mr. Bernard was born in New Haven, Conn., and served in the Navy in the late 1940s. He graduated from the University of Nebraska.

In 1959 Mr. Bernard moved to the Washington area, and he was research director here for Booz-Allen Research Inc. and a systems engineer for Westinghouse before he formed B-K Dynamics.

He was an outdoorsman and a scuba diving, bow-and-arrow hunting and fishing enthusiast.

Survivors include his wife, Astrid Bernard of Gaithersburg; his mother, Giovanna Bernard of New Haven; four brothers and two sisters.

THE REV. TURIBIUS MULCAHY, 92, a retired Air Force lieutenant colonel and chaplain and a member of the Missionary Servants of the Most Holy Trinity, an order of Catholic priests, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 1 at the Carroll Manor Nursing Home.

Father Mulcahy was born in the Bronx, N.Y. He graduated from the Stevens Institute of Technology in New Jersey and earned a law degree from Fordham University. He graduated from St. Joseph's Seminary in New York and received a bachelor's degree in theology from Catholic University.

He served in the Army Signal Corps on the Mexican border during World War I. He entered the order of the Missionary Servants of the Most Holy Trinity in 1931 and moved to the Washington area in 1932.

Father Mulcahy was vicar general of the order during the 1930s and served as master of novices at the order's seminary in Alabama from 1939 to 1942.

During World War II, he served in the Army as a chaplain in the Pacific. He transferred to the Air Force when it was formed in 1947. He had assignments throughout the United States, the Pacific and in Bermuda before retiring with the rank of lieutenant colonel in 1956.

Father Mulcahy then returned to his religious order and was assigned to the Holy Trinity Mission Seminary in Silver Spring. He was director of the second novitiate in Rome from 1964 to 1966 and retired in 1976.

He leaves no immediate survivors.

GEORGE CARLISLE WILMETH JR., 59, a Washington native and former accountant with the Holiday Inn in Leesburg, died of cancer Oct. 1 at his home in Honolulu.

Mr. Wilmeth attended the old Woodward School in Arlington. He served in the Army in the late 1940s and worked for the old Post Office Department in Arlington during the 1950s.

He was an office manager at Foxcroft School in Middleburg during the 1960s and later worked for the Wright Construction Co. in Leesburg. He was employed by the Leesburg Holiday Inn for four years before moving to Maine in 1975. He had lived in Hawaii since 1978.

Survivors include his wife, Sylvia Wilmeth, and two daughters, Paige and Brooke Wilmeth, all of Honolulu; his stepfather, Vandiver R. Locke of Falls Church, and a half-brother, Daniel C. Locke of Haymarket, Va.

JAMES YORK WOOD, 63, a retired federal government lawyer who had most recently worked for the Consumer Products Safety Commission, died of heart ailments Sept. 27 at his home in Gaithersburg.

Mr. Wood was born in Princeton, Ind., and he graduated from Indiana University where he also received a law degree.

He served in the Army in Europe during World War II, and he served in Korea during the war there.

Before moving to the Washington area in 1963 he practiced law in Evansville, Ind.

Mr. Wood worked at the Federal Trade Commission from 1963 until the early 1970s when he transferred to the Federal Reserve Board. He joined the Consumer Products Safety Commission in the mid-1970s and remained there until he retired in 1986.

His marriage to Roberta P. Wood ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Douglas P. Wood of Orange, Calif., and Emily J. Wood of Durham, N.H.

SUSAN LOCKE de NAGY, 30, a project officer with the Environmental Protection Agency in Washington, was killed Sept. 20 when her Air North charter flight from White Horse in Yukon Territory to Juneau crashed in a mountainous area near Haines, Alaska.

A spokesman for the Alaska State Police said the plane was off course and apparently was descending through a bank of clouds when it struck the mountain range. Miss de Nagy and her fiance, John Catlin, 32, of Anchorage, were among five persons who died in the crash, police said.

Miss de Nagy was born in Huntington Station, N.Y. She graduated from Randolph-Macon College in Virginia and earned a master's degree in environmental systems management from American University.

She moved to the Washington area in 1982 and worked briefly as a teaching assistant at American University. She later worked on the congressional staff as a technical researcher with the Office of Technology Assessment.

Since 1983, she had been a project officer with the Industrial Technology Division of EPA's Office of Water.

Miss de Nagy was a member of the Air Pollution Control Association, the American Chemical Society, the Association of Women in Science, and Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society.

Survivors include her mother, Florence de Nagy of Federalsburg, Md.; two sisters, Tracy Lea of Easton, Md. and Michelle Krieger of Federalsburg; three brothers, John de Nagy of Norfolk, Scott de Nagy of Federalsburg, and George de Nagy of Top Sham, Vt., and her grandmother, Florence Harris of St. Petersburg, Fla.