Robert T. Meyer, 76, retired professor of Celtic and comparative philology at Catholic University and a scholar of early writers of the Christian Church, died Oct. 3 at a hospital in Swansea, Wales, apparently of encephalitis.

He had been touring Wales following a conference at Oxford University on the early Christian Church era.

Dr. Meyer was on the faculty at Catholic University from 1947 until he retired in 1976, and he held the Order of Hibernians Chair in Celtic Studies. He had translated early Christian writings, including St. Athanasius' "The Life of St. Anthony," and Palladius' "Lausiac History" and "Life of St. John Chrysostom."

In retirement, he had continued to teach at Catholic University, and he was also studying Georgian, the native language of Soviet Georgia. He had taught courses in early Welsh and Cornish.

A resident of Washington and Harper's Ferry, W.Va., Dr. Meyer was born in Cleveland and graduated from John Carroll University, in Ohio, where he also earned a master's degree in classical languages and philology. He earned a doctorate at the University of Michigan in classics and Indo-European linguistics. Before joining the faculty at Catholic University, he taught at St. Louis University for a year.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Emma Deex Meyer of Washington and Harper's Ferry; two daughters, Carolyn Meyer Johnson of Washington, and Virginia M. Abbott of Berkeley, Calif.; two sons, Frederick J. Meyer of McLean, and Dr. Andrew P. Meyer of Shepherdstown, W.Va., and three grandchildren.


75, a retired Navy master chief petty officer who later became engineering manager for the National Academy of Sciences in Washington, died of respiratory arrest Oct. 4 at a nursing home in Memphis.

Mr. Powell was born in Birmingham and attended Georgia Institute of Technology. He served 24 years in the Navy before he retired in 1953. His World War II duty included assignments in the Pacific. He served in Japan after the war. Other posts included San Diego, Australia, Norfolk and several sea assignments. He was an electrician for most of his Navy career.

He was a resident of Falls Church from 1956 until he moved to Memphis in 1984.

Mr. Powell worked during the 1960s as operations manager for Cafritz Co. in Washington where his duties involved property management. From 1970 to 1975, he was engineering manager for the National Academy of Sciences, where he was responsible for the care and maintenance of buildings.

His wife, Nell Cheledinas Powell, died in 1965. Survivors include three daughters, Judy Powell of Memphis, Patricia Kessler of Silver Spring, and Theresa Powell of Port Angeles, Wash.; one son, Richard Powell of Redwood City, Calif.; one brother, John Powell of Atlanta, and two grandchildren.


75, retired director of finance and data management at the United States Information Agency, died of leukemia Oct. 5 at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital.

Mr. Hardin, who lived in McLean, was born in Brooksville, Miss. He received bachelor's and master's degrees in business administration from Benjamin Franklin University. He had been a resident of this area since 1935. During World War II he served in the Army. He retired from the Army reserves as a colonel in 1972.

From the 1950s until he retired in 1973, Mr. Hardin worked at USIA. Before that, he was a finance officer at the State Department, the Defense Department and the Reconstruction Finance Corp.

He was a member of the George Washington chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution and the International Club of Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Helen Hardin of McLean; one daughter, Priscilla Munson of Lexington, Ky.; one son, Charles George Hardin III of Annapolis; one sister, Pamelia Coleman of West Point, Miss.; one brother, Earnest L. Hardin of Winter Springs, Fla., and four grandchildren.


46, a secretary with Rembert & Hopewell financial advisers at Tysons Corner, died of cancer Oct. 4 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mrs. Chabert, who lived in Burke, was born in Salt Lake City and moved to this area as a child. She graduated from Falls Church High School and attended George Washington University.

During the 1960s she was a legal secretary here. Later she worked for the International Secretariat for Volunteer Services, an affiliate of the United Nations. When that organization relocated in Geneva in 1971 she moved to Geneva. Later she was a secretary for an investment firm in Paris.

While she was living in Paris, she married Ramond Chabert. They have since separated.

About 10 years ago, Mrs. Chabert returned to this area and later became a secretary with Rembert & Hopewell.

She was an artist who painted landscapes, still lifes and portraits and was an amateur pianist.

Survivors include her parents, Ralph E. and Ann B. Spencer of Falls Church, and one brother, Robert Paul Spencer of Fairfax Station.


69, a retired Air Force colonel who at retirement was deputy director of operations for the Office of Special Investigations at Air Force headquarters, died Oct. 4 at Walter Reed Army Hospital after a heart attack.

Col. Walsh, who lived in Fairfax, was born and raised in Boston. He retired from the Air Force in 1968 after 30 years of military service that included duty at posts in Japan, West Germany and Morocco. He was assigned to investigations units for most of his military career.

His military decorations included the Legion of Merit.

Col. Walsh was a member of St. Leo's Catholic Church in Fairfax. He had been a permanent resident of this area since the late 1950s.

Survivors include his wife, Georgina Walsh of Fairfax; two daughters, Sandra Alexander of Reston and Patricia Royse of Manassas; two sons, Gregory Walsh of Manassas Park and Mark Walsh of Lagos, Nigeria; three brothers, Russell and Frank Walsh, both of Boston, and Joseph Walsh of Denver, and five grandchildren.


45, a former marketing executive with Blue Cross-Blue Shield of the National Capital Area, was struck and killed by her own automobile Sept. 30 on a rural highway near Kilmarnock, Va.

A spokesman for the Virginia State Police said Mrs. Hall's body was found about two miles from Kilmarnock on Rte. 669. Her death is being investigated as a homicide, police said.

Mrs. Hall was born in Minneapolis and graduated from the University of Minnesota. She moved to the Washington area in the early 1960s and worked briefly for Braniff Airlines as a reservations clerk. From 1967 to 1985, she worked for Blue Cross-Blue Shield. Since moving to Merry Point two years ago, she had operated an oyster business with her husband.

Her marriage to George Viverette ended in divorce.

Survivors include her husband, Robert J. Hall of Merry Point; three stepdaughters, Helen A. Grant of Waldorf and Carole Ann and Joan Marie Hall, both of Fort Washington; one stepson, Robert J. Hall of Fort Washington; one brother, Robert Broderius, and her mother, Esther Broderius, both of Minneapolis, and one grandchild.


78, a retired owner of Kaplan & Crawford Dodge in Marlow Heights and a past president of the Washington Area Dodge Dealers Advertising Association, died of heart disease Oct. 5 at a hospital in Scottsdale, Ariz., where he had lived since 1980.

Mr. Dworin was born in Cincinnati and grew up in the Washington area. During the 1930s and the 1940s, he was the manager of the old Chevy Chase Supermarket. He became the manager of Kaplan & Crawford in about 1945. He bought the dealership in 1972 and operated it until he retired in 1980 and moved to Arizona.

Mr. Dworin was a member of the Automotive Trade Association of the National Capital Area and the Washingtonian Country Club.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Dworin of Scottsdale; three daughters, Barbara Colihan of Richmond, Tex., Martha Kamlot of Gaithersburg, and Carol Culwell of Phoenix; two sisters, Anna Kaplan and Mollie Block, both of Washington, and seven grandsons.


54, a retired employe of St. Elizabeths Hospital who was active in church groups, died of cancer Oct. 3 at Howard University Hospital. She lived in Washington.

She worked at St. Elizabeths for 21 years before retiring in 1983 as an executive housekeeper. Before joining the hospital, she had been an assistant manager of the PX at Fort McNair from 1959 to 1962. Mrs. Tucker, who had lived in the Washington area since 1948, was a native of Tennessee.

She was a member of the Capital View Baptist Church in Washington where she had served on the usher board and had been president of several clubs.

Survivors include her husband, Aaron, whom she married in 1952, and a daughter, Judy Tucker Hare, both of Washington; six sisters, Agnes Martin of Alexandria, Annette Burnside of Morristown, Tenn., Minnie Jeter of Concord, Tenn., Ada Ingles of Wilberforce, Ohio, and Dorothy Billingsley and Clara Cunningham, both of Xenia, Ohio, and a grandchild.


69, an Alexandria resident since 1980 and a former international banker in Detroit, died Oct. 5 at Washington Hospital Center during surgery to correct an aneurysm.

Mr. Toro was born in Bremen, West Germany. He came to the United States in 1938 as a college student and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania. During World War II he served in the Army in Europe.

After the war, Mr. Toro attended Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies in Washington and served in the late 1940s and early 1950s on the staff of Sen. George W. Malone (R-Nev.).

He was in Michigan from 1951 until he retired in 1979, initially as manager of the foreign trade department of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, then as a foreign trade specialist with the Detroit Bank and Trust Co. and finally as president of Birmingham Overseas Inc.

His wife, Jane Hospelhorn Toro, died in 1979. Survivors include two sisters, Nieves M. Bassler of Green Valley, Ariz., and Gisela A. Walte of Bremen.


53, a college student who had accompanied her husband around the world on assignments with the Army, died of cancer Oct. 5 at Bethesda Naval Medical Center.

Mrs. Ziebell, who lived in Chevy Chase, was born in Columbus, Ga. She had accompanied her husband, retired Col. Earl Ziebell, on assignments to Colorado, Kansas, the Washington area and West Germany. They had been permanent residents of this area for the last 13 years.

Mrs. Ziebell was a graduate of Montgomery College and at the time of her death was studying American literature in an adult degree program sponsored by Vermont College.

In addition to her husband, of Chevy Chase, Mrs. Ziebell is survived by one daughter, Laura Ziebell of New York City; her father, Leon Granberry, and one brother, James Granberry, both of Goldsboro, N.C.


82, a retired Air Force master sergeant who was a secretary with the American Catholic Historical Association at Catholic University for 20 years before retiring a second time in 1984, died of cardiac arrest Oct. 3 at Walter Reed Army Hospital.

Miss Wolf, who was a native of McKeesport, Pa., had lived in the U.S. Soldiers' and Airmen's Home in Washington since retiring from active Air Force duty in 1964. She had served on active duty with the Air Force and the old Army Air Forces, for 21 years.

Survivors include a sister, Stella Qualters of McKeesport.


68, a retired heavy equipment operator for Yeonas construction company, died Oct. 4 at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Perry Point, Md., of complications resulting from a fractured skull suffered in an accidental fall off the front steps of his home in Quantico 20 months ago. He had been in a coma since the fall.

Mr. Gerschefske was born in Missouri and served in the Navy during World War II. Before moving to this area in 1971, he was a chef on a tugboat operating in New York harbor.

He had operated such equipment as bulldozers, front-end loaders and forklifts for Yeonas until he retired in 1985.

Mr. Gerschefske was a member of the American Legion and the Moose.

Survivors include his wife, Mildred Gerschefske of Quantico; one daughter, Mary Wellborn of Stafford, Va.; four grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.