Constantine Tsatsos, 88, president of Greece from 1975 to 1980 and a poet, scholar and law professor, died of a heart ailment Oct. 8 in Athens.

Mr. Tsatsos was elected the first president of the Greek Republic after the collapse of the 1967-74 military dictatorship and the December 1974 referendum that abolished the Greek monarchy. He had served as chairman of the parliamentary committee that prepared Greece's first republican constitution in 1975.

During the 1950s and 1960s, he held several cabinet appointments in liberal Greek governments, including minister of culture and sciences.

He was also a professor of law and philosophy at Athens University. He had written more than 20 books, including volumes of poetry and fiction, essays on Greek philosophy, history and law and translations of ancient Greek writers.

Mr. Tsatsos was born in Athens and educated at Athens University and in Germany where he received a doctorate in philosophy and law at the University of Heidelberg. He joined the faculty of Athens University in 1932.

He was active in the Greek resistance when Greece was occupied by the Nazis during World War II. After the war he combined an academic life with politics.

He stepped down as president in 1980, and was succeeded by Premier Constantine Karamanlis, who had nominated him for the presidency in 1975. Mr. Tsatsos then retired from public life, but remained active as a scholar.

For his literary work he was elected to the Athens Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1961 and the French Academy in 1979.

Mr. Tsatsos is survived by his wife, Ionna Seferiadi, the sister of the late poet and Nobel laureate George Seferis, and two daughters.


86, who was the pastor of the Universalist National Memorial Church here for 40 years before retiring in 1979, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 7 at George Washington University Hospital. He lived in Washington.

A native of New York City, Dr. Brooks graduated from St. Lawrence University in New York in 1922 and from St. Lawrence Theological School in 1924. He received honorary doctor of divinity degrees from St. Lawrence University and Miami University in Ohio.

Dr. Brooks served as the pastor of St. Paul's Universalist Church in Little Falls, N.Y., before taking the same post at the First Universalist Parish in Malden, Mass., in 1929. He moved to the Washington area in 1939 and became the pastor of the Universalist National Memorial Church.

He retired in 1979 and since then had been minister emeritus, preaching only occasionally.

During the 1940s, he had served as the summer preacher at Memorial Church at Harvard University.

Dr. Brooks was a past president of the Washington Ministerial Union and the Inter Church Club of Washington.

He was a Mason and a past president of the 92nd General Convention of Beta Theta Pi, the national college fraternity. He had served on the boards of Planned Parenthood and Americans United for the Separation of Church and State and was a member of the Cosmos Club.

His books include, "In Beta's Broad Domain," published in 1967, "Recollections and Reflections" (1979), "Issues of Life" (1985) and "Interfratres: The Best of Seth" (1986).

His wife, Corinne H. Brooks, died in 1983. Survivors include a brother, John I. Brooks of Hanover, N.H.


48, who operated an industrial supplies distributing business in the Washington area, died of cancer Oct. 7 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Sweeney was born in Salem, Mass. He attended Northeastern Univerity and Bentley College.

Before moving to the Washington area he was president of a North Andover, Mass., company that designed, produced and sold radio equipment for various government agencies.

Since 1980 Mr. Sweeney and a brother had operated Metro Industrial Supplies, a firm that distributed plumbing and electrical equipment and other industrial supplies to government agencies and private businesses.

A resident of Annandale, Mr. Sweeney had been a manager of youth soccer teams for the Braddock Road Youth Club.

His marriage to Maria Sweeney ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Arlene Sweeney, and two children of his second marriage, Lynda and Sara Sweeney, all of Annandale; four sons of his first marriage, Frederick, of Alexandria, Joseph, of Annandale, John, of Laurel, and James, of Peabody, Mass.; two daughters of his first marriage, Maureen Sweeney of Malden, Mass., and Kathleen Barrett of Hudson, N.H.; a brother, Brian Sweeney of Springfield; a sister, Kathleen Sweeney of North Andover; and three grandchildren.


78, a former Washington resident and a retired budget officer with the Department of the Army, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 8 at a nursing home in Fall River, Mass., where she had lived since 1970.

Miss Belanger was born in Fall River and graduated from Worcester Teachers College in Massachusetts. She taught in Massachusetts public schools before moving to the Washington area in 1934 and joining the Bureau of Printing and Engraving.

She transferred to the Army Department in 1939 and worked there until she retired in 1970 and moved back to Massachusetts.

Survivors include a sister, Mrs. Marcelle Duval of Portsmouth, R.I., and a brother, retired Army Col. Renaldo Belanger of Jacksonville, Fla.


78, a retired Agriculture Department lawyer, died of a heart ailment Oct. 2 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Combs was born in Memphis and grew up in Springfield, Mo. He graduated from the University of Missouri where he also earned a law degree. As a young man he financed his education by playing drums in bands and orchestras in Missouri and by conducting musical ensembles.

After graduating from law school, Mr. Combs worked for the U.S. Forest Service in Missouri and he was involved in the acquisition of land for what eventually became Fort Leonard Wood.

In 1946, Mr. Combs moved to the Washington area. He was a lawyer on the staff of the Rural Electrification Administration and later the solicitor's office in the Agriculture Department before he retired in 1973.

His wife, Mary Bernice O'Brien Combs, died in 1981, and a son, Joseph C. Combs Jr., died in 1951 at the age of 1.

Survivors include three sons, James J. Combs of London, John G. Combs of Rockville and G. Edward Combs of Shaker Heights, Ohio; a sister, Claudia Baldwin of Nashville, and three grandchildren.


62, a retired Navy chief petty officer and a former budget officer with the Naval Bureau of Personnel, died of an aneurysm Sept. 29 at a hospital in Las Vegas, where he was vacationing.

Mr. Lum, who moved from the Washington area to Holiday, Fla., five years ago, was born in Honolulu. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific. He remained in the service after the war and was transferred to the Washington area in 1950.

He had additional assignments in the Pacific and elsewhere before retiring from active duty at the Naval Bureau of Personnel in 1964. For the next 16 years, he was a civilian employe there. He retired for the second time in 1980 and moved to Florida in 1982.

Mr. Lum was a past treasurer of the Hawaiian State Society and was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Fleet Reserve Association.

Survivors include his wife, Velma Lum of Holiday; one son, David Lum of Woodbridge, Va.; two daughters, Christine Wallace of Atlanta and Geraldine Daniels of Long Beach, N.Y.; his mother, Alice Y.Y. Chine Lum of Honolulu; three brothers, Francis and Herbert Lum, both of Honolulu, and Gerald Lum of Las Vegas; two sisters, Rose Takamori of Honolulu and Bernice Jones of Essington, Pa., and three grandchildren.