William B. Bergen, 72, former vice president of Martin Marietta Corp., the Bethesda-based conglomerate, and a former president of the aerospace group of Rockwell International, died of cancer Oct. 9 at his home in St. Michaels, Md.

Mr. Bergen, an aeronautical engineer, spent virtually his entire professional career in projects related to aviation and aerospace. He was president of the aerospace group at Rockwell International in the late 1960s when the company was the primary contractor for the manned Apollo flights to the moon.

At the Baltimore-based Glenn L. Martin Co., a predecessor company of Martin Marietta, he headed the first guided missile section, which was established immediately after World War II.

Mr. Bergen had worked 30 years for the companies that became Martin Marietta, before he resigned in 1967. At the time he was president of the Martin Co., a division of Martin Marietta, and vice president of the parent company.

Later Mr. Bergen worked another 10 years with the companies that became Rockwell International before he retired again in the late 1970s. As president of the space division of Rockwell he directed the company's $3.6 billion contract to build 19 Apollo spacecraft command modules and 19 engines for the moon rocket.

A native of Floral Park, N.Y., Mr. Bergen graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and joined the Glenn L. Martin firm on graduation.

During World War II he was influential in the development of testing methods to determine flight loads that military aircraft were capable of carrying.

Later, Mr. Bergen was influential in the development of the first U.S. operational tactical missiles, the Air Force Matador and the Navy's Viking.

He became vice president of Martin in 1951 and president in 1959; then when Martin Marietta was formed in 1963 he became a vice president of Martin Marietta.

Mr. Bergen lived in Baltimore until joining Rockwell. He lived in California until he retired and had lived since then in St. Michaels. In retirement, he spent a year as head of the space division of Rolls-Royce in England.

He was a member of Conquistadores del Cielo.

His marriage to the former Gertrude Coxon ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Eleanor M. Bergen of St. Michaels; and two children of his first marriage, William B. Bergen Jr. of Baltimore and Lynn Louise Bergen of Phoenix, Md.


82, who held a number of high Army intelligence posts before retiring in 1964 as a major general and who was a member of the CIA's Board of National Estimates from 1965 to 1970, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 4 at Alexandria Hospital. He lived in Alexandria.

From 1963 until retiring the following year, he was commanding general of the Army Intelligence Center and commandant of the Army Intelligence School at Fort Holabird, Md. From 1961 to 1963, he had been intelligence director of the joint staff at the Pentagon.

Gen. Collins was called to active duty in 1940. After three years with the field artillery, he went to England in 1943 as an intelligence officer. After the war, he served with Army Intelligence in Washington. From 1949 to 1950, he was executive officer of the 2nd Infantry Division's artillery.

During the Korean conflict, he served in Japan as assistant staff intelligence officer for the Far East Armed Forces. After that, he served with in the office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. From 1954 to 1960, he was director of security, mapping, and combat intelligence in the office of the Army assistant chief of staff for intelligence. From 1960 to 1961, he was a member of the International Armistice Commission in Korea.

Gen. Collins was a 1926 graduate of Harvard University and a 1930 graduate of its medical school. He practiced family medicine in his native Waltham, Mass., for seven years and also taught obstetrics and surgery before entering the Army.

He was a graduate of the National War College. He lectured groups of staff officers on history and military strategy. His military decorations included the Legion of Merit and the Distinguished Service Medal. He also was a recipient of the CIA's Intelligence Medal of Merit.

Survivors include his wife, the former Jean Chapman, of Alexandria; a daughter, Deborah Collins Chapel of Dallas; a sister, Elizabeth C. Stewart of Reston, and a grandchild.


45, an official at the Small Business Administration, died Oct. 8 at George Washington University Hospital. He had acquired immune deficiency syndrome.

Mr. Sallada came to the Washington area in 1969. From that time until 1982, he worked at HEW in such fields as environmental policy development, education, civil rights, education and child development.

During 1983, he was a deputy director and operations chief of the Peace Corps' program development office. He then spent a year as an executive assistant to Secretary of Transportation Elizabeth H. Dole, and a year as technical coordinator of the World Industry Conference on Environmental Management in Paris, before joining the Small Business Administration in 1986.

Mr. Sallada had worked with the Episcopal diocese of Washington AIDS task force. He was the author of the book, "The Spirit of Versailles: The Business of Environmental Management."

He was a native of Springfield, Pa., and a graduate of Syracuse University. He received a master's degree in public administration from Harvard University. He was a Peace Corps volunteer in India and Nepal from 1964 to 1967, then spent a year with the New York state university system. He also had been a research assistant with the Nixon presidential campaign in New York before moving here.

His marriage to the former Anne Halley ended in divorce.

Survivors include his parents, Henry L. and Anna Mae Detweiler Sallada, both of Clearwater, Fla., and a sister, Joyce Anne Orebaugh of New Port Richey, Fla.


69, a retired Washington Navy Yard machinist who as a young man was a well-known athlete in the Washington area, died of cancer Oct. 4 at Southern Maryland Hospital Center.

Mr. Lomax, who lived in Forestville, was born in Washington and graduated from the old Western High School where he was a member of the 1937 city championship basketball team.

He served in the Navy in the Atlantic during World War II and went to work at the Navy Yard after the war. He retired in the late 1960s.

Mr. Lomax had played on several amateur softball teams in the Washington area, and he had been a referee at high school and college basketball games here.

Survivors include his wife, Eleanor Lomax of Forestville; three daughters, Margie Joerger of District Heights, Jane Faff of Fairfax, Sharon Shelton of Waldorf; a brother, Robert E. Lomax of Rockville, and three grandchildren.


59, a retired supervisor with the data systems office of the D.C. Department of Finance and Revenue, died of emphysema Oct. 7 at Howard University Hospital. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Banks was born in Washington and graduated from the old Armstrong Technical High School. She joined the Department of Finance and Revenue in 1962 and retired for health reasons in 1983.

She was a member of New Bethel Baptist Church in Washington.

Her marriage to the Rev. Lyford W. Banks Sr. ended in divorce.

Survivors include two daughters, Lavonia B. Linder and Donna Marie Banks, two sons, Ricardo and Lyford W. Banks Jr., and three sisters, Junetta Banks, Roseanna Harrison, and Constance Wallace, all of Washington, and six grandchildren.


82, a retired engineering consultant and a former employe of the Arinc Research Corp. in Annapolis, died of cardiorespiratory failure Oct. 9 at his home in Chevy Chase.

Dr. Jervis was born in Turin, Italy. He moved to this country in 1932 and settled in Cambridge, Mass., where he attended Harvard University. He graduated from the University of Milan and earned a doctorate in engineering from the Polytechnic Institute of Turin.

He was an engineer with the National Video Corp. in Chicago before moving to the Washington area in 1952 and joining Arinc as an engineer. He became an independent engineering consultant in 1966 and retired about 1977.

Dr. Jervis was a member of New York Avenue Presbyterian Church, where he served as a deacon, and had been a volunteer with the D.C. Meals-on-Wheels program.

Survivors include his wife, Helen J. Jervis of Chevy Chase; one son, Dr. Thomas Jervis of Los Alamos, N.M.; two daughters, Dr. Jane Jervis of Hamilton, N.J., and the Rev. Madeline Jervis of Arlington, and four grandchildren.


61, a Washington native and a World War II veteran who had worked as a custodian, died of lung cancer Sept. 28 at a hospital in Paterson, N.J. He had lived in Paterson since 1984.

Mr. Washington served in the Army during World War II and worked for the old Post Office Department during the late 1940s. During the 1950s, he worked for a senior citizens program in Paterson. In later years he worked on various jobs as a custodian. He retired in 1977 and moved to New Jersey three years ago.

He was a member of Moriah Baptist Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Eleanor Gaines Washington of Washington; two daughters, Barbara Beverly and Beverly Melvin, both of Washington; three sons, Brenon Washington of District Heights, and Tyrone and Raymond Washington Jr., both of Washington; one sister, Alberta Tillman of Paterson, and 14 grandchildren.


69, who retired in 1976 as chief of the Army Materiel Command's electronic warfare and signal security branch, died of cancer Oct. 8 at the Mount Vernon Nursing Center in Alexandria. He lived in Alexandria.

Mr. Jaszczult, who moved here in 1940, was born in Jersey City. He graduated from the New Jersey Institute of Technology. He joined the Materiel Command after serving in the Army Signal Corps during World War II.

His first wife, the former Laura Margaret Watkins, died in 1953. His second wife, Monica Fern Wheelock, died in 1982. Survivors include three children by his first marriage, Celecte J. Aquilino of Herndon, Lois H. Gabby of Spokane, Wash., and Richard L. Jaszczult of Portland, Ore.; one brother, Zennon Jaszczult of Union, N.J., and four grandchildren.


73, a retired chief of the foreign geology section of the U.S. Geological Survey, died of cancer Oct. 10 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Falls Church.

Mr. Schoechle was born in Marion, Ohio. During the 1930s, he played violin with the Marion Symphony Orchestra. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II. He moved to the Washington area about 1946 and worked for the Smithsonian Institution before joining the Geological Survey in the late 1940s. He retired in about 1972.

His first wife, the former Mary Louise Duncan, died in 1978. Survivors include his wife, the former Bernice Doster of Falls Church; four children by his first marriage, Jennifer Schoechle of Annandale, Lisa Schoechle of Alexandria, Susan Canterbury of Fairplay, Colo., and Timothy Schoechle of Boulder, Colo., and four grandchildren.


83, an area resident since the early 1950s who was a Baltimore native and an opera singer in Europe in the 1930s, died Oct. 9 at Carriage Hill nursing home in Silver Spring. She had diabetes.

Mrs. Zlotnick lived in Chevy Chase.

Her first husband, Don Felice Sirigmano, died about 1940. Her second husband, Samuel Zlotnick, died in 1954. Her survivors include a daughter by her first marriage, Autilia Ledy of Las Vegas; a sister, Estelle Reiner of Chevy Chase, and a grandchild.


90, a retired employe of the Civil Service Commission who had been a Navy yeomanette during World War I, died Oct. 9 at Washington Adventist Hospital. She had congestive heart failure.

She worked for the Civil Service Commission for about 30 years before retiring in 1951 as a supervisor in its retirement division.

Mrs. Hames, who had lived in the Colonial Villa nursing home in Silver Spring for the past three years, was a native of Washington. She was a graduate of Western High School.

She was a member of the Palisades Community Church in Washington.

Her husband, Clifford Hames, died in 1944. There are no immediate survivors.