Fahri Koruturk, 84, a retired admiral and former navy commander-in-chief who was president of Turkey from 1973 to 1980, died Oct. 12 in Istanbul after a heart attack.

His election in 1973 took 25 days and 15 parliamentary ballots after civilian political leaders rejected the army's nomination of Gen. Faruk Gurler, a former chief of the general staff. Six months after Adm. Koruturk left office, Turkey experienced its third military coup in 20 years.

As an independent moderate, he called on the two main political leaders -- conservative Suleyman Demirel and Social Democrat Bulent Ecevit -- to cooperate in solving the political crisis and to prevent terrorism.

The name Koruturk, or "Protector of Turks," was given him by Kemal Ataturk, founder of the Turkish Republic and builder of modern Turkey, who was president from 1923 to 1938.

Adm. Koruturk was born in Istanbul. He entered Turkey's naval school at the age of 13 and was commissioned in 1923. He became an intelligence officer, serving as naval attache in Rome, Berlin and Stockholm in the late 1930s.

He was appointed head of military intelligence in 1954 and three years later became naval commander-in-chief. After resigning from the navy he served as ambassador in Moscow and Madrid.

MARY DAVIS WATTS, 89, a retired administrative assistant at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in the Commerce Department, died Oct. 7 at her home in Washington after a heart attack.

Mrs. Watts was born in Louisville, Miss. She graduated from Southern Seminary, now Radford College, and moved to Washington in the early 1930s.

She worked for the Washington Times-Herald newspaper until World War II and then joined the U.S. Weather Service. This became part of NOAA and Mrs. Watts remained there until retiring about 1963.

She was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star.

Her husband, J. Taylor Watts, died in 1952. A daughter, Mary Jo Watts, died in 1932. There are no immediate survivors.

ANTHONY SCOTT PETERSON, 18, a Falls Church native who lived in Northern Virginia until moving to California in January 1986, died Oct. 9 at a hospital in Walnut Creek, Calif., as a result of injuries he had received in a motorcycle accident earlier that day.

A spokesman for the California Highway Patrol said that Mr. Peterson was driving a motorcyle along a road near Clayton, Calif., when he strayed into the path of an oncoming pickup truck while waving to friends at the side of the road.

Mr. Peterson attended Great Falls Elementary School and Langley High School in McLean before moving to California. He graduated from high school in California and was a student at Diablo Valley College there at the time of his death.

He had been a member of Christ the King Lutheran Church in Great Falls. He also had been an acolyte at the church.

Survivors include his parents, Gary and Jill Peterson of Great Falls; two brothers, Christopher and Matthew, both of Charlottesville; three sisters, Amy Swineford of Attleboro, Mass., Becky Peterson of Charlottesville, and Robin Joy of Great Falls, and his maternal grandparents, Jack and Maggie Feeley of Fort Myers, Fla.